PDA

View Full Version : Are You Done With Christmas Shopping?

Gingersnap
12-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Thankfully, I am. I have one thing to wrap but that's it for me. Mr. Snaps was done (and wrapped) shortly after Halloween. Are you done? Why? Why not?

JB
12-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Are You Done With Christmas Shopping?Is it the 24th already?

Gingersnap
12-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Is it the 24th already?

Yes, it is. You'd better hurry. :D

Phillygirl
12-15-2008, 08:09 PM
I bought my second present tonight. And a bunch of stuff for me. Do you just tell Mr. Snaps what to get you, or does he surprise you? Or do you buy it, wrap it, and then tell him it's from him?

BSR
12-15-2008, 08:12 PM
No. I havent started. I plan on getting it all done after work on Friday.

Gingersnap
12-15-2008, 08:15 PM
I bought my second present tonight. And a bunch of stuff for me. Do you just tell Mr. Snaps what to get you, or does he surprise you? Or do you buy it, wrap it, and then tell him it's from him?

Rarely, I just moon over something for several months and I get it from him. Being a card-carrying adult with a professional job, I usually only do this to "help" him. Otherwise, I just buy it myself.

Normally, he surprises me. Sometimes it's weird, usually it's great. This doesn't apply to jewelry, of course. He gets the exact description for that and the card of the sales person I spoke with earlier. ;)

Phillygirl
12-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Rarely, I just moon over something for several months and I get it from him. Being a card-carrying adult with a professional job, I usually only do this to "help" him. Otherwise, I just buy it myself.

Normally, he surprises me. Sometimes it's weird, usually it's great. This doesn't apply to jewelry, of course. He gets the exact description for that and the card of the sales person I spoke with earlier. ;)

Heh. Reminds me of my partner's wife's 50th. He thought she wanted a diamond tennis bracelet. He took me down to look at the one he had picked out. It was hideous. My reaction crushed him, as he's horrible at such things, and I could see he was going into serious meltdown. I called his wife on some pretext to see if I could garner any useful info. She was on to me immediately, described the exact item she wanted (which wasn't even a tennis bracelet), including store and placement in the window. I simply marched him down, pointed it out to the sales person and had them wrap it.

She now simply tells me if there's something in particular she wants, otherwise she mostly buys it for herself.

I like to be surprised, but it rarely turns out well. I've now succumbed to simply giving a list, with specifics. The surprise factor is missing, but I no longer get reflectors for my hiking shoes. :rolleyes:

Space Gravy
12-15-2008, 09:03 PM
I am done and happy about it.

Gingersnap
12-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Heh. Reminds me of my partner's wife's 50th. He thought she wanted a diamond tennis bracelet. He took me down to look at the one he had picked out. It was hideous. My reaction crushed him, as he's horrible at such things, and I could see he was going into serious meltdown. I called his wife on some pretext to see if I could garner any useful info. She was on to me immediately, described the exact item she wanted (which wasn't even a tennis bracelet), including store and placement in the window. I simply marched him down, pointed it out to the sales person and had them wrap it.

She now simply tells me if there's something in particular she wants, otherwise she mostly buys it for herself.

I like to be surprised, but it rarely turns out well. I've now succumbed to simply giving a list, with specifics. The surprise factor is missing, but I no longer get reflectors for my hiking shoes. :rolleyes:

I think it depends on the age/economics/lifestyle of the woman. When I was 18, I was thrilled to get almost anything that didn't turn my skin green. Now, I have some very good pieces (some through gifts, some through inheritance, some bought) and I'm more selective and less crazy.

One of the best "surprise" gifts I got from Mr. Snaps was a set of to-die-for kitchen knives. I use them every single day and they are a joy to use. A lot of women wouldn't like that as a present but it was perfect for me. Frankly, I can buy my own Victoria's Secret stuff. I know the size, color, and sex-factor.

Let's just put it this way - no matter how it looked on Heidi Klum, feather boa-related see-through wear needs a test drive on the actual recipient. :D

Bubba Dawg
12-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Done. I'm waiting for all Five Seasons of Babylon Five to come for Miz Bubba. She'll be surprised. :D

Phillygirl
12-15-2008, 09:23 PM
I think it depends on the age/economics/lifestyle of the woman. When I was 18, I was thrilled to get almost anything that didn't turn my skin green. Now, I have some very good pieces (some through gifts, some through inheritance, some bought) and I'm more selective and less crazy.

One of the best "surprise" gifts I got from Mr. Snaps was a set of to-die-for kitchen knives. I use them every single day and they are a joy to use. A lot of women wouldn't like that as a present but it was perfect for me. Frankly, I can buy my own Victoria's Secret stuff. I know the size, color, and sex-factor.

Let's just put it this way - no matter how it looked on Heidi Klum, feather boa-related see-through wear needs a test drive on the actual recipient. :D

I agree. Some surprises have been huge hits (string of pearls...how can you go wrong there?); hiking boots (getting them was a surprise, but he took me for the fitting...perfect gift idea though, and next to the pearls, probably my favorite gift).

biccat
12-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Yup, all done. The wife and I bought a new big screen TV for ourselves after Thanksgiving. Everyone else was pretty easy.

PoliCon
12-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Thankfully, I am. I have one thing to wrap but that's it for me. Mr. Snaps was done (and wrapped) shortly after Halloween. Are you done? Why? Why not?Most of it. I did the majority online again this year - and did a HUGE percentage of it at just one website. :) http://www.thinkgeek.com/ I LOVE IT!! So many great gifts for the kids and fun gifts for the adults!! Who can honestly say they would not LOVE one of these - http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/cubegoodies/a1c2/ ?? :) Or this - http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/posters/5cd7/zoom/ ?

Or one of these - http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/giftsforher/b020/ - if you are a lady :)

RobJohnson
12-15-2008, 11:31 PM
About 50% done.

linda22003
12-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Done. I'm waiting for all Five Seasons of Babylon Five to come for Miz Bubba. She'll be surprised. :D

You might be surprised too. This video could save your life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knashC5uBx4

PoliCon
12-16-2008, 03:18 PM
You might be surprised too. This video could save your life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knashC5uBx4I thought it was gonna be another JARED commercial. BESIDES - what's wrong with a thighmaster for Christmas?? :confused:

cat714
12-16-2008, 07:25 PM
This year is total chaos for me. Usually I have my shopping done by the end of October, but so far I have 80% of it done. Work has been busy (which I shouldn't be bitching about) and I was caught up in planning a Christmas party. I finally bought my tree today...yay!!!

linda22003
12-17-2008, 02:31 PM
I thought it was gonna be another JARED commercial. BESIDES - what's wrong with a thighmaster for Christmas?? :confused:

Good luck getting past the tribunal. Your appeal has DENIED written all over it.

PoliCon
12-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Good luck getting past the tribunal. Your appeal has DENIED written all over it.

MEH. The Mrs. has an even more twisted sense of humor than do I. She did give me a penis pump in front of my parents one year for Christmas . . . . :o