PDA

View Full Version : Hillbilly...The Real Story

Phillygirl
12-14-2008, 08:02 PM
On the History Channel now, for those that haven't seen it before.

Bubba Dawg
12-14-2008, 08:04 PM

I've seen it. And I actually know Popcorn Sutton. For real.

Phillygirl
12-14-2008, 08:05 PM
I've seen it. And I actually know Popcorn Sutton. For real.

How cool!! How come he's only been busted three times for moonshining?

lurkalot
12-14-2008, 08:15 PM

seen it? hell, lived it... ;)

Bubba Dawg
12-14-2008, 08:18 PM
How cool!! How come he's only been busted three times for moonshining?

Why, Popcorn doesn't make moonshine, counselor.:eek: ;):D

I'll bet he doesn't weigh 95 pounds. And he talks and dresses just like he does in the show. Theoretically, I may have some of his alleged product in my house now.

I am sort of Hillbilly royalty. I hope you're duly impressed. ..sniff..

lurkalot
12-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Why, Popcorn doesn't make moonshine, counselor.:eek: ;):D

I'll bet he doesn't weigh 95 pounds. And he talks and dresses just like he does in the show. Theoretically, I may have some of his alleged product in my house now.

I am sort of Hillbilly royalty. I hope you're duly impressed. ..sniff..

oh please...like you are trying to convince us that you are some sort of moonshine royalty? "he went thataway officer, can't miss him, shaved legs, spandex shorts, pedalling a bicycle with a jug of shine in the basket"... Poor ATF guys would pee themselves laughing

Bubba Dawg
12-14-2008, 08:25 PM
oh please...like you are trying to convince us that you are some sort of moonshine royalty? "he went thataway officer, can't miss him, shaved legs, spandex shorts, pedalling a bicycle with a jug of shine in the basket"... Poor ATF guys would pee themselves laughing

Hey Hey Hey. Hillbilly royalty. My grandfather made some pretty good shine but it was over by the time I came along.

I actaully know Popcorn and the banjo playing boy from Deliverance.

Now don't you feel foolish for having made fun of me. :cool:

lurkalot
12-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Hey Hey Hey. Hillbilly royalty. My grandfather made some pretty good shine but it was over by the time I came along.

I actaully know Popcorn and the banjo playing boy from Deliverance.

Now don't you feel foolish for having made fun of me. :cool:

Okay the deliverance guy doesn't surprise me in the least :cool: But pulling your grandfather's shine making days isn't giving me alot of white trash credibility on your part. Two generations ago? C'mon now..without googling it:

What is the wood used in the barrels? What type of tubing is best? What happens if you drink "green" shine?
What is the best way to age it? How does the process actually work? What happens if you get a call warning you and then the government agents show up and you have fed your mash to the chickens?

Bubba Dawg
12-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Okay the deliverance guy doesn't surprise me in the least :cool: But pulling your grandfather's shine making days isn't giving me alot of white trash credibility on your part. Two generations ago? C'mon now..without googling it:

What is the wood used in the barrels? What type of tubing is best? What happens if you drink "green" shine?
What is the best way to age it? How does the process actually work? What happens if you get a call warning you and then the government agents show up and you have fed your mash to the chickens?

First, if you feed the leavins to chickens or squirrels it makes 'em mean as hell. Hogs it just makes drunk.

That barrel thing is too high fallutin' for me. Plastic jugs. Glass for the high dollar stuff. I have seen some aged in burnt white oak barrels. Once fully distilled, it's ready to drink. Copper tubing is de reiguer.

I've never heard of green shine. Is that the same as the slop or the beer?

Usually you distill it more than once and then cut it with good clear water.

lurkalot
12-14-2008, 08:52 PM
First, if you feed the leavins to chickens or squirrels it makes 'em mean as hell. Hogs it just makes drunk.

That barrel thing is too high fallutin' for me. Plastic jugs. Glass for the high dollar stuff. I have seen some aged in burnt white oak barrels. Once fully distilled, it's ready to drink. Copper tubing is de reiguer.

I've never heard of green shine. Is that the same as the slop or the beer?

Usually you distill it more than once and then cut it with good clear water.

"green" shine is when you don't age it at least a week in the oak barrels that you have tied down in the "crick" not river, not creek...crick...not swamp, not slough... and if you drink it green, it gives you the "blind staggers"

cut it? HEATHEN :eek: If you can't light it and have a pure blue flame off the top of your glass, you're a wussy boy. Tested my brother's once with an antifreeze tester, it was good to -30 degrees.

always use copper and the old milk cans, some fools use radiator parts and the end result is worse than blind staggers.

