PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones For The Dead.

Gingersnap
12-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Bury me with my cell phone

Dying doesn’t mean hanging it up for some mobile aficionados

Duane Hoffmann / msnbc.com
View related photos updated 7:13 a.m. MT, Tues., Dec. 16, 2008

We take them with us to the dinner table, the bedroom, even the bathroom stall. But in recent years, some of us have started taking our beloved cell phones someplace really startling: the grave.

“It seems that everyone under 40 who dies takes their cell phone with them,” says Noelle Potvin, family service counselor for Hollywood Forever, a funeral home and cemetery in Hollywood, Calif. “It’s a trend with BlackBerrys, too. We even had one guy who was buried with his Game Boy.”

Anecdotal evidence suggests being buried with a favorite tech device is on the upswing. The Future Laboratory, a London-based think tank, has commented on the behavior, noting it in places like the United Kingdom, Australia and South Africa. But experts are seeing it happen in the United States as well.

Ed Defort, publisher and editorial director for American Funeral Director magazine, says it's a definite trend.

“I’ve even heard of cases where people are being buried with their iPod. Or one guy who was prepared for his viewing with his Bluetooth (headset) in his ear.”

But it’s the cell phone, in particular, that seems to be the burial gadget of choice.

(snip)

Comfort for the living
Others do it as a way to provide comfort — both to themselves and the departed.

“I’ve seen family members place iPod earphones on the decedent and play songs as the casket closed,” says Pam Vetter, a Los Angeles funeral planner who helps create more personalized services for families.

“It’s comforting to the family to think mom’s playing her iPod or dad’s still got the cell phone that was attached to his ear all the time,” she said. “It’s comforting to think those things are still with them.”

The notion of staying connected also seems to play into being buried with one’s mobile.

“I’ve seen people leave cell phones on and tell me they’re going to call their loved one later,” says Vetter. “Not that anyone will answer, but they want to have that connection. I’m sure the family gathers around the phone when they call. They feel connected with that person because it’s their phone, but at the same time it helps them realize that a death has occurred.”

When Manhattan criminal defense attorney John Jacobs died in 2005, his wife, Marion Seltzer, not only buried him with his phone and a fully charged battery, she continues to pay the monthly phone bill and even calls him on occasion (since the battery’s now dead, the calls immediately go into Jacobs’ voicemail).

She also had his cell phone number carved onto his headstone so others can call him, too, according to one television report.

Frank Perman says phone calls to the dead aren’t that uncommon.

“We had a young man die this past summer and they put his cell phone in the casket for the viewing and it rang constantly,” he says. “It was turned to silent, but you could see the phone light up so you knew people were calling. And they were leaving messages. They knew he was dead, but they were still calling.”

This is just wrong. :eek:

Can You Hear Me Now? (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28182292/)

bijou
12-16-2008, 03:23 PM
The really freaky thing would be if the deceased answered.

PoliCon
12-16-2008, 04:02 PM
wow talk about stupid.

Speedy
12-16-2008, 04:18 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/speed_addiction/Fun/2008-12-16_151642.jpg

PoliCon
12-16-2008, 04:20 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/speed_addiction/Fun/2008-12-16_151642.jpg
what is that a picture from?

enslaved1
12-16-2008, 04:27 PM
I seem to recall some groups of people who buried their dead with everything the dead would need to take with them into the afterlife...could it be that history is repeating itself? This could also lead to a rebirth of another ancient tradtion, graverobbing!

"Cool phone, where'd ya get it?"
"Sunset Cemetary."
"Sweet"

megimoo
12-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Thus the need for solar powered tombstones to keep the batteries charged and external cell towers at the edge of Cemeteries.In California they have talking TombStones with proximity sensers that will tell you the life story of the dead and some even sing.In some pet cemeteries in Holywood there is Virtual Symphony of dogs barking and various birds and cats in full voice at the rising and setting of the sun !

PoliCon
12-16-2008, 04:48 PM
It's amazing what people will do when the fear death.

Goldwater
12-16-2008, 04:51 PM
A tad creepy.

Speedy
12-16-2008, 04:55 PM
I seem to recall some groups of people who buried their dead with everything the dead would need to take with them into the afterlife...could it be that history is repeating itself? This could also lead to a rebirth of another ancient tradtion, graverobbing!

"Cool phone, where'd ya get it?"
"Sunset Cemetary."
"Sweet"

If I did that, I would not change the number until I answered it a few times.

Speedy
12-16-2008, 04:56 PM
what is that a picture from?

The picture is from someone's Flickr album of some Halloween march.

PoliCon
12-16-2008, 05:04 PM
The picture is from someone's Flickr album of some Halloween march.looks like an anti-war march. :(

Gingersnap
12-16-2008, 08:35 PM
I just attended a multimedia funeral today. It was kind of sad. No cell phone action (except from people who forgot to turn their own phones off) but plenty of Powerpoint.