PDA

View Full Version : Christmas menus...

Phillygirl
12-12-2008, 08:44 PM
please!!

It looks like I may cave in and acquiesce to my family's request that I host Christmas dinner. I have absolutely no idea what I will serve.

It looks like there will probably be about 14 people total...including one kid who is allergic to shellfish (there goes my easy idea of lobster tail, baked potato, and corn!)

megimoo
12-12-2008, 09:10 PM
please!!

It looks like I may cave in and acquiesce to my family's request that I host Christmas dinner. I have absolutely no idea what I will serve.

It looks like there will probably be about 14 people total...including one kid who is allergic to shellfish (there goes my easy idea of lobster tail, baked potato, and corn!)
Order one of those all inclusive turkey dinners and all of the fixings, pre cooked and delivered from an upscale super market in your area.Add a spiral sliced pre cooked ham, sweet potatoes ,a bucket of mashed white spuds,sweet spicy squash with several quarts of home made/store made gravy and three different pie's .A gallon of cider and several quarts of pre mixed cocktails and about four each bottles of good wine, red and white !Order lots of rolls from the bakery and have the desert course with cheese and sweet wine selected and delivered .
30 Assorted Petite French Pastries -
Lemon Meringue Pie,Chocolate Éclair,Fruit Tartlets
Chocolate Mud Cake,Strawberry Cheesecake Tortes

Cookies and Cream Cheesecake,Pecan Pie, Chocolate Mud Cake
Baileys Cheesecake,Granny Smith Apple Pie
And lots of hot coffee .

Phillygirl
12-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Order one of those all inclusive turkey dinners and all of the fixings, pre cooked and delivered from an upscale super market in your area.Add a spiral sliced pre cooked ham, sweet potatoes ,a bucket of mashed white spuds,sweet spicy squash with several quarts of home made/store made gravy and three different pie's .A gallon of cider and several quarts of pre mixed cocktails and about four each bottles of good wine, red and white !Order lots of rolls from the bakery and have the desert course with cheese and sweet wine selected and delivered .
30 Assorted Petite French Pastries -
Lemon Meringue Pie,Chocolate Éclair,Fruit Tartlets
Chocolate Mud Cake,Strawberry Cheesecake Tortes

Cookies and Cream Cheesecake,Pecan Pie, Chocolate Mud Cake
Baileys Cheesecake,Granny Smith Apple Pie
And lots of hot coffee .

Hmmm....I was thinking pizza and hot wings.

Gingersnap
12-12-2008, 09:22 PM
You just had turkey so skip that. Go ultra-traditional: a medium rare roast beef or a goose (they aren't that hard to cook).

Serve mashed potatoes, gravy, glazed carrots and pearl onions, and some excellent parker house rolls.

Give them stuffed mushrooms, olives, and nice cheeses with crackers for starters. Get a decent wine.

Shovel some yule cake into them and send them home. :)

megimoo
12-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Hmmm....I was thinking pizza and hot wings.On the feast of The Birth of the Savior?Pizza's for peon's and teen age kids !

linda22003
12-13-2008, 07:32 AM
We're going to have big filets mignon with a blue cheese sauce. This might be more feasible for three people than for fourteen.

Phillygirl
12-13-2008, 09:32 AM
You just had turkey so skip that. Go ultra-traditional: a medium rare roast beef or a goose (they aren't that hard to cook).

Serve mashed potatoes, gravy, glazed carrots and pearl onions, and some excellent parker house rolls.

Give them stuffed mushrooms, olives, and nice cheeses with crackers for starters. Get a decent wine.

Shovel some yule cake into them and send them home. :)

The roast beef might be doable. Now my sister says she's going to have it. Jeez I'd wish they'd make up their minds!

megimoo
12-13-2008, 09:33 AM
We're going to have big filets mignon with a blue cheese sauce. This might be more feasible for three people than for fourteen.Sauce Bernaise is more traditional with Fillet .Use the blue cheese dressing on your salad !.
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are."Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin .
Steak Bernaise Chateau Brillat Savarin .

sauce:
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup good white wine
1 large shallot minced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves, divided
Sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 extra-large egg yolks*
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
3 4-inch tenderloin about a whole large beef tenderloin .
Olive Oil
Coarsely ground black pepper
Directions
For the sauce, put the Champagne vinegar, white wine, shallots, 1 tablespoon tarragon leaves, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the mixture is reduced to a few tablespoons. Cool slightly.

Place the cooled mixture with the egg yolks and 1 teaspoon salt in the jar of a blender and blend for 30 seconds. With blender on, slowly pour the hot butter through the opening in the lid. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of tarragon leaves and blend only for a second. If the sauce is too thick, add a tablespoon of white wine to thin. Keep at room temperature until serving.

