PDA

View Full Version : Odd and sundry

Retread
07-14-2018, 09:29 AM
MINNEAPOLIS ó A prison inmate serving a life term for two murders is running for a U.S. Senate seat in Minnesota. And itís legal.

Minnesota law bars inmates from running for state-level offices, but they can run for federal office. Leonard Richards is keenly aware of the loophole, and heís unsuccessfully sought federal office several times despite serving a prison sentence that offers no parole.

Richards, 75, was convicted of killing his half-sister, May Wilson, in 1982, and of fatally shooting his lawyer, Robert Stratton, in 1987. Strattonís sister said the Minnesota Secretary of Stateís Office told her it couldnít keep Richards off the ballot.

Zathras
07-14-2018, 10:08 AM
Did a little digging since it isn't mentioned. He's running as a Democrat.

Angry Old White Man
07-14-2018, 10:48 AM

Now that's shocking :biggrin-new:

Dlr Pyro
07-14-2018, 10:50 AM
Did a little digging since it isn't mentioned. He's running as a Democrat.Who'da thunk...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SVPete
07-14-2018, 11:48 AM
Linky (http://www.fox9.com/news/minnesota-prison-inmate-running-for-us-senate). BTW, the guy is also serving a life-without-parole sentence.

Retread
07-14-2018, 03:00 PM

I never doubted it for a minute. As far as I was concerned, that was a given.

noonwitch
07-17-2018, 11:23 AM
He got enough signatures on petitions, I guess. I got a personal thank you from Andy Levin (Sanders' son, who is running to replace his dad) for signing his, which was kind of nice. His primary opponent is a woman with a pretty good (in the liberal sense) record in the state legislature.

Legal son of Conyers, on the other hand, did not get enough signatures and is not in the running to replace the perv. Cousin of Conyers did get enough and is facing off against son of the late Coleman Young, who will probably win the primary and the general. There's a republican running, a very conservative African American pastor/veteran, but he doesn't have a chance-the district is mostly Detroit, with some of the western and downriver burbs-Dearborn, Westland, Allen Park, etc.