PDA

View Full Version : It's Time...

SarasotaRepub
12-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Time for a new BMW wagon that is!!!:D

We got some bad news on our current 5 Series wagon today, the Lifters
ain't gonna be lifting much longer. They want $3400.00 bucs to fix it
and we don't think it's worth throwing anymore $$$ into this car.

We were looking at a recently retired loaner 3 Series wagon tonight
and they want $32,900 for it. They said they'd give us around 5K for
the old wagon...

The 3 Series wagon has 12,100 miles on it and though smaller, it has
more bells & whistles than the old 5. It has all wheel drive which is nice
and a universal garage door opener!!!!:D

It's a nice car that should have enough room for all 3 dogs but we're going
to have to test that I think.

They say it is going to go to auction by the end of the year if not sold.
Does anyone know what kind of a price reduction the dealer is looking
at if the car goes to auction? It's a 2007 and listed for $43,600.

They kept asking us for an "offer", what do ya think it should be? :confused:

Zeus
12-11-2008, 08:44 PM
33K for a station wagon ! Get a hummer or a SUV something you get a little more use out of for that kind of money.:)

SarasotaRepub
12-11-2008, 09:00 PM
33K for a station wagon ! Get a hummer or a SUV something you get a little more use out of for that kind of money.:)

LOL!!! Zeus I agree but SLW doesn't! :(:D

Zeus
12-11-2008, 09:08 PM
2009 Ford expedition EL, Flex fuel capable. MSRP $32,820.

When it comes time to buy a full-size vehicle for your family, it's important to know that Expedition and the extended-length Expedition EL have received the highest 5-star frontal crash test rating* for the driver and right front passenger from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) for nine years straight.
*Star ratings are part of the U.S. Department of Transportation's Safercar.gov program (www.safercar.gov (http://www.safercar.gov)).

The engine that powers the 2009 Ford Expedition is the same 5.4L Triton® V8 as before, but is now equipped with standard Flex Fuel capability. The 5.4L Flex Fuel can run on unleaded gasoline, E85 (85% ethanol and 15% gasoline) or any mix of the two. So you can fill up wherever you are, even if E85 isn't readily available.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/images/vehicle/pg/epd09_pg_028_ext_lg.jpg

SarasotaRepub
12-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Ooooooooooo...I like!!! She'll have to read that. :D

SaintLouieWoman
12-11-2008, 09:46 PM

I did, it's a nice SUV, but I don't particularly like SUV's. We already have one--SR's Blazer. I'm facing another knee surgery, and want something that I don't have to climb up into, but that can more easily enter.

Also, Blue, the epileptic greyhound, is doing much better, but don't think he can jump into an SUV, too high.

Does anyone have any idea of how much of a hit dealer's take when they send a car to auction?

The guy has already gone down to $25k, but still too high. I'm afraid to wait too long, as this is the car that I drive for biz, as I'm an outside sales rep and need to make calls, some into some not so nice areas where I really don't want to take a chance of a breakdown.

Zeus
12-11-2008, 09:58 PM

I have a 2007 Expedition EL . Paid just shy of 50K for it but it came with some special options I wanted and a few I didn't but what the hey. Sure it doesn't ride as smooth as my Lincoln but my lincoln can't handle the payload the Expedition can. Mines not a flex fuel but I still get about 18 - 19 mpg overall. Cruise control is your friend because it does like to get out and move on the highways. :p

Zeus
12-11-2008, 10:04 PM
I did, it's a nice SUV, but I don't particularly like SUV's. We already have one--SR's Blazer. I'm facing another knee surgery, and want something that I don't have to climb up into, but that can more easily enter.

Also, Blue, the epileptic greyhound, is doing much better, but don't think he can jump into an SUV, too high.

Does anyone have any idea of how much of a hit dealer's take when they send a car to auction?

The guy has already gone down to $25k, but still too high. I'm afraid to wait too long, as this is the car that I drive for biz, as I'm an outside sales rep and need to make calls, some into some not so nice areas where I really don't want to take a chance of a breakdown.

SLW,

Depends what type of auction it is. Fleet sales and the such they don't take a hit because they have already depreciated the vehicles down to the limit. They will sometimes save money by auction vs paying an inventory tax.

SaintLouieWoman
12-11-2008, 10:09 PM
SLW,

Depends what type of auction it is. Fleet sales and the such they don't take a hit because they have already depreciated the vehicles down to the limit. They will sometimes save money by auction vs paying an inventory tax.

They did seem very anxious to get it sold before the end of the year. We have personal property taxes in Missouri. If I get something after January 1, we'd have an additional year paying on the poor old '99 instead of the newer one.

