PDA

View Full Version : REL: Bible Reading Plans

Gingersnap
12-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Every year I do this thread for interested CUers. A lot of people would like to read the bible every day but they get sidetracked. A reading plan really helps to keep you focused. Since the New Year is a natural time to start a plan (although anytime is just fine), I like to point people toward a comprehensive plan that is very easy to follow.

The Christadelphians (http://www.christadelphia.org/biblestudy/index.html) will be happy to send you a set of three laminated book marks that cover the Old Testament once and the New Testament twice over 365 days beginning with January 1. These bookmarks are completely free and the organization doesn't hound you with unwanted mail. I use this set and I like it a lot. You can also download the program here (http://www.christadelphia.org/readplan.htm) if you like.

This isn't the only (or best) plan out there. People have come up with many different approaches to this idea. If you have a plan that you like, tell us all about it here. :)

BSR
12-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Every year I do this thread for interested CUers. A lot of people would like to read the bible every day but they get sidetracked. A reading plan really helps to keep you focused. Since the New Year is a natural time to start a plan (although anytime is just fine), I like to point people toward a comprehensive plan that is very easy to follow.

The Christadelphians (http://www.christadelphia.org/biblestudy/index.html) will be happy to send you a set of three laminated book marks that cover the Old Testament once and the New Testament twice over 365 days beginning with January 1. These bookmarks are completely free and the organization doesn't hound you with unwanted mail. I use this set and I like it a lot. You can also download the program here (http://www.christadelphia.org/readplan.htm) if you like.

This isn't the only (or best) plan out there. People have come up with many different approaches to this idea. If you have a plan that you like, tell us all about it here. :)

My family has a one year bible. It's pretty cool. Same principal as this.

http://clarindasays.blogspot.com/2008/02/one-year-bible.html

each day has a New Testament, Old Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs.. 15 min a day for 365 days and you've read the entire bible.

M21
12-11-2008, 01:23 PM
If you have a plan that you like, tell us all about it here. :)

Good stuff Gingersnap. Thanks. :)

I study one hour a day and I've been through the Bible line by line using THESE NOTES AND COMMENTARIES (http://www.soniclight.com/constable/notes.htm). Because these expository notes originate from DTS (Dallas Theological Seminary) they have a decidedly dispensational bent to them. That's fine for most folks and easily recognizable for those who aren't so inclined. Dr Constables eschatology is also pre-tribulationist as you’d expected.

I'd say for a new believer a great place to start is to purchase a Harmony of the Four Gospels (http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=5642X&event=CF) and read their way through several times. A harmony, for those who don't know, "presents the events of the life of Christ(LOC)in a standard order. The main value of this Harmony is in combining the synoptic and connected narrative approaches by using parallel columns showing each gospel, and employing bolded font to indicate the connected narrative as it flows through each gospel account."

I use the particular harmony in the link I provided and it is a valuable companion to the Scriptures.

Soli Deo gloria ;)

linda22003
12-11-2008, 04:24 PM
I start out pretty well, but I always get bogged down in the "begats".

Gingersnap
12-11-2008, 07:38 PM
I start out pretty well, but I always get bogged down in the "begats".

Well, we all do, I think. Reading the bible daily isn't a ritualistic effort (or it shouldn't be). I don't think the Lord is particularly peeved if you just sort of skim the Begets. I mean, it's not like there's vital salvation info in there.

Sometimes what I do is combine reading with listening. This is very helpful to me in some of the OT passages (the begets would among them). I use cds and listen to some of the more......less fascinating passages. I still get the content but it's not quite so much of an effort. I have read these, of course, but I don't think that I have to do a line-by-line analysis every year. ;)

M21
12-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Sometimes what I do is combine reading with listening. This is very helpful to me in some of the OT passages (the begets would among them). I use cds and listen to some of the more......less fascinating passages. I still get the content but it's not quite so much of an effort. I have read these, of course, but I don't think that I have to do a line-by-line analysis every year. ;)

Do you like to listen to commentary besides an audio Bible and if so whom?

Gingersnap
12-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Do you like to listen to commentary besides an audio Bible and if so whom?

I've never used an audio commentary but it sounds intriguing! Which one do you use?

M21
12-12-2008, 12:53 PM
I've never used an audio commentary but it sounds intriguing! Which one do you use?I don't use a commentary per se but I receive the daily podcasts from Grace to You - John MacArthur and also Truth for Life - Alistair Begg.

I also used to listen to Love Worth Finding - Adrian Rogers and I enjoyed listening to Ravi Zacharias on occasion.

Gingersnap
12-12-2008, 08:01 PM
I don't use a commentary per se but I receive the daily podcasts from Grace to You - John MacArthur and also Truth for Life - Alistair Begg.

I also used to listen to Love Worth Finding - Adrian Rogers and I enjoyed listening to Ravi Zacharias on occasion.

I listen to Adrian Rogers every morning on the way into work. That guy knew how to preach. ;)

FlaGator
12-12-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm one of those everyday readers. I set a few weeks aside to go through the whole book every year and then do selective reading based on what every biblical subject I'm studying at the time.

Gingersnap
12-12-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm one of those everyday readers. I set a few weeks aside to go through the whole book every year and then do selective reading based on what every biblical subject I'm studying at the time.

Do you just read straight though?

FlaGator
12-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Do you just read straight though?

Yes. I start at Genesis and go right through Revelation. Depending on what is going on in my life it takes me 4 to 5 weeks

FlaGator
12-12-2008, 08:52 PM
For truth's sake I should say that some years I'm more diligent (read thorough) than others.

Gingersnap
12-12-2008, 09:00 PM
For truth's sake I should say that some years I'm more diligent (read thorough) than others.

Like Linda's Begats....I know what you mean.

I once read about a guy who just continuously read the bible. I mean, read it like you or I would read novels - not portions for study particularly. He had actually memorized about 70% of it when I saw the story a few years ago.

Gingersnap
12-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Bumping for Glory. :)