Note: To make the sauce in advance, prepare an hour before serving and allow it to sit in the blender. Before serving, add 1 tablespoon of the hottest tap water and blend for a few seconds.

BadCat
12-13-2008, 01:16 PM
We're doing a Prime Rib AND a Goose, both done on the water smoker. The goose will go under the prime rib, so the prime rib juice drips on it.

megimoo
12-13-2008, 05:38 PM
We're doing a Prime Rib AND a Goose, both done on the water smoker. The goose will go under the prime rib, so the prime rib juice drips on it.
Smoked Turkey using Water-Smoker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mNLlXRQ20I

ralph wiggum
12-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Lasagna, the perfect meal for Christmas.

Jumpy
12-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Turkey and fixins with the neighbors. (no turkey for me, but I will still have a feast) We still have Turkeys in the freezer and they need to be cooked. My daughter is insisting on bananas foster for desert. hehe... I will let her make them.. again.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c42/cryforthenightbird/P9070043.jpg

lurkalot
12-13-2008, 10:30 PM

Is that what ghey people eat for Christmas dinner? :confused:

It's officially heading into the holiday season, the high tech rednecks are emailing, the other's are calling...
I am the holder of the sacred family recipe box going back several generations. One would think that after a while they would catch on and write these recipes down and start their own collection? nooooo I have to go dig through and find the obscure recipe prepared for Christmas dinner dessert back in 1962 by Aunt Hazel who cut it out of the back of a Lutheran Ladies magazine...:cool:

wiegenlied
12-14-2008, 03:33 AM
Hm...Christmas Pudding!

11 ounce can of mandarins
2 ounces sultanas (golden raisins)
2 ounces seedless raisins
2 tablespoons sherry wine
3 ounces glace fruits
4 ounces butter
4 ounces confectioners sugar
2 ounces ground almonds
1 (8 ounce) package trifle sponge cakes (or ladyfingers)
1 (5 ounce)` carton double cream (heavy cream)
2 tablespoons milk

Method
1. Lightly butter a 1 pint pudding basin.
2. Drain mandarin oranges, reserving syrup.
3. Put sultanas and raisins in a small bowl. Stir in sherry.( If you prefer to make without alcohol, you can substitute 2 tablespoons reserved mandarin syrup. )
4. Chop glace fruits if they are not already chopped. Chop mandarin oranges. Set aside.
5. Cream together butter and confectioners sugar until light and fluffy. Fold in ground almonds and glace fruits. Crumble sponge cake into mixture. Fold in oranges, sultanas, raisins and syrup.
6. Place mixture in pudding basin and press down firmly. Level top with back of spoon. Cover with foil and chill in refrigerator overnight or for 4 days.
7. Just before serving, whisk cream and milk together until thick.
8. Remove foil from pudding. Run a knife around top of pudding to loosen it from basin. Place basin in hot water for about 30 seconds. Invert onto a plate. Spread cream over pudding and swirl with palette knife.
9. Place a sprig of artificial holly on top of pudding .

Serves: 8 - 10

wiegenlied
12-14-2008, 06:00 AM
To accompany roasted goose/turkey/beef, maybe baked red onions will be nice...It's simple!

Baked Red Onions

1/2 cup warm water
1 small bay leaf
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 large unpeeled red onions, cut in half

Method

1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Mix together water, bay leaf and balsamic vinegar. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in ovenproof skillet until almost smoking. Put in onion halves, cut side down. Brown on cut side, about 8 minutes.
4. Remove from heat. Pour liquid over onions, cover and cook in a preheated 375° F oven for 15 minutes.
5. Remove from pan and place cut side up in serving dish.
6. Pour liquid remaining in skillet over the onions.

Serves 6 - 8

linda22003
12-14-2008, 07:41 AM

It is indeed. I have done a seafood lasagne for Christmas dinner, loaded with crab, shrimp, and lobster. With spinach in the cheese layer, it's a festive red, green, and white.

Hawkgirl
12-15-2008, 12:11 AM
Christmas is my holiday. This year, I am keeping it simple..

Antipasto with assorted cheeses, sopressata, olives, fresh mozarella with roasted red peppers and garlic bread

Fettucini Alfredo served with Roasted Shrimp

Wedge Salad with iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, bacon served with Blue Cheese dressing

Dessert will probably be apple turnovers in puff pastry, baked right before serving and I'll add a scoop of vanilla icecream.

wiegenlied
12-15-2008, 06:01 AM

Antipasto with assorted cheeses, sopressata, olives, fresh mozarella with roasted red peppers and garlic bread

Wedge Salad with iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, bacon served with Blue Cheese dressing

Dessert will probably be apple turnovers in puff pastry, baked right before serving and I'll add a scoop of vanilla icecream.

wow...dev'essere squisito :p

Ree
12-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Ham and somethins...