Bubba Dawg
12-14-2008, 09:09 PM
"green" shine is when you don't age it at least a week in the oak barrels that you have tied down in the "crick" not river, not creek...crick...not swamp, not slough... and if you drink it green, it gives you the "blind staggers"

cut it? HEATHEN :eek: If you can't light it and have a pure blue flame off the top of your glass, you're a wussy boy. Tested my brother's once with an antifreeze tester, it was good to -30 degrees.

always use copper and the old milk cans, some fools use radiator parts and the end result is worse than blind staggers.

Well see, if you make good shine, you have to cut it. Not many folks want or can stand 140 proof or more. You can buy a tester that will take you up to about 140 proof. Beyond that, the equipment gets too expensive. You can also look at the bead but I was never good at that. About 90 proof is good to me. Above that and I get the blind staggers....

Aging moonshine? Hmmmm. The reason for this is.....:confused::p

Run it straight from the condenser into a jug. Usually distill it three times. Makes it good and strong.

I lit some of Popcorn's once in a spoon. I thought, crap, won't burn. Then I saw the heat radiating from it and the liquid in the spoon was going away. No visible flame. Jeez.

lurkalot
12-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Well see, if you make good shine, you have to cut it. Not many folks want or can stand 140 proof or more. You can buy a tester that will take you up to about 140 proof. Beyond that, the equipment gets too expensive. You can also look at the bead but I was never good at that. About 90 proof is good to me. Above that and I get the blind staggers....

Aging moonshine? Hmmmm. The reason for this is.....:confused::p

Run it straight from the condenser into a jug. Usually distill it three times. Makes it good and strong.

I lit some of Popcorn's once in a spoon. I thought, crap, won't burn. Then I saw the heat radiating from it and the liquid in the spoon was going away. No visible flame. Jeez.

ah i can see you are from the wussy eastern recipe of cutting it versus aging...
sort of like the great barbeque sauce debate amonst the regions ... its been going on for centuries..

Bubba Dawg
12-14-2008, 09:29 PM
ah i can see you are from the wussy eastern recipe of cutting it versus aging...
sort of like the great barbeque sauce debate amonst the regions ... its been going on for centuries..

Us for real Hillbillies know that there are three things that we have to go easy on or people would be injured:

1. Fightin'

2. Lovin'

3. Moonshine.

If a Hillbilly like me went at any of these full strength, well, ordinary people just couldn't stand it.

I'm sort of like an Elvis movie and the Tour de France, all rolled into one. You know, a hunka hunka burnin' love....:cool:

lurkalot
12-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Us for real Hillbillies know that there are three things that we have to go easy on or people would be injured:

1. Fightin'

2. Lovin'

3. Moonshine.

If a Hillbilly like me went at any of these full strength, well, ordinary people just couldn't stand it.

I'm sort of like an Elvis movie and the Tour de France, all rolled into one. You know, a hunka hunka burnin' love....:cool:

Good lord, I snorted so hard at that I scared the rabbit, a.k.a. emergency food supply:eek:

Bubba Dawg
12-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Good lord, I snorted so hard at that I scared the rabbit, a.k.a. emergency food supply:eek:

Isn't it amazing how many 'Hillbilly' threads Philly starts? This is the third one this week.

Maybe she just pretends to be in Philadelphia.....hmmmm...there's this funny talkin' woman who lives in the double-wide next to me. She drives a honey-dipper and is always playing the theme to Rocky......... hikes a lot.....

...you don't think...:eek:

lurkalot
12-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Isn't it amazing how many 'Hillbilly' threads Philly starts? This is the third one this week.

Maybe she just pretends to be in Philadelphia.....hmmmm...there's this funny talkin' woman who lives in the double-wide next to me. She drives a honey-dipper and is always playing the theme to Rocky......... hikes a lot.....

...you don't think...:eek:

I've always known :cool: But I go along with her cover story, makes her feel important

Bubba Dawg
12-15-2008, 12:03 AM
I've always known :cool: But I go along with her cover story, makes her feel important

Well, drivin' a honey-dipper is pretty important. She has coveralls with her name stitched on them and everything.

lurkalot
12-15-2008, 12:06 AM
Well, drivin' a honey-dipper is pretty important. She has coveralls with her name stitched on them and everything.

yeah, but the grass is always greener...wait, i guess in her job, the grass is always greener where ever she goes... ;)

Bubba Dawg
12-15-2008, 12:12 AM
yeah, but the grass is always greener...wait, i guess in her job, the grass is always greener where ever she goes... ;)

LOL. I'm sure she's flushed with pride, whatever she does for living.

She's very stylish too. I've noticed that when she sunbathes up on the roof of her dogpen, all her tatoos are very tasteful. The one above her beltline in the back is in Latin.

Bubba Dawg
12-15-2008, 09:42 PM
She also has a really nice above-ground pool.