PDA

View Full Version : Italian Wedding Soup

patriot45
12-14-2008, 10:26 AM
It was cold last nite so I thought a nice soup was called for. The only pain in the ass is rolling all them little meatballs! Went great with grilled cheese sandwiches!

I used baby spinach and added carrots too.

Ingredients
Meatballs:
1 small onion, grated
1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 large egg
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 slice fresh white bread, crust trimmed, bread torn into small pieces
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
8 ounces ground beef
8 ounces ground pork
Freshly ground black pepper
Soup:
12 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 pound curly endive, coarsely chopped (1 pound of escarole would be a good substitution)
2 large eggs
2 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for garnish
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions
To make the meatballs: Stir the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl to blend. Stir in the cheese, beef and pork. Using 1 1/2 teaspoons for each, shape the meat mixture into 1-inch-diameter meatballs. Place on a baking sheet.

Time consuming, but worth it!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food/111aweddingsoup004.jpg

To make the soup: Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and curly endive and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the curly endive is tender, about 8 minutes. Whisk the eggs and cheese in a medium bowl to blend. Stir the soup in a circular motion. Gradually drizzle the egg mixture into the moving broth, stirring gently with a fork to form thin stands of egg, about 1 minute. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.

Ladle the soup into bowls and serve. Finish soup with parmesan cheese if desired.

Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food/111aweddingsoup009.jpg

Phillygirl
12-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Looks delicious! Did you use spinach instead of the endive/escarole?

Bubba Dawg
12-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Oh Man. I've only had the canned variety of this soup and I love it.

That recipe is now in my collection and I printed it out because I will make it soon.

Thanks P45. You sir are a star. :D

Zeus
12-14-2008, 12:22 PM
I had some homemade a couple days ago. It was pretty dang good. Something about the mini meatballs though,not bad just different.

megimoo
12-14-2008, 02:49 PM
It was cold last nite so I thought a nice soup was called for. The only pain in the ass is rolling all them little meatballs! Went great with grilled cheese sandwiches!

I used baby spinach and added carrots too.

Ingredients
Meatballs:
1 small onion, grated
1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 large egg
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 slice fresh white bread, crust trimmed, bread torn into small pieces
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
8 ounces ground beef
8 ounces ground pork
Freshly ground black pepper
Soup:
12 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 pound curly endive, coarsely chopped (1 pound of escarole would be a good substitution)
2 large eggs
2 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for garnish
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions
To make the meatballs: Stir the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl to blend. Stir in the cheese, beef and pork. Using 1 1/2 teaspoons for each, shape the meat mixture into 1-inch-diameter meatballs. Place on a baking sheet.

Time consuming, but worth it!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food/111aweddingsoup004.jpg

To make the soup: Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and curly endive and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the curly endive is tender, about 8 minutes. Whisk the eggs and cheese in a medium bowl to blend. Stir the soup in a circular motion. Gradually drizzle the egg mixture into the moving broth, stirring gently with a fork to form thin stands of egg, about 1 minute. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.

Ladle the soup into bowls and serve. Finish soup with parmesan cheese if desired.

Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food/111aweddingsoup009.jpg

Next time go to BJ'S or Costco and buy a couple of bags of either frozen turkey meat balls or beef and just slice them in half and reform into mini balls .Also pickup a jar of chicken soup base and stir into the broth about two table spoons .It will make it much richer !

patriot45
12-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Next time go to BJ'S or Costco and buy a couple of bags of either frozen turkey meat balls or beef and just slice them in half and reform into mini balls .Also pickup a jar of chicken soup base and stir into the broth about two table spoons .It will make it much richer !

Do not try this recipe with store bought meatballs!! :eek:

More then half the flavor is making your own meatballs, try it my way once and see the difference!

Hawkgirl
12-15-2008, 04:45 PM
The only thing I would change is to use real chicken broth instead of store-bought. When I prepare this I make chicken soup. I use the broth and I also add a little bit of shredded chicken into the soup.
I like to keep the meatballs the main part of the dish so the rest of the chicken I dice up for a chicken salad.
Also, I use escarole, spinach or swiss chard instead of endive.
Try this...it tastes SO much better than store bought chicken stock/broth. ;)

PoliCon
12-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Next time go to BJ'S or Costco and buy a couple of bags of either frozen turkey meat balls or beef and just slice them in half and reform into mini balls .Also pickup a jar of chicken soup base and stir into the broth about two table spoons .It will make it much richer !Notice that she used PICTURES. For SOUP NO LESS! :p

megimoo
12-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Notice that she used PICTURES. For SOUP NO LESS! :p
If you enjoy pictures of hot steaming chicken soup go and find a few and post them.Step by step pictures are good I will admit to guide one in the making of complicated dishes that require some sort of special folding technique when making a dish encrusted in dough such as Beef Wellington or some twisted French pastry but for a bowl of soup,naw.

If you are addicted to images while cooking go and buy a color copy of Larousse Gastronomique and you will be satiated !

Phillygirl
01-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Great idea, Patriot! I used escarole. For my meatballs I always use the meatloaf mix (beef, pork and veal). I also added some pastini to it. It's terrific!

Goldwater
01-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Goldwater approves of Italian cooking.

megimoo
01-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Goldwater approves of Italian cooking.Goldwater approves of just about any cooking !

Goldwater
01-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Goldwater approves of just about any cooking !

If it's good, why not? :cool: