PDA

View Full Version : London cyclists too white, male and middle-class, says capital's cycling chief

Banacek
05-29-2018, 02:53 PM
Cyclists in London are too white, male and middle class and more must be done to encourage women and ethnic minority groups to switch from four wheels to two, the city’s walking and cycling commissioner has said.

Grand schemes, such as the Cycle Superhighway network of partially-segregated routes linking the suburbs with the centre, are too often perceived as simply a way of getting “middle-aged men cycling faster around the city”, Will Norman acknowledged.

He said he was considering setting diversity targets for London’s cycling population to ensure progress was achieved.

If the diversity targets aren't met does he propose to fine or ban white cyclists until the "target' is met ?

http://archive.fo/cMVCT

Dlr Pyro
05-29-2018, 03:07 PM
If the diversity targets aren't met does he propose to fine or ban white cyclists until the "target' is met ?

http://archive.fo/cMVCTWouldn't surprise me. Somebody has to put those white cyclists in their place...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

noonwitch
05-30-2018, 09:07 AM
Raise some money, buy bikes and give them away to people.

My brother runs a program for the UMC that does exactly that. They also take beat up old bikes, fix them and give them away.

One of the HMOs in Detroit has rental bike stations all over the downtown and WSU areas in Detroit. You can rent one at one stop and drop it off later at another. Help people keep healthy and make some money while at it.

If the cycling chief identifies a lack of diversity as a problem, there are ways to address it without being a whiner.

FlaGator
05-30-2018, 09:56 AM
Wouldn't surprise me. Somebody has to put those white cyclists in their place...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Damn them uppity white cyclists and their discriminatory ways.

SVPete
05-30-2018, 01:45 PM
OK, could someone explain what the outrage is in this "imbalance"? Is it because not enough women choose a presumed healthier recreation/commute? Is it because women choose to use an eeeeee-vile automobile?