PDA

View Full Version : Things you should do at least once in your lifetime

Phillygirl
06-19-2008, 09:06 AM
What are some things everyone should do at least once in a lifetime?

Some of them for me are:

1. Jump out of an airplane
2. Fall in love
3. Run until your legs are rubber
4. See a foreign country
5. Climb a mountain
6. Hear a newborn's cry

What's your list?

Shannon
06-19-2008, 09:20 AM

Some of them for me are:

2. Fall in love
4. See a foreign country
5. Climb a mountain
6. Hear a newborn's cry

What's your list?

Climb a mountain? And hearing a newborn cry is highly overrated.

Phillygirl
06-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Climb a mountain? And hearing a newborn cry is highly overrated.

Yes, climb a mountain. I have climbed several. And I've heard a newborn cry. Once is enough for the newborn crying thing. But I can never climb enough mountains! So where's your list, missy?

linda22003
06-19-2008, 10:02 AM
On the other end of a newborn's cry, this may sound bizarre, but it is very meaningful to be with a person at the moment of death.

SaintLouieWoman
06-19-2008, 10:04 AM

Some of them for me are:

2. Fall in love
4. See a foreign country
5. Climb a mountain
6. Hear a newborn's cry

What's your list?

All the bolded have done. Others on my list that I've done:

1. Travelled through Europe with no reservations using the Eurail pass.
2. Walked by a cape buffalo in Tanzania---only way to get to the food (it had been a long trip and wasn't going to let a wild animal get in the way of the dinner pavilion).
3. Walk through bear country on Vancouver Island

What I want to do is travel again to the West. Need more adventures, rather than remembering past trips.

SaintLouieWoman
06-19-2008, 10:06 AM
On the other end of a newborn's cry, this may sound bizarre, but it is very meaningful to be with a person at the moment of death.
Sadly it is. Had that experience with my mom. The other family was talking to the minister; I saw the moment when it was all over.Very profound.

patriot45
06-19-2008, 10:09 AM
1. go marlin fishing
2. coastal tour of Italy
3. fly-in to a remote camp in canada to fish and hunt
4. test drive a new Lamborghini
5. visit the space station

The only one probable is the Marlin trip.

Phillygirl
06-19-2008, 10:34 AM
All the bolded have done. Others on my list that I've done:

1. Travelled through Europe with no reservations using the Eurail pass.
2. Walked by a cape buffalo in Tanzania---only way to get to the food (it had been a long trip and wasn't going to let a wild animal get in the way of the dinner pavilion).
3. Walk through bear country on Vancouver Island

What I want to do is travel again to the West. Need more adventures, rather than remembering past trips.

I haven't done all on my list. What are some others on your list?

LogansPapa
06-19-2008, 10:49 AM
So where's your list, missy?

Iíd imagine Shannonís would be a single item: Leave two red marks on the throats of every living human being.;)

gator
06-19-2008, 11:29 AM
I would add:

Kill a Commie.

Have sex with an alligator.

Get the Clap.

Screw a horny Australian girl.

Get stranded on an island for a three day weekend with no food.

Be in an helicopter crash.

Those are some things I have heard are interesting. I have not done all of them.

I was stranded on an island for three days. When I was a teenager my cousins and I decided to go hunting on an island in the middle of a big lake. It was in November. We left after school on Friday afternoon. We expected only to be gone for a few hours. We never really told anybody where we were going. We took a small boat to the island. While we were out and about the boat drifted off and we were stranded. There was nobody around.

That first night a cold front came through and it rained and got chilly. We were soaked, hungry and cold. We couldn't sleep. The next day nobody was on the lake because it was windy and cool. We got much hungrier. We shot a coot and tried to eat it but it tasted awful. There was a wild sour orange tree on the island but the oranges were still green. Sunday was also really miserable and it rained some more. Nobody else on the lake we could call to.

It wasn't until Monday when we were rescued. Everybody was looking for us and someone had found our vehicle on the shore.

I put this on my list because it was a great adventure that gave me a new perspective on things. It knocked me out of my High School mentality of rock and roll and drive in theaters. I think everybody should have an adventure in their life time because it puts your mind right.

megimoo
06-19-2008, 11:43 AM

Some of them for me are:

2. Fall in love
4. See a foreign country
5. Climb a mountain
6. Hear a newborn's cry

What's your list?

Alaska RiverTrout Fly Fishing:

Above Pools :Water Bends Best Bait: Little Drake Stonefly
Fallen Brush Best Bait: Copper John Nymph
Stone Shelves Best Bait: Rooster Trail
Plunge Pools Best Bait: Ear Nymph

Alaska Ocean Trout fishing:

Ketchikan, known as the "Salmon Capitol of the World" is perched on the edge of Alaska fishing waters that harbor five unique type of Salmon, the legendary Chinook, or King, the Red or Sockeye, the Silver or Coho, the Pink or Humpback, and the Chum.

