PDA

View Full Version : 9th Circuit appoints special prosecutor against Sheriff Arpaio

Elspeth
04-19-2018, 05:18 PM
The 9th Circus is trying to undo Trump's pardon.

9th Circuit appoints special prosecutor against Sheriff Joe Arpaio
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/apr/18/9th-circuit-appoints-special-prosecutor-against-sh/

A federal appeals court said this week it will appoint a lawyer to argue that former Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s contempt of court conviction should remain on his record, despite President Trump’s pardon.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said that since the federal Justice Department is supporting both the pardon and Mr. Arpaio’s request to have his conviction stricken, someone else needs to argue the other side.

Mr. Arpaio argues that the pardon came before he had a chance to appeal his conviction, and even before the federal district judge in the case had a chance to rule on his request that it be set aside. Opponents of the former sheriff of Maricopa County, Arizona, had said not only should the conviction stand, but the pardon should be deemed invalid because it subverted the justice system.

The district judge split the argument, ruling the pardon was valid but leaving the conviction on Mr. Arpaio’s record.

Mr. Arpaio has appealed, and the Justice Department has sided with him.

The 9th Circuit, in a 2-1 decision, acknowledged there’s no precedent for what it’s doing. “However, we see no reason why such appointment should not take place,” the court said in an order Tuesday.

It has yet to name the special prosecutor....

Angry Old White Man
04-19-2018, 05:33 PM
Who pays for this so called special prosecutor, just another leftist ass wipe. Does anyone besides me get the sense all this is leading to the next civil war in America,. clearly it is only a handful of people who have politicized their positions and are targeting conservatives so I would think they will be the number one target when it gets cranked up. I wonder if they realize that ?

Rockntractor
04-19-2018, 05:37 PM
The French revolution looks less barbaric and easier to understand all the time.

Elspeth
04-19-2018, 05:40 PM
Who pays for this so called special prosecutor, just another leftist ass wipe. Does anyone besides me get the sense all this is leading to the next civil war in America,. clearly it is only a handful of people who have politicized their positions and are targeting conservatives so I would think they will be the number one target when it gets cranked up. I wonder if they realize that ?

It gets worse:

New York Attorney General Wants Power To Bypass Trump Pardons
https://www.weaselzippers.us/382105-new-york-attorney-general-wants-power-to-bypass-trump-pardons/

NEW YORK (Reuters) – New York’s attorney general on Wednesday asked Governor Andrew Cuomo and state legislators to give him and other local prosecutors power to bring criminal charges against people pardoned by U.S. President Donald Trump.

In a letter, Attorney General Eric Schneiderman urged Cuomo and legislative leaders to close a loophole in New York’s double jeopardy law shielding recipients of presidential pardons from state prosecution.

A change could make it more difficult for Trump associates or others who might be pardoned to escape criminal prosecution, even if special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe into possible Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election were curbed or shut down.

The president has no constitutional power to pardon state crimes, but Schneiderman said the current law means defendants pardoned for serious federal crimes could be freed from “all accountability” under state criminal law...

SVPete
04-19-2018, 05:42 PM
Reading that first sentence carefully,

A federal appeals court said this week it will appoint a lawyer to argue that former Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s contempt of court conviction should remain on his record, despite President Trump’s pardon.

The issue is not whether Sheriff Arpaio's pardon is valid. The issue is whether or not the conviction remains on his record.. IOW, this is not an attempt "to undo Trump's pardon" but a question of whether that pardon includes clearing the conviction from Arpaio's record.

Ole Cowboy
04-19-2018, 09:34 PM
I don't believe that a Presidential pardon can be undone!!

Rockntractor
04-19-2018, 09:46 PM
I don't believe that a Presidential pardon can be undone!!It can't but they can cause years of trouble, we have a currupt supreme Court to make matters worse. Conservatives have only one man in government and they mock him as not being a true conservative.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

noonwitch
04-20-2018, 09:14 AM
I don't believe that a Presidential pardon can be undone!!

A new case with new charges can be brought.

Ole Cowboy
04-20-2018, 10:00 AM
A new case with new charges can be brought.
Got to be VERY Cautious on that, you run into the double jeopardy issue.

BUT WORSE, if they can do that, then the govt knows they can and get away with it. Suddenly is Jane Noonwitch for the second time or 3rd time etc. The Double J issue was put in because our forehathers lived under and law of wash rinse, repeat until its clean in the eyes of the govt...you are going to jail boy, either in THIS trial or the next one or the next one...

noonwitch
04-20-2018, 01:38 PM
Got to be VERY Cautious on that, you run into the double jeopardy issue.

BUT WORSE, if they can do that, then the govt knows they can and get away with it. Suddenly is Jane Noonwitch for the second time or 3rd time etc. The Double J issue was put in because our forehathers lived under and law of wash rinse, repeat until its clean in the eyes of the govt...you are going to jail boy, either in THIS trial or the next one or the next one...

I am no fan of Arpaio, I think he did violate a lot of people's rights during his time as Sheriff of Maricopa County. He also probably saved some lives in the course of his career in law enforcement. The President pardoned him and since he no longer is in office and is elderly, the 9th circuit should just let it go.

I was just figuring they would search until they found a case that isn't covered by the pardon and prosecute it. I don't think the courts should have the ability to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate a case, that is an Executive branch responsibility at the federal level. It's different if there are charges in front of a court and the prosecutor (federal or local) has a conflict of interest-then the judge might appoint a special prosecutor to handle the trial. But that is not the same as appointing one to handle an investigation with no pending or current charges.

Elspeth
04-20-2018, 04:59 PM
I was just figuring they would search until they found a case that isn't covered by the pardon and prosecute it.

Yup.

Rockntractor
04-20-2018, 05:07 PM
They are wasting time and money, Trump will pardon whatever they throw at him. This is an appeals court why are they looking for a new case?
One more thing if I'm not mistaken there are at least two openings in this court Trump will be filling.

Rockntractor
04-20-2018, 05:24 PM
Reading that first sentence carefully,

The issue is not whether Sheriff Arpaio's pardon is valid. The issue is whether or not the conviction remains on his record.. IOW, this is not an attempt "to undo Trump's pardon" but a question of whether that pardon includes clearing the conviction from Arpaio's record.
You are correct this has nothing to do with retrying the case in any form. They want to leave it on his record. It has always been customary on a presidential full pardon that you are left with a clean record.
I say waterboard these judges.

Old n Grumpy
04-20-2018, 06:22 PM
All these petty a holes need to be taken to task for their vindictive BS