I'm figuring they have that car depreciated fairly far already, as they've used it in their service loaner fleet at the dealership.

Schadenfreude
12-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Zeus..... 50k for a car? I buy 10 cars for that much.

Of course, I have lower standards and all that. :D

Good luck SLW and SR.... I have no advice, I never dicker on prices. I know I know a sucker is born every minute.

SaintLouieWoman
12-11-2008, 10:31 PM

Good luck SLW and SR.... I have no advice, I never dicker on prices. I know I know a sucker is born every minute.

You don't negotiate? :eek: Neither does SR, but I do.

My problem is I live in a world of SUV's. Everyone in our neighborhood has one, including SR, and I'm not a SUV fan. So it makes it tough trying to even find one of those old-fashioned station wagons. I read that they tell the sales reps to call them "crossovers" or anything but the dread term "station wagon". :D

I hate negotiating when they have us over the barrel with the old car limping along on its last wheels (or I guess should say lifters). Poor car, it's served me well. I really loved that car, but can't afford another 5 series. Guess the hounds will have to learn to snuggle in the back of that smaller car, if we negotiate properly.

Zeus
12-11-2008, 10:33 PM

Crazy ain't it. But I wanted special paint & a Little bit beefier suspension and bigger wheels.Those things I was willing to pay the premium for. where we went round & round was the glass. I guess calling it Limousine glass sounds better than bend over we will drive you home glass :rolleyes:

RobJohnson
12-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Time for a new BMW wagon that is!!!:D

We got some bad news on our current 5 Series wagon today, the Lifters
ain't gonna be lifting much longer. They want $3400.00 bucs to fix it
and we don't think it's worth throwing anymore $$$ into this car.

We were looking at a recently retired loaner 3 Series wagon tonight
and they want $32,900 for it. They said they'd give us around 5K for
the old wagon...

The 3 Series wagon has 12,100 miles on it and though smaller, it has
more bells & whistles than the old 5. It has all wheel drive which is nice
and a universal garage door opener!!!!:D

It's a nice car that should have enough room for all 3 dogs but we're going
to have to test that I think.

They say it is going to go to auction by the end of the year if not sold.
Does anyone know what kind of a price reduction the dealer is looking
at if the car goes to auction? It's a 2007 and listed for $43,600.

They kept asking us for an "offer", what do ya think it should be? :confused:

I would offer 23,500 plus your car.

See if they bite. They just might. If not, they will come back with a counter offer.

M21
12-11-2008, 11:27 PM
I hate negotiating when they have us over the barrel with the old car limping along on its last wheels (or I guess should say lifters). Poor car, it's served me well. I really loved that car, but can't afford another 5 series. Guess the hounds will have to learn to snuggle in the back of that smaller car, if we negotiate properly.

Folks, You might consider something like this. LINK TO 5 SERIES (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-5-Series-99-BMW-528i-WAGON-38k-ORIG-MILES-WHT-TAN-FLAWLESS_W0QQitemZ280293943422QQihZ018QQcategoryZ6 008QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) Looks like a solid ride with 38K on it.

Cost you a plane ticket to drive it home. I bought from an auction in Phoenix and it cost me a one way plane ticket and I was back home in the morning to go to work. 180K on it later and I'm still driving it. Just a thought.

SaintLouieWoman
12-11-2008, 11:39 PM
Folks, You might consider something like this. LINK TO 5 SERIES (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-5-Series-99-BMW-528i-WAGON-38k-ORIG-MILES-WHT-TAN-FLAWLESS_W0QQitemZ280293943422QQihZ018QQcategoryZ6 008QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) Looks like a solid ride with 38K on it.

Cost you a plane ticket to drive it home. I bought from an auction in Phoenix and it cost me a one way plane ticket and I was back home in the morning to go to work. 180K on it later and I'm still driving it. Just a thought.

Interesting. Wonder what the reserve is. It's the same year as the one that I have now. 4k a year? It must have been the little old lady who just drove it to church.

Thanks for checking. It looks good, from the Carfax report.

M21
12-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Interesting. Wonder what the reserve is. It's the same year as the one that I have now. 4k a year? It must have been the little old lady who just drove it to church.

Thanks for checking. It looks good, from the Carfax report.You could call him and ask him what the reserve is and he may tell you. He's done over 1300 deals and has a 100% feedback. That's impressive. It's very clean that's for sure.

lacarnut
12-12-2008, 12:09 AM

Thanks for checking. It looks good, from the Carfax report.

