PDA

View Full Version : Facebook, Apple, YouTube and Spotify take down Alex Jones content

enslaved1
08-06-2018, 03:54 PM
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/apple-removes-most-u-conspiracy-theorists-podcasts-itunes-070519614--finance.html

I'll put this here because all sides involved are a bit nuts.

This is a case of private entities determining what content they allow, but we are running into a similar situation that we had with Walmart back in the olden days saying they wouldn't carry certain albums, or requiring edited content and covers. Wally World was big enough, and in some places, like the corner of the world I grew up I in, the only show in town, and was having undue influence in record labels choosing what they would release.

Regardless of one's opinion of Jones (he's not high on my priority list) it's definitely a test case. Facebook isn't quite the powerhouse it acts like, but Apple and YouTube are still major influencers, and removing someone from what is the equivilant of a public forum just because they aren't in lock step with the PC crowd, instead of letting them put their own foot in their mouth, or better yet, allowing intelligent discussion of the topics and opinions, which should weed out the idiots (in a logical rational world, at least) isn't just a slippery slope, it's a well greased drop.

That which hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Elspeth
08-06-2018, 05:44 PM
Sorry, I didn't see this. I usually post Alex Jones stuff in the conspiracy forum (The End of the World). Whatever you think of Alex Jones, I think it is important to fight these social media platforms on this.

SVPete
08-06-2018, 08:15 PM
As was said on Instapundit,

Lesson one in undermining conspiracy theorists is not doing stuff to them that looks a whole lot like a conspiracy.

Articulate_Ape
08-06-2018, 09:15 PM
I've never thought much of Alex Jones and his lunatic following, but banning him when there are tons of controversial people on social media smacks of clear bias and, not to sound like Alex, a bit of a conspiracy. For certain it's a dangerous precident even as Liberals shout down censorship claims with a "platform's right to host or not host whomever they choose" and the people's right to reject a speaker". While they have a point, it's the uneven way this has been handled. Can we expect the same to happen to Left-wing nutjobs the way it did to Alex Jones. I'm not holding my breath.

This is a dangerous course they have embarked on. In the end it could spell the end of free speech through attrition.

Elspeth
08-07-2018, 02:25 AM
I've never thought much of Alex Jones and his lunatic following, but banning him when there are tons of controversial people on social media smacks of clear bias and, not to sound like Alex, a bit of a conspiracy. For certain it's a dangerous precident even as Liberals shout down censorship claims with a "platform's right to host or not host whomever they choose" and the people's right to reject a speaker". While they have a point, it's the uneven way this has been handled. Can we expect the same to happen to Left-wing nutjobs the way it did to Alex Jones. I'm not holding my breath.

This is a dangerous course they have embarked on. In the end it could spell the end of free speech through attrition.

Agree with all of the above.

The fact that the Flat-Earthers and the Moon Landing Deniers still have their videos up and Jones does not is a sign this this is politically motivated.

old dog
08-07-2018, 08:39 AM
Sorry, I didn't see this. I usually post Alex Jones stuff in the conspiracy forum (The End