PDA

View Full Version : Could you Survive Another Great Depression? Quiz.

Gingersnap
12-11-2008, 12:53 PM
You Are 64% Likely to Survive Another Great Depression

http://www.blogthingsimages.com/couldyousurviveanothergreatdepressionquiz/depression-3.jpg

Even though you may not be expecting the worst, you're the type of person who prepares for the worst.
You live a relatively modest life. You don't overspend, and you aren't very materialistic.

You are also quite self sufficient and independent. You have many useful skills.
You can take care of yourself and those you love... which is crucial to surviving another Great Depression.

Could You Survive Another Great Depression? (http://www.blogthings.com/couldyousurviveanothergreatdepressionquiz/)

I think my chances are a little bit better than that. :cool:

lacarnut
12-11-2008, 01:06 PM
72% here. Think my score should be higher.

M21
12-11-2008, 01:44 PM
80% In the winter I'll burn my neighbors to stay warm. :D

You have been saving for a rainy day... or a rainy few years.
While most people may not have as grim of an outlook as you, they're also not as prepared as you.

If society collapses, you'll have plenty of food and resources for you and your loved ones.
And plenty of ammo for anyone who wants to steal from your stockpile!

linda22003
12-11-2008, 04:19 PM
69%! I'll outlast Ginger!

Even though you may not be expecting the worst, you're the type of person who prepares for the worst.
You live a relatively modest life. You don't overspend, and you aren't very materialistic.

You are also quite self sufficient and independent. You have many useful skills.
You can take care of yourself and those you love... which is crucial to surviving another Great Depression.

Phillygirl
12-11-2008, 04:49 PM
You Are 59% Likely to Survive Another Great Depression

I think I need to buy a gun...or meet the neighbors.

Molon Labe
12-11-2008, 04:54 PM
....I need much more ammo....I can't fix much.....and I need to plant a garden...
I also can't just ride my bike to the Qwik mart from the country.

Rebel Yell
12-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Could You Survive Another Great Depression?
You Are 80% Likely to Survive Another Great Depression

You have been saving for a rainy day... or a rainy few years.
While most people may not have as grim of an outlook as you, they're also not as prepared as you.

If society collapses, you'll have plenty of food and resources for you and your loved ones.
And plenty of ammo for anyone who wants to steal from your stockpile!

Depression ain't that bad for those of us who are already poor and can stock up on deer and fish.

Gingersnap
12-11-2008, 07:26 PM
69%! I'll outlast Ginger!

Doubtful. :p

I think I scored low because I don't have any valuable coins, I have to drive to get to work, and we've been doing the Annual Chow Down The Stored Stuff.

Oddly enough, they ask didn't the kinds of questions that my grandparents would have considered germane (and they lived through the Depression):

Will you take any work?
Can you make a supper out of corn meal and salt pork?
Can you live entirely on cash or barter or some combination of the two?
How do you feel about eating a lot of rabbit?

Phillygirl
12-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Doubtful. :p

I think I scored low because I don't have any valuable coins, I have to drive to get to work, and we've been doing the Annual Chow Down The Stored Stuff.

Oddly enough, they ask didn't the kinds of questions that my grandparents would have considered germane (and they lived through the Depression):

Will you take any work?
Can you make a supper out of corn meal and salt pork?
Can you live entirely on cash or barter or some combination of the two?
How do you feel about eating a lot of rabbit?

I was pretty surprised about the questions as well. Especially the fact that there was no question about marketable skills and willingness to "lower" yourself in terms of employment choice. In my experience, that is one of the primary reasons for unemployment. "Holding out for management" is simply unrealistic at a certain point in time.

Another issue for me, personally, has been having actual cash on hand. I have many friends in NYC. I have learned from 9/11 to always have a decent amount of cash that I can readily access in the event of an unplanned emergency (such as all electronics, etc., being shut down for several days), in addition to simple necessary survival in the unlikely event that I run through all my savings, my credit, and have no employment. Granted, I haven't covered the gold aspect...yet.

