PDA

View Full Version : Finally..........

Rebel Yell
12-11-2008, 09:31 AM
I started back deer hunting this year. I killed one doe about a month ago, and haven't seen shit since. So, I decided to try out behind my grandma's house wednesday. We planted some rye for the cows in the very back pasture, and no one has hunted it this year, except my Dad hunted it once. I get out there about 4:30 PM. Around 5:45 - 6:00 FIVE FRICKIN DEER walk out. My dad saw a big buck out there last week, so I started to wait on him since they usually follow does. But I needed meat.

One of the does looked up right at me then looked away as another looked at me. Finally, I heard one of them blow. For those that don't know, that means they know somethings not quite right. That's when I decided it was now or never, so I propped up on the rail of the stand and shot the smallest one. The rest stared running around trying to find out where it came from. I found the next smallest one, and shot. Then I saw another one and shot again. In all I shot four times and brought home THREE DEER. A doe and two yearlings.

For the record, I found two shots on one deer. Not bad for somebody who, other than making sure my scope was still sighted in before season and shooting a deer about a month ago, hasn't shot in YEARS.

megimoo
12-11-2008, 09:40 AM
I started back deer hunting this year. I killed one doe about a month ago, and haven't seen shit since. So, I decided to try out behind my grandma's house wednesday. We planted some rye for the cows in the very back pasture, and no one has hunted it this year, except my Dad hunted it once. I get out there about 4:30 PM. Around 5:45 - 6:00 FIVE FRICKIN DEER walk out. My dad saw a big buck out there last week, so I started to wait on him since they usually follow does. But I needed meat.

One of the does looked up right at me then looked away as another looked at me. Finally, I heard one of them blow. For those that don't know, that means they know somethings not quite right. That's when I decided it was now or never, so I propped up on the rail of the stand and shot the smallest one. The rest stared running around trying to find out where it came from. I found the next smallest one, and shot. Then I saw another one and shot again. In all I shot four times and brought home THREE DEER. A doe and two yearlings.

For the record, I found two shots on one deer. Not bad for somebody who, other than making sure my scope was still sighted in before season and shooting a deer about a month ago, hasn't shot in YEARS.How many are you allowed ?

Rebel Yell
12-11-2008, 09:45 AM
How many are you allowed ?

You're allowed 12

10 does

2 bucks

megimoo
12-11-2008, 09:49 AM
You're allowed 12

10 does

2 bucksYou always shoot the 'runt doe's '?

Gingersnap
12-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Congratulations! Send a few loins my way, okay? :D

Rebel Yell
12-11-2008, 09:52 AM
You always shoot the 'runt doe's '?

Yearlings make a much more tender roast. When hunting for meat, always go for the small does and yearlings.

Rebel Yell
12-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Congratulations! Send a few loins my way, okay? :D

I'll be grilling backstrap and tenderloins next weekend.;)

marinejcksn
12-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Congrats! Sounds like you'll have a stocked fridge this winter. What'd they field dress?

That's crazy, ya'll are allowed 12 deer a season? What state?

My uncle just got back to me with our camp's results for the year:

Had 20 hunters in camp for bear season, 1 bruin seen but no shot

19 hunters for the 1st week of buck season. Three nice 8 pointers were killed, my Uncle Dave won the raffle for the biggest rack. Said they saw 21 bucks total, about 12 were shooters (Where we hunt in Pennsylvania they need at least 3 visible points per side to be legal) and dad said he saw the biggest rack buck of his life (which was probably massive because he's got some real bruisers over the years to include a 10 point in '86 that's still got a 21" spread :eek:)

BadCat
12-11-2008, 10:03 AM
You shot them?

I seen your "east coast" deer.

My golden retriever is bigger than most of them

You don't need to shoot them, just hold out an apple in your hand and hide a hammer behind your back.

marinejcksn
12-11-2008, 10:07 AM
All this great hunting and I'm stuck in the damn desert (freezing cold too!) :mad:

Ah well, Fall 2009 I'm heading back to Pa for 3 days of bear & 14 days of buck hunting with dad. Just some great Deer Camp guys, my Browning BLR .308 and some of this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/35/Crown_Royal_-_Box_Bottle_Bag.jpg

Steep Hollow View tradition is you buy a "buck bottle" for every kill in camp and it's finished before morning. Great times. :D

patriot45
12-11-2008, 10:18 AM
You shot them?

You don't need to shoot them, just hold out an apple in your hand and hide a hammer behind your back.

What!? Take a look at this mean old Key deer terrorizing these poor bikers!! Vicious, I tell ya!:D

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/AAAADEER.jpg

Rebel Yell
12-11-2008, 10:39 AM
You shot them?

They sure do eat good though.:D

megimoo
12-11-2008, 10:46 AM
They sure do eat good though.:DWhat are you shooting and what weight/size round ?And at what range approx ?Scope.what power ?

