PDA

View Full Version : Store Bans Sale Of Fake Lightsabers To Kids. Could Be Mistaken For Fake Guns.

Gingersnap
12-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Store bosses fear Star Wars toy could be mistaken for firearm

Dec 14 2008 By Nick McCarthy

TROUBLED shop bosses are banning the sale of a plastic Star Wars lightsaber to anybody under the age of 18 because they think it could be mistaken for a gun.

The extendable toy, aimed at children aged six and above, is modelled on the weapon made famous in the battle scenes between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader in the classic Star Wars films.

But troubled retailer Woolworths is restricting the sale of the £24.99 Christmas favourite at its stores across the Midlands in case it gets into the wrong hands.

The company, which is in the midst of a massive closing down sale, will not allow anyone under the age of 18 to buy the bright blue, plastic toy.

An expert on the rules governing the sale of imitation firearms said the company was “going over the top” by banning the toy.

(snip)

“There is a serious side to all this. Some toys that do look like guns in shape, size and colour should not be sold to under 18s. As well as the many hundreds of times that armed police are called out across the country, there is the very serious danger that people can get shot.”

There is a serious danger that people can be shot - but not by plastic lightsabers.

Bang! Buzzzzz. What's the Difference? (http://www.sundaymercury.net/news/midlands-news/2008/12/14/store-bosses-fear-star-wars-toy-could-be-mistaken-for-firearm-66331-22469862/)

PoliCon
12-15-2008, 03:35 PM
There is a serious danger that people can be shot - but not by plastic lightsabers.

Bang! Buzzzzz. What's the Difference? (http://www.sundaymercury.net/news/midlands-news/2008/12/14/store-bosses-fear-star-wars-toy-could-be-mistaken-for-firearm-66331-22469862/)How dumb do you have to be to mistake a lightsaber for a gun?

asdf2231
12-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Store bosses fear Star Wars toy could be mistaken for firearm

Dec 14 2008 By Nick McCarthy

TROUBLED shop bosses are banning the sale of a plastic Star Wars lightsaber to anybody under the age of 18 because they think it could be mistaken for a gun.

The extendable toy, aimed at children aged six and above, is modelled on the weapon made famous in the battle scenes between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader in the classic Star Wars films.

But troubled retailer Woolworths is restricting the sale of the £24.99 Christmas favourite at its stores across the Midlands in case it gets into the wrong hands.

Please God just once before I die let someone try to mug me with a retractable plastic lightsaber. :D

Lars1701a
12-15-2008, 05:23 PM
on a side note I thought woolworths went out of business many years ago

"But troubled retailer Woolworths is restricting the sale of the £24.99 Christmas favourite at its stores across the Midlands in case it gets into the wrong hands"

PoliCon
12-15-2008, 05:27 PM
on a side note I thought woolworths went out of business many years ago

"But troubled retailer Woolworths is restricting the sale of the £24.99 Christmas favourite at its stores across the Midlands in case it gets into the wrong hands"they did - in the US. They still exist in the UK.

JB
12-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Bring back candy cigarettes.

Bubba Dawg
12-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Bring back candy cigarettes.

I am in awe of you.

Lars1701a
12-16-2008, 06:46 AM
they did - in the US. They still exist in the UK.

I remember one in the town I grew up in, very fond memories :)

I remember when they tore it down to put up a Kmart :(

djones520
12-16-2008, 07:21 AM
What is with Britains paranoia about guns? This makes as much sense a man with rabid hamsters in his pants.

enslaved1
12-16-2008, 10:47 AM
What is with Britains paranoia about guns? This makes as much sense a man with rabid hamsters in his pants.

I can't remember now who it was, but a long time ago I saw an interview with some metal dude (it may be on a video magazine I've got boxed up somewhere) and he was talking about being in England and trying to figure out why there were so many stabbings. Then it hit him, it's because guns are outlawed. They can't shoot each other, so they stab each other. Every time I see a story about guns in the UK I'm reminded of that.

noonwitch
12-16-2008, 01:23 PM
How dumb do you have to be to mistake a lightsaber for a gun?

Dumb enough to be a cop. If I pointed a toy light saber at a burglar, he'd probably laugh as he shot me with his real gun.

Zathras
12-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Store Bans Sale Of Fake Lightsabers To Kids

Wait, you've been holding out on us Ginger. You said in the thread title "fake lightsaber"...c'mon, tell us....where are they selling the real lightsabers???? :D

PoliCon
12-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Wait, you've been holding out on us Ginger. You said in the thread title "fake lightsaber"...c'mon, tell us....where are they selling the real lightsabers???? :DGOOD QUESTION!! :D