SarasotaRepub
12-11-2008, 08:15 PM
66% here! :D

Gingersnap
12-11-2008, 08:50 PM
I was pretty surprised about the questions as well. Especially the fact that there was no question about marketable skills and willingness to "lower" yourself in terms of employment choice. In my experience, that is one of the primary reasons for unemployment. "Holding out for management" is simply unrealistic at a certain point in time.

Another issue for me, personally, has been having actual cash on hand. I have many friends in NYC. I have learned from 9/11 to always have a decent amount of cash that I can readily access in the event of an unplanned emergency (such as all electronics, etc., being shut down for several days), in addition to simple necessary survival in the unlikely event that I run through all my savings, my credit, and have no employment. Granted, I haven't covered the gold aspect...yet.

Bingo! The take-home message I got from old folks was be willing to work for anything and learn to live on what's in your pocket.

I don't seriously believe that we are facing the kind of privation my relatives endured, though.

Phillygirl
12-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Bingo! The take-home message I got from old folks was be willing to work for anything and learn to live on what's in your pocket.

I don't seriously believe that we are facing the kind of privation my relatives endured, though.

I don't either, but you never know.

I don't live on credit. The only debt I have right now is my mortgage. It's also the only tax advantage I have. I only have a debit card for personal use; credit card for business only. While I have taken out car loans in the past, it's been about 4 years since I've had one. It's not a big issue for me, as I'm not really much of a car person. I don't need a new one every 3 years.

There have been many people in my life that have taught me that there is honor in digging a ditch for a living. Too many people value fancy degrees over actual work. Too many people also become entirely to insular in their job skill set. I have occasionally taken a look at my skill set in case I ever lose the opportunity to be able to practice law. There is nothing wrong with asking if you want fries with that if that is the only work available.

Celtic Rose
12-11-2008, 09:25 PM
You Are 65% Likely to Survive Another Great Depression

http://www.blogthingsimages.com/couldyousurviveanothergreatdepressionquiz/depression-3.jpg

Could You Survive Another Great Depression? (http://www.blogthings.com/couldyousurviveanothergreatdepressionquiz/)

SaintLouieWoman
12-11-2008, 10:15 PM
You Are 72% Likely to Survive Another Great Depression http://blogthings.cachefly.net/couldyousurviveanothergreatdepressionquiz/depression-3.jpg Even though you may not be expecting the worst, you're the type of person who prepares for the worst.

M21
12-11-2008, 10:52 PM
I haven't covered the gold aspect...yet.
My experience with refugee mass exoduses has been that when people can only get out with little more than the clothes on their back they carry gold.

wiegenlied
12-12-2008, 12:15 AM
http://blogthings.cachefly.net/couldyousurviveanothergreatdepressionquiz/depression-4.jpg

85% chance Im living in the stone cave right now..

lacarnut
12-12-2008, 01:12 AM

Living in an area where hurricanes whip thru every several year, a stash of cash on hand and in the bank is a necessity. No electricity for a week or two is a bummer in the sweltering 95 plus degree heat. Food stores open back up several days later after the storm under generator power but you can only buy things with cash. Those that live on credit cards are in a world of hurt. After Katrina and Ike, hotel and motel operators here kicked people out of their rooms when their cash ran out.

OwlMBA
12-12-2008, 01:21 AM
0%

First internet outage and I am going out in a hail of bullets and whiskey.

ralph wiggum
12-12-2008, 03:29 PM
0%

First internet outage and I am going out in a hail of bullets and whiskey.

:D :D ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Phillygirl
12-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Living in an area where hurricanes whip thru every several year, a stash of cash on hand and in the bank is a necessity. No electricity for a week or two is a bummer in the sweltering 95 plus degree heat. Food stores open back up several days later after the storm under generator power but you can only buy things with cash. Those that live on credit cards are in a world of hurt. After Katrina and Ike, hotel and motel operators here kicked people out of their rooms when their cash ran out.

That's what I discovered after 9/11. I've never been a "cash" person (95% of all my purchases are by debit card). But it does seem that one needs some decent emergency cash on hand.

Sonnabend
12-12-2008, 07:13 PM
If all else fails, i can go to Japan and be a whaler :D

Goldwater
12-12-2008, 07:18 PM
64% here here here here.