The Kelly Blue Book trade in for this car is 24k for fair, 26k for good and 28k for excellent. If they are going to auction it, I doubt if they would get more than 22k or 23k for it. One reason they may take it to auction is because of the economy and the difficulty with financing. Financing a $20k used car will take someone with a very good credit score. People in the used car business like Carmax are hurting badly. So it is a buyers market. I would offer them $20k and your car. A wagon would seem to suit your needs better though.

Since you have owned a station wagon for so many years, I don't think you will be satisfied with a sedan. It is much smaller. You will get in places where you can not fully open the doors all the way to let the dogs out. This is not a problem with a station wagon.

Ebay has a white BMW 2007 certified station wagon with 16k miles for $26k at Vista BMW in Pompano Beach FL. You can contact your dealer and get them to make all the arrangements and ship it from FL to your dealer. I have done this on several occasion. Had a dealer fly up to NJ and drive my 300Z back to Louisiana. The way the car business is going, these guys are scrambling for business. I would offer your dealer $22k and your car. I also think that BMW has low interest rates on their new and used cars.

Schadenfreude
12-12-2008, 09:26 PM
You don't negotiate? :eek: Neither does SR, but I do.

My problem is I live in a world of SUV's. Everyone in our neighborhood has one, including SR, and I'm not a SUV fan. So it makes it tough trying to even find one of those old-fashioned station wagons. I read that they tell the sales reps to call them "crossovers" or anything but the dread term "station wagon". :D

What? Station wagons are passe? Say it ain't so, Igrew up with wood paneled station wagons.

I agree I am not an SUV fan either, I drive people movers, not minivans, but big old ghetto cruisers. ;)

SarasotaRepub
12-12-2008, 10:22 PM
What? Station wagons are passe? Say it ain't so, Igrew up with wood paneled station wagons.

I agree I am not an SUV fan either, I drive people movers, not minivans, but big old ghetto cruisers. ;)

Schade, come on!!! I'm still trying to talk her into a H3. ;)

SaintLouieWoman
12-12-2008, 11:03 PM
Schade, come on!!! I'm still trying to talk her into a H3. ;)
He'd get the salesman of the century award if he talked me into a H3. I like driving machines. If it weren't for the need for a wagon to haul the hounds, I'd love to get an older M3.

My dad always had a basic Ford or Chevy with none of the amenities, no power steering, no auto transmission, no AC, no nothing. I always said it was silly to spend much on a car. That is, til I purchased a BMW M3 many years ago. I'm always very conservative and thrifty, but this is my downfall. :o

BadCat
12-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Hyundai Santa Fe or Tucson. Great for dogs. Can't beat the 5 year bumper to bumper warranty that includes roadside protection, 10 year warranty on the powertrain.

You can get them fully tricked out for well under $30k.

M21
12-13-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm always very conservative and thrifty, but this is my downfall. :oMost consider it a virtue. :)

We were floating the Grand Canyon and on a flat water section as a bunch of us were looking up at the canyon walls my wife says to the group "You know how this all came to be?" "My husband dropped a nickel down a prairie dog hole" :mad: :D

SarasotaRepub
12-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Well...we got it today (http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2009/3/328ixdrivesportswagon/default.aspx)! :D

We had a choice between a 2008 in black and a 2007 in Graphite Metallic. We closed the deal on the 2007 just before they closed for the day.

Should be able to pick up the new wagon Monday night. The dawgs are very
excited. ;)

WOOT!!!

lacarnut
12-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Well...we got it today (http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2009/3/328ixdrivesportswagon/default.aspx)! :D

We had a choice between a 2008 in black and a 2007 in Graphite Metallic. We closed the deal on the 2007 just before they closed for the day.

Should be able to pick up the new wagon Monday night. The dawgs are very
excited. ;)

WOOT!!!

Good deal Lucille. I assume that's SLW's Christmas present.

I came close to buying a new Corvette today; it's my Birthday. Don't need a new car cause mine only has 42k miles on it and drives like new. Guess I am getting frugal in my old age.

SarasotaRepub
12-20-2008, 07:08 PM

I came close to buying a new Corvette today; it's my Birthday. Don't need a new car cause mine only has 42k miles on it and drives like new. Guess I am getting frugal in my old age.

LOL!!!:D We got it for a little under 25K.

SaintLouieWoman
12-20-2008, 07:20 PM

The salesman at the dealership where I had the old one serviced knows me too well (probably by reputation). :D He said that he knows that I want a good bargain. He played the game and was shocked, I tell you shocked, when we made the initial offer. First he said we were too far apart to even make a counter. We didn't say anything. Then he said to just write down what we would pay. They took it. I knew they would.