Fishing at the Mouth of the Columbia River: in the perpetual fog banks and
surging tides of the Pacific Northwest:

salmon and steelhead fishing.The year's first salmon begin appearing in the lower river in good numbers in March. These are "spring salmon" running 15-30 pounds and are considered the hardest fighting

Alaska Halibut "America's favorite fish"

They can grow to more than 8 ft long and 700 lbs. Halibut weighing in at more than 100 pounds are often called "Whales", "Soakers", or even "Barn Doors", while smaller halibut, less than 20 pounds, are often called "Chickens".

"And as a reward after all of that 'work' !"

Masquite wood-Grilled Halibut with Delmonico's potatoes woodhole baked beans,slabs of sourdough bread and a bunch of Anchor Steam Beer.After all of that a deep camp chair beside the roaring river to put me to sleep !

Shannon
06-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Iíd imagine Shannonís would be a single item: Leave two red marks on the throats of every living human being.;)

You're next on that list.

Shannon
06-19-2008, 12:30 PM
I haven't done all on my list. What are some others on your list?

I've done everything on your list except climb a mountain. I assume you mean "mountain climbing" when you say that. No desire here.

LogansPapa
06-19-2008, 12:30 PM
You're next on that list.

I wish the thought of that didnít excite me just a little bit, but it does.;)

Phillygirl
06-19-2008, 03:52 PM
I've done everything on your list except climb a mountain. I assume you mean "mountain climbing" when you say that. No desire here.

You jumped out of an airplane? I really want to do that. I thought about doing it this summer while I'm in Utah...but I don't think the kid's parents would appreciate me having their kid do the same. So it will wait.

JB
06-19-2008, 04:04 PM
1. go marlin fishing

The only one probable is the Marlin trip.Caught a small white marlin. It was nothing like you see on TV. :D

Besides, how has anyone living in Florida not already done this?

patriot45
06-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Caught a small white marlin. It was nothing like you see on TV. :D

Besides, how has anyone living in Florida not already done this?

Hey, I'm in Plant City, not quite the area you can get a marlin!:D

I have a 10lb bass, caught a 36" snook, kingfish, wahoos, dolphin and cobias. Next trip to the Keys and I will try.

JB
06-19-2008, 04:32 PM
I have a 10lb bass, caught a 36" snook, kingfish, wahoos, dolphin and cobias. Next trip to the Keys and I will try.Wahoo was a neat fish. Never even knew there was such a fish until we caught one. Tasted pretty good too.

I have about 30 lbs of dolphin in my freezer right now.

LogansPapa
06-19-2008, 04:47 PM
East Coast hacks - you mean a Dorado?

http://www.landbigfish.com/images/gallery/pics/ACF5E0.jpg

:cool:

DarkScribe
06-19-2008, 04:52 PM
1) Publish my first novel...and then many more after that. :D

2) Visit a foreign country (preferably Italy, Spain, Ireland...England, too, of course)

3) See my stepson win the Super Bowl...or become President, whichever comes first! :p

4) Learn to play the guitar (although I doubt this will happen, but who knows)

5) Learn to scuba dive (but I'd have to have one of the damn shark-sticks with me...)

6) At some point, win the Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel.

7) See my award-winning novel made into a movie!

8) Write a screenplay (maybe from my award-winning novel).

9) Party with Edward Lee until we're both stinking drunk. And then we crank-call Stephen King and make fart-noises on the phone to him.

10) Cure Shannon of her interminable snarkiness. (Kidding!)

gator
06-19-2008, 04:57 PM

I have a 10lb bass, caught a 36" snook, kingfish, wahoos, dolphin and cobias. Next trip to the Keys and I will try.

Lets you and I go snook fishing.

DarkScribe
06-19-2008, 04:59 PM

I have some very fond memories of fishing--as a kid, obviously--with my brother and Mom in and around Pine Island, Sanibel, sometimes Ft Myers Beach. Usually we'd find this little rickety pier in Bokeelia (near Pine Island) and fish for a few hours and then go grab a grouper sandwich on the way home. My brother is the true fisherman in the family, has a pretty nice 20+ footer and goes out all the time. I don't do well on boats even though I LOVE being out on the water, damn motion-sickness crap. I am okay on lakes and rivers and near the coastline...but far out when it is rough, I friggin' get seasick. Hate it.

biccat
06-19-2008, 05:01 PM
move into my own house
have children
get a(nother) doctorate degree
serve in public office (my wife would probably kill me if I did tho...)
jump out of an airplane (this one is certainly last on the list)

I've done all the travelling and foreign country stuff. Pretty uninteresting, although I would like to see Australia sometime.

Shannon
06-19-2008, 06:09 PM
You jumped out of an airplane

And bungee jumped. What else ya got?:rolleyes:

gator
06-19-2008, 08:00 PM
ugh I would like to see Australia sometime.

You know this was on my list of what I thought everybody should do:

"Screw a horny Australian girl".

Phillygirl
06-19-2008, 08:01 PM
And bungee jumped. What else ya got?:rolleyes:

Eat street food in Olongopo.