BadCat
12-11-2008, 10:48 AM
What are you shooting and what weight/size round ?And at what range approx ?Scope.what power ?

Red Delicious with a 3 lb Estwing.

megimoo
12-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Red Delicious with a 3 lb Estwing.BlunderBuss loaded with frozen fish ?

noonwitch
12-11-2008, 02:04 PM
According to Nugent's language, you harvested 3 deer!

Rebel Yell
12-12-2008, 09:00 AM
What are you shooting and what weight/size round ?And at what range approx ?Scope.what power ?

Winchester .243 shooting Federal Premium Sierra Boattail 100 grain. Scope: Tasco Woodland
3 - 9 x 40.

Not quite the cannon my old man shoots. He shoots an STW.

megimoo
12-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Winchester .243 shooting Federal Premium Sierra Boattail 100 grain. Scope: Tasco Woodland
3 - 9 x 40.

Not quite the cannon my old man shoots. He shoots an STW.I have a civil War Tower Hill .58 oversized to .68 black powder cap and ball that was used at Gettysburg .If I used that with a MiniBall on a small dear I would be lucky to have hamburger left over.

Rebel Yell
12-12-2008, 09:38 AM
I have a civil War Tower Hill .58 oversized to .68 black powder cap and ball that was used at Gettysburg .If I used that with a MiniBall on a small dear I would be lucky to have hamburger left over.

I'm too lazy to use a muzzle loader.:D

I do know people who use them ( we have a short season for them before "gun" season). I just figure if more than one walks out, I'll never get that second shot off.

BadCat
12-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Black powder is the only way I hunt anymore (besides birds). Too many yahoos with high powered rifles that shoot anything that moves during rifle season.

I use a T/C Hawken in 50 cal, and I carry a Ruger Old Army pistol in .44 in case a coup de grace is required.

Rebel Yell
12-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Black powder is the only way I hunt anymore (besides birds). Too many yahoos with high powered rifles that shoot anything that moves during rifle season.

I use a T/C Hawken in 50 cal, and I carry a Ruger Old Army pistol in .44 in case a coup de grace is required.

Black powder may be OK for the sport, but I'm hunting strictly for meat. I won't have to buy any beef til next season, except for the occasional steak.

marinejcksn
12-12-2008, 10:45 PM
3 - 9 x 40.

Not quite the cannon my old man shoots. He shoots an STW.

Tasco always catches crap from the more cash-heavy hunters I know who buy Leopold's and stuff, but they actually make a decent scope. I've always been told .243 is too light for whitetail deer but we've got a guy in camp who almost always kills a nice buck every single year, always with his .243.

I've taken 4-5 big does with my .308, I love that gun because since it's 7.62 NATO you can always get surplus ammo dirt cheap! The only buck I've ever gotten was with dad's 30.06 and that thing just demolished it, blew chunks of lung onto the tree it was standing in front of and when I field dressed it the boattail has split it's heart in half. Hell of a lot of damage.

BadCat
12-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Tasco always catches crap from the more cash-heavy hunters I know who buy Leopold's and stuff, but they actually make a decent scope. I've always been told .243 is too light for whitetail deer but we've got a guy in camp who almost always kills a nice buck every single year, always with his .243.

I've taken 4-5 big does with my .308, I love that gun because since it's 7.62 NATO you can always get surplus ammo dirt cheap! The only buck I've ever gotten was with dad's 30.06 and that thing just demolished it, blew chunks of lung onto the tree it was standing in front of and when I field dressed it the boattail has split it's heart in half. Hell of a lot of damage.

.308s and .30.06 will do that.
You should see what a 7mm Rem Mag does to an antelope.

marinejcksn
12-14-2008, 12:41 AM
.308s and .30.06 will do that.
You should see what a 7mm Rem Mag does to an antelope.

I'm guessing it ain't pretty. Dad uses a 7mm Mag as his new favorite buck rifle and that thing tears a good size whitetail apart. On an antelope...:eek:

djones520
12-14-2008, 12:44 AM
Congrats! Sounds like you'll have a stocked fridge this winter. What'd they field dress?

That's crazy, ya'll are allowed 12 deer a season? What state?

My uncle just got back to me with our camp's results for the year:

Had 20 hunters in camp for bear season, 1 bruin seen but no shot

19 hunters for the 1st week of buck season. Three nice 8 pointers were killed, my Uncle Dave won the raffle for the biggest rack. Said they saw 21 bucks total, about 12 were shooters (Where we hunt in Pennsylvania they need at least 3 visible points per side to be legal) and dad said he saw the biggest rack buck of his life (which was probably massive because he's got some real bruisers over the years to include a 10 point in '86 that's still got a 21" spread :eek:)

I know, those numbers are nuts. In Michigan your allowed 3 deer the whole year in most counties. 2 Bucks, and 1 Doe.

I myself woulda gone for the larger and older deer, but I guess if the population is that large to allow hunters to take that many, then it doesn't really matter.