Hawkgirl
12-15-2008, 04:42 PM
wow...dev'essere squisito :p

spero cosi' :D

Phillygirl
12-15-2008, 04:51 PM

That sounds delicious.

It looks like we're going with lobster tails and either prime rib (if it's at my sister's house) or file mignon (if it's at my house).

PoliCon
12-15-2008, 04:55 PM
please!!

It looks like there will probably be about 14 people total...including one kid who is allergic to shellfish (there goes my easy idea of lobster tail, baked potato, and corn!) When I had to do the hosting - I always did roast beef. :) if I was going to host this year - I'd do the salt crusted beef that was posted.

Hawkgirl
12-15-2008, 05:11 PM
That sounds delicious.

It looks like we're going with lobster tails and either prime rib (if it's at my sister's house) or file mignon (if it's at my house).

How do you prepare your lobster tails? I was thinking about doing them..but I'm afraid I'll screw them up and it's an expensive mistake...:o

Phillygirl
12-15-2008, 05:45 PM
How do you prepare your lobster tails? I was thinking about doing them..but I'm afraid I'll screw them up and it's an expensive mistake...:o

Frequently I bake them, but I just saw a recipe where you put them in a pan, on about medium low heat, with enough butter to cover them. Let them "braise" in the butter until their done (about 5 - 7 minutes, depending on the size of them).

My seafood shop is really good about giving me specific directions, as I agree about an expensive screw up.

One night I made them, and on about the second bite I realized mine was under cooked (almost sushi like). As I got up to throw it back in my guest gave me his and said it was also undercooked. He had taken many more bites and wasn't going to say a word (and he hates sushi!!). He got extra brownie points for that!

Hawkgirl
12-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Frequently I bake them, but I just saw a recipe where you put them in a pan, on about medium low heat, with enough butter to cover them. Let them "braise" in the butter until their done (about 5 - 7 minutes, depending on the size of them).

I found this and it seems easy enough....

http://www.lobsterhelp.com/butterfly-lobster-tails.htm

Hawkgirl
12-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Maybe I'll scratch my antipasto and serve this after my Fettucini Alfredo?

http://i36.tinypic.com/sqgg9c.jpg

Phillygirl
12-15-2008, 07:51 PM

http://i36.tinypic.com/sqgg9c.jpg

That looks delicious. But I think with the fettucine, it will be too much food. You could just do the lobster tails with the fettucine. Otherwise, you've got two major starches and 3 proteins. That's a huge meal!!

I decided on the surf and turf because 1) it's relatively easy; and 2) the tails were on sale for about $13.00 a piece (7 ounce tails). They normally go for about $40/pound at this place. But only the adults are getting the lobsters. It would be wasted on the kids!

Goldwater
12-15-2008, 08:06 PM

I love you.

Hawkgirl
12-15-2008, 08:12 PM
I love you.

lol :cool:

Hawkgirl
12-15-2008, 08:14 PM
That looks delicious. But I think with the fettucine, it will be too much food. You could just do the lobster tails with the fettucine. Otherwise, you've got two major starches and 3 proteins. That's a huge meal!!

True...I'll probably change my mind 5 times before I decide on the menu....I get stupid anxiety over a menu when I am entertaining. :o

Phillygirl
12-15-2008, 08:18 PM
True...I'll probably change my mind 5 times before I decide on the menu....I get stupid anxiety over a menu when I am entertaining. :o

Same here...hence the thread!! But the lobster is bought, so it's pretty set now. The only issue is prime rib versus filet. I don't like prime rib.

Hawkgirl
12-15-2008, 08:30 PM
I think I will stick with my original idea......this dish always seems to be a crowd pleaser...:D

http://i37.tinypic.com/2v9d63d.jpg

Phillygirl
12-15-2008, 08:31 PM
I think I will stick with my original idea......this dish always seems to be a crowd pleaser...:D

http://i37.tinypic.com/2v9d63d.jpg

That does look delicious. And I really like the antipasto idea as well.

Hawkgirl
12-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Same here...hence the thread!! But the lobster is bought, so it's pretty set now. The only issue is prime rib versus filet. I don't like prime rib.

My favorite cut of beef is ribeye steak....but tenderloin is more elegant for a holiday meal.

PoliCon
12-15-2008, 10:04 PM
Same here...hence the thread!! But the lobster is bought, so it's pretty set now. The only issue is prime rib versus filet. I don't like prime rib.you could do a crown rib roast. They look so wonderful on the table. :)http://www.keeneshops.com/HolidayRecipes/images/crownRoast.jpg