PDA

View Full Version : Into-the-Fray Friday

linda22003
12-12-2008, 08:01 AM
It's cloudy in Washington after a night of rain, and it will be rather glum today.
Tomorrow will be sunny and seasonably cold, and I have my annual "shopping date" with my teenage god-daughters.

TOTD: What are some of your coping mechanisms for mall shopping, when you have to actually physically cope with the shopping experience, and not just tap a few keys on the computer? I'd be happy to hear any successful war stories you have. Mine generally involve a quiet corner of the mall parking lot no one else seems to use much, and a stiff drink in the bar of the Ritz Carlton after it's all over.

Living in La
12-12-2008, 08:11 AM
The snow is all melted, its cold outside but will be in the 60s the afternoon.

TOTD: The only time I go to the mall is during the work week when everyone else is at work. If by some chance I end up there on the weekend, I always park at the end of the parking lot. Less irritatioin jockeying for a closer parking place, plus the walk to the mall gives me time to prepare myself mentally. And I try to get there earlier in the day before the crowds get too big.

SaintLouieWoman
12-12-2008, 08:41 AM
It's very gloomy here today. The bad weather is yet to come with freezing rain and sleet predicted for late Sunday through Tuesday. :eek: Although I'm not fond of snow, freezing rain is hated and horrible.

TOTD: I go to malls as infrequently as possible. When I do, I generally go to one or two stores for something that I specifically want, then leave. I have a favorite little corner space at the West County Mall near me (has a Macy's and Nordstrom's).

Formerly I preferred seeing something before I buy, now getting lazy and doing more of my purchases via the internet. I have many of my Christmas gifts boxed in the basement, which I have bought in advance when I saw something that I liked. Now I just have to force myself down there and start sorting through the stuff and see what else needs to be purchased.

linda22003
12-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Now I just have to force myself down there and start sorting through the stuff and see what else needs to be purchased.

With all those cans of Spam, you should be all set.

SaintLouieWoman
12-12-2008, 09:06 AM
With all those cans of Spam, you should be all set.

:D I tried putting the Spam cans in the basement. SR insists on keeping them in the kitchen pantry. Oh, well, it's such a minor thing. I'm sure this weekend will be Spam and egg breakfasts for him. I'll eat my Kashi crunch cereal with fruit. To each his own.

He puts up with my Whole Foods selections, offset by ShopNSave for the basic stuff. In fact we're getting a Whole Foods gift card for his parents in Florida. Can't believe they have valet parking at the Whole Foods in Sarasota. Our two Whole Foods here have just regular old parking lots.

biccat
12-12-2008, 09:38 AM
:D I tried putting the Spam cans in the basement. SR insists on keeping them in the kitchen pantry.
I take it the china cabinet was full?

Nice clear day, it's finally starting to warm up here. Unfortunately that just means we can expect ice on the streets on Monday when another cold front moves in and blankets the city in snow.

TOTD: I don't really have to "cope" at the mall. That must be a woman thing. Get in, buy some stuff, get out.

Celtic Rose
12-12-2008, 10:03 AM
I am so happy that it is Friday :D

TOTD: I have to go shopping at the mall this weekend too :( I generally try to have a really good idea of what I'm looking for before I go so that I don't have to wander aimlessly. Also, I try to go early in the day because it is generally less full first thing in the morning. I also take a parking spot at the end of the lot so that I can minimize the traffic I have to deal with.

Gingersnap
12-12-2008, 11:30 AM
It's seasonal here but we're getting ready for a dump of snow Saturday night through Monday morning.

TOTD: I have a lot of trouble with noisy crowds. I didn't go to any malls this year but when I've done it the past, I've made detailed lists of who/what/where. I perform surgical strikes and quickly fall back to the parking lot. I totally avoid random, impulse-oriented shopping.

However, you're doing one of those female-bonding things so you won't be able to do this. Maybe build in some timelines so you aren't trapped all day long.

megimoo
12-12-2008, 12:01 PM
It's seasonal here but we're getting ready for a dump of snow Saturday night through Monday morning.

TOTD: I have a lot of trouble with noisy crowds. I didn't go to any malls this year but when I've done it the past, I've made detailed lists of who/what/where. I perform surgical strikes and quickly fall back to the parking lot. I totally avoid random, impulse-oriented shopping.

However, you're doing one of those female-bonding things so you won't be able to do this. Maybe build in some timelines so you aren't trapped all day long.Or just hire a professional shopper and give her your list and exact instructions.Have her contact your cell phone with pictures of any items in question and give her carte Blanche on purchasing kids toys or clothing but have her photo you before she commits..You sit in a nice quit place,enjoy some lunch and watch the crazy mall traffic .

RobJohnson
12-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Today will be a nice day outside, a quick shift at work, followed by a 3 day weekend.

Next week, highs are only going to be in the 40s...Las Vegas is getting ready for snow. It gives the weather forcasters something to talk about on the news.

TOTD: I enjoy both shopping and malls....I get to see so much neat stuff...the people watching is fun also. Of course, my love for shopping quickly evaporates if the place is packed.