Penguins Fan
06-19-2008, 08:10 PM
To do list -
foreign travel - See Vatican City, the Image of Guadalupe, Poland, Fatima, Lourdes, and Colombia

Domestic Travel
Spend a month or two driving through the American West
See the California missions

Other
Build a house
See my son grow up
See a Stanley Cup final playoff game in person

patriot45
06-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Eat street food in Olongopo.

Ewwwww, we could have lizards and bugs on a stick in Florida, Dont have to travel 7,00,000 miles to eat it.:eek::D

Phillygirl
06-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Ewwwww, we could have lizards and bugs on a stick in Florida, Dont have to travel 7,00,000 miles to eat it.:eek::D

I still have no idea what it was. But it wasn't bad. Besides...I was really really hungry! :D

patriot45
06-19-2008, 08:25 PM
I still have no idea what it was. But it wasn't bad. Besides...I was really really hungry! :D

Was it moving? :D

biccat
06-19-2008, 08:28 PM
See the Penguins win a Stanley Cup
Fixed. Go wings :D

You know this was on my list of what I thought everybody should do:

"Screw a horny Australian girl".
Somehow I don't think my wife would go for it. Although it would probably be more likely than running for political office.

Phillygirl
06-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Was it moving? :D

Nope...it was on a stick...and it was cooked over what appeared to be an inverted tin can with some sterno underneath. I'm sure it was healthy! :D

Jumpy
06-19-2008, 09:08 PM
You should hug a toilet vowing to never drink again. A good lesson to learn.

You should run naked down the middle of a road.

You should sit front row at a concert.

You should not jump out of an airplane.

You should see the ocean on both coasts.. have a campfire on the sand.

You should have babies and feel the maternal instincts kick in.

You should catch lightening bugs, and fill a jar with them and use them for a night light.

Phillygirl
06-19-2008, 09:12 PM
You should hug a toilet vowing to never drink again. A good lesson to learn.

You should run naked down the middle of a road.

You should sit front row at a concert.

You should not jump out of an airplane.

You should see the ocean on both coasts.. have a campfire on the sand.

You should have babies and feel the maternal instincts kick in.

You should catch lightening bugs, and fill a jar with them and use them for a night light.

Finally....somebody understood my OP. :)

Good ones. I haven't done 4 of the things on your list!

lurkalot
06-20-2008, 01:34 AM
Run naked in the rain
Look for monsters under the bed
Watch the sunrise over the mountain tops from a sleeping bag

dixierat
06-20-2008, 07:19 AM

Some of them for me are:

1. Jump out of an airplane Done that
2. Fall in love Done that
3. Run until your legs are rubber Done that
4. See a foreign country Done that
5. Climb a mountain Done that
6. Hear a newborn's cry Done that

What's your list?

The only thing I have left on my bucket list is to ride a motorcycle across our country.

Cold Warrior
06-20-2008, 07:22 AM
The only thing I have left on my bucket list is to ride a motorcycle across our country.

Don't end up like these guys! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMbATaj7Il8) :D

FuroraCeltica
06-20-2008, 07:55 AM
1) become a parent

2) be a good husband/wife

3) eat something really odd (think frogs legs etc)

4) meet someone who was involved in a really interesting historical event (I met Hans Blix once)

5) be involved in a really historical event: the words "I was there" are always great when talking to others

6) learn a foreign language

7) live in more than one country

8) spend a ridiculously large sum of money, just for fun (think months wages on the tables at Vegas)

9) try and visit at least one new country every year, for life

Zafod
06-20-2008, 11:09 AM
why hasnt anyone posted
"hearing your shild say I love you Daddy/Mommy"
I cant wait for that.

dixierat
06-20-2008, 11:40 AM
You should hug a toilet vowing to never drink again. A good lesson to learn. Done that
You should run naked down the middle of a road. Done that, prior to the one above

You should sit front row at a concert. Done that

You should not jump out of an airplane. Why not?

You should see the ocean on both coasts.. have a campfire on the sand. Done that

You should have babies and feel the maternal instincts kick in. Done that

You should catch lightening bugs, and fill a jar with them and use them for a night light. Done that.

Why not jump out of an airplane? It's fun!

BSR
06-20-2008, 11:48 AM
why hasnt anyone posted
"hearing your shild say I love you Daddy/Mommy"
I cant wait for that.

You'll melt like a ice cream cone on a warm day when it does happen. :D

Zafod
06-20-2008, 12:14 PM
You'll melt like a ice cream cone on a warm day when it does happen. :D

I know I will. :D

BSR
06-20-2008, 12:26 PM
I know I will. :D

Just wait till he clearly says "Daddy" instead of "dadda". You would think I won the fucking lottery, by how excited I got. My wife looked at me like I lost my damn mind. :)

dixierat
06-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Just wait till he clearly says "Daddy" instead of "dadda". You would think I won the fucking lottery, by how excited I got. My wife looked at me like I lost my damn mind. :)

Wait until he hits that first home run in baseball or some other such achievement. You'll think you're gonna burst at the seams.

BSR
06-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Wait until he hits that first home run in baseball or some other such achievement. You'll think you're gonna burst at the seams.

He's got a good arm now at the age of 2.. I cant wait till baseball and football :D