But I'll keep thinking that I could have held firm for another $500 less. He claims they lost on the deal. :rolleyes:

Happy birthday.

Glad you drove the Corvette today. At 42k miles, think you made a good decision. Ours had 123,000 miles on it, plus pistons ready to go with a $3,400 repair estimate.

The sales rep claims that it's best to trade before 100k, as they have a difficult time getting much from the wholesaler for something over the 100k mark. Of course the service department says to keep it to 200k. I was their perpetual customer in service. The poor car was excellent til the last few months.

lacarnut
12-20-2008, 07:55 PM
The salesman at the dealership where I had the old one serviced knows me too well (probably by reputation). :D He said that he knows that I want a good bargain. He played the game and was shocked, I tell you shocked, when we made the initial offer. First he said we were too far apart to even make a counter. We didn't say anything. Then he said to just write down what we would pay. They took it. I knew they would.

But I'll keep thinking that I could have held firm for another $500 less. He claims they lost on the deal. :rolleyes:

Happy birthday.

Glad you drove the Corvette today. At 42k miles, think you made a good decision. Ours had 123,000 miles on it, plus pistons ready to go with a $3,400 repair estimate.

The sales rep claims that it's best to trade before 100k, as they have a difficult time getting much from the wholesaler for something over the 100k mark. Of course the service department says to keep it to 200k. I was their perpetual customer in service. The poor car was excellent til the last few months.

Good luck with your new car. When the salesman told me that he lost money on the deal, I might have asked him if he was up for an Academy award in the Bullshit department. I have know several dealership owners when I was in the golf business and they were all millionaires. So, I guarantee you they made money either on the front or back end of the deal.

The Corvette that I looked at on line is a 2009 with a MSRP of 49k that is discounted 9k. I could trade my car in, pay 1/2 cash for the remainder and have notes around $300 per month. Still thinking about it.

cat714
12-21-2008, 12:33 AM
In this economy, it's a great time to buy a car if you have the cash or the FICO. Congrats on the new wide. :D

RobJohnson
12-21-2008, 12:36 PM
LOL!!!:D We got it for a little under 25K.

That's great!

RobJohnson
12-21-2008, 12:43 PM

Don't beat yourself up too badly thinking that you left money on the table, I doubt the salesman made much more then $100 commission.

I would think that the sales department did lose on the deal. But if it was a service loaner, service made money with the car...at GM dealerships, I was actually able to bill rental fees to the warranty claim...

The 100,000 mile story has some truth to it...of course, service likes it when you keep it past that...as they start to make money!!!

I am pleased to know that you won't have to be out there driving around in a car that could fail and leave you stranded again. I now have one less thing to worry about!!!

SaintLouieWoman
12-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Don't beat yourself up too badly thinking that you left money on the table, I doubt the salesman made much more then $100 commission.

I would think that the sales department did lose on the deal. But if it was a service loaner, service made money with the car...at GM dealerships, I was actually able to bill rental fees to the warranty claim...

The 100,000 mile story has some truth to it...of course, service likes it when you keep it past that...as they start to make money!!!

I am pleased to know that you won't have to be out there driving around in a car that could fail and leave you stranded again. I now have one less thing to worry about!!!

Thanks, you are very kind. I'm greatly relieved that we finally made the decision and just did it.

They didn't charge for the service loaners at Plaza, but they make it a practice to always give a free loaner. If all the Bimmer loaners are gone, they get additional rental cars from Enterprise. It's probably cheaper to give out their own loaners.

Besides, I know the supposed "cost" is probably known only to the dealers. In my line of work, I know there are so many discounts that the sales reps never know about. The "cost" figure that's given out is not the real cost.

RobJohnson
12-21-2008, 03:55 PM
They didn't charge for the service loaners at Plaza, but they make it a practice to always give a free loaner. If all the Bimmer loaners are gone, they get additional rental cars from Enterprise. It's probably cheaper to give out their own loaners.

Besides, I know the supposed "cost" is probably known only to the dealers. In my line of work, I know there are so many discounts that the sales reps never know about. The "cost" figure that's given out is not the real cost.

Alot of times, for warranty repairs, dealerships get reimbursed for "courtesy transportation" from the factory....

Very true about the "costs"....and the salesperson gets jipped in the end!

SarasotaRepub
12-22-2008, 06:53 PM
WOOT! We will be leaving soon to pick up the BMW.
And it better be ready. :mad::D

RobJohnson
12-23-2008, 03:26 AM
Thanks, you are very kind.

Thank you. :)