PDA

View Full Version : Urgent: House Democrats call for nationalization of refineries

megimoo
06-18-2008, 08:30 PM
House Democrats responded to President's Bush's call for Congress to lift the moratorium on offshore drilling. This was at an on-camera press conference fed back live. Among other things, the Democrats called for the government to own refineries so it could better control the flow of the oil supply. They also reasserted that the reason the Appropriations Committee markup (where the vote on the amendment to lift the ban) was cancelled so they could focus on preparing the supplemental Iraq spending bill for tomorrow. At an off-camera briefing, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) said the same. And a senior...

http://www.foxnews.com/urgent_queue/index.html#a54ef44,2008-06-18

Cold Warrior
06-18-2008, 08:39 PM
How many people here think that might be a good idea (I don't btw)? However, some recent threads make me suspect that conservatives, when capitalism bites them in the ass, react just like liberals and cry for "Mother Government."

FeebMaster
06-18-2008, 09:01 PM
How many people here think that might be a good idea (I don't btw)? However, some recent threads make me suspect that conservatives, when capitalism bites them in the ass, react just like liberals and cry for "Mother Government."

Conservatives hate capitalism. Sure, most aren't going to call for outright nationalization of an industry, but they sure love using government to give their pet companies any advantage possible.

Free markets are scary.

megimoo
06-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Don't be confused Government,This government especially,couldn't run a house of ill repute without outside help.Government should keep the hell out of the way of business,all they ever do is tax it regulate it and try to destroy it .

Politicians are natural 'busybodies' who meddle in all things and 'Muck' them up and really never improve anything.
They ,the liberals,feel a need to take from business and give to their supporters creating first an atmosphere of class envy and the justification for their meddling with Business.
The liberal mantra is 'Big Oil' is taking our money due to high gasoline prices while they and their lackeys all invest in big oil's stocks !

megimoo
06-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Conservatives hate capitalism. Sure, most aren't going to call for outright nationalization of an industry, but they sure love using government to give their pet companies any advantage possible.

Free markets are scary.Beats the hell out of the alternative don't you think ?

SarasotaRepub
06-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Fucking stupid idea.

:rolleyes:

Cold Warrior
06-18-2008, 09:09 PM

Free markets are scary.

See this thread (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?t=708) and tell me that half the posters aren't implicitly advocating nationalization of the oil industry.

FeebMaster
06-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Beats the hell out of the alternative don't you think ?

Sure, but I think governments are way scarier than a completely free market.

See this thread (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?t=708) and tell me that half the posters aren't implicitly advocating nationalization of the oil industry.

Okay, maybe "most" was a bit optimistic. That's what I get for trying to me nice for a change.

megimoo
06-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Sure, but I think governments are way scarier than a completely free market.

Okay, maybe "most" was a bit optimistic. That's what I get for trying to me nice for a change.And I agree with you !

Goldwater
06-18-2008, 09:23 PM

As Milton Friedman said, "Corporations love the free market when they're doing well, they love government when something goes wrong."

It takes conservatives and capitalists with balls to be staunch free marketers in the face of both scenarios.

gator
06-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Lets see The refiners wiil"

Will be unionized and the unions will send money to the Democrats.

Will be required to be "green".

Will be dedicated to assuring "social justice".

Will be required to hire minorities.

Will allocate the products to the disadvantaged.

etc, etc

Nubs
06-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Pardon for the following language, BUT

THIS IS THE MOST F*CKING STUPID, ILL-TIMED ACTION EVER

I can tell you this. There is a Canadian oil company that has invested $USD 100 Million to begin the design and permiting phase for a $USD 9 Billion refinery to be built in New Brunswick. Yes I know this in not subject to US nationalization. However, as they have explained in meetings, they are reconsidering construction due to impending economic slowdown and political uncertainty.

Moral of the story, why would any US comany want to commit to building a multi billion dollar facility with the uncertainty of a veto proof Democratic Congress voting for confiscation of their investment?? This single vote will cause no new refineries to be built and no large expansion or modernization of existing facilities. The expanding demand for gas will not be met.

In all seriousness, I see gas lines in the future. We are in some serious trouble.