PDA

View Full Version : Cinematic Sunday

biccat
12-14-2008, 08:53 AM
It's been pretty warm here for the last couple of days, mid 40's, warm enough to go without a coat even. Unfortunately, we're expecting a sharp drop in temperatures tonight, and potentially some rain.

Yesterday we were out doing the last of our Christmas shopping for some friends at Borders book store. Of course, by we, I mean my wife. While she was looking for gifts, children's books, and other related paraphernalia, I was browsing the DVD section.

Much to my delight, I came across a copy of John Carpenter's classic, They Live. Of course, we had to get it, leading to a compromise with the wife to buy a movie of her choice. But at least we got to watch Rowdy Roddy Piper in his alien-killing badassness while wrapping presents.

Also, I found this music video to be excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_no1MeL0Wk

TOTD: In a tangent to Bubba's theme from yesterday, what movie have you purchased recently that is not mainstream, or has been out of popularity for a while? If you can't think of any, what obscure title would you like to purchase?

Speedy
12-14-2008, 09:06 AM
One of the wierdest yet pretty good one I purchased lately was Shadowboxer with Cuba Gooding jr. and Helen Mirren. They a pair of assassins and their relationship is quasi incestous because Mirren's character had adopted Gooding as a seven year old boy had raised him and they became lovers. The movie portrays how deeply loyal they are to each other. Helen Mirren goes from loving mom to passionate lover with Gooding depending on the situation. For an older, grey haired actress, Mirren is gorgeous and incredibly sexy in this one.

Bubba Dawg
12-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Great Thread. I love They Live. One of my favorites.

One movie I like to mention which is not mainstream but is excellent, the 1977 Ridley Scott masterpiece, The Duellists.

Based on a story by Joseph Conrad. Two officers in Napoleon's army fight a series of duels. Obsessive violence. Amazing photography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8nGgvepXCk

asdf2231
12-14-2008, 11:57 AM
TOTD

To my chagrin and embarassment I recently purchased a copy of "Runaway" with Tom Sellek and Gene Simmons and it really was as cheesy and bad as I remember.

Bubba Dawg
12-14-2008, 12:01 PM
TOTD

To my chagrin and embarassment I recently purchased a copy of "Runaway" with Tom Sellek and Gene Simmons and it really was as cheesy and bad as I remember.

Is that the one with the little robots? It was cheesy but I loved it.

Do all you guys check the $5.00 bin at Walmart? I've got some real treasures there. I just bought, for $5.00, The Magnificent Seven. Great Western.

And at the Grocery store the other day, for $5.99 I got The Last Waltz, Scorsese's film about the last concert by The Band.

Speedy
12-14-2008, 12:06 PM
From the $5 bin I have gotten Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man, Unforgiven, Minority Report among others.

asdf2231
12-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Is that the one with the little robots? It was cheesy but I loved it.

Do all you guys check the $5.00 bin at Walmart? I've got some real treasures there. I just bought, for $5.00, The Magnificent Seven. Great Western.

And at the Grocery store the other day, for $5.99 I got The Last Waltz, Scorsese's film about the last concert by The Band.

Walmart and Hechingers Hardware. I love the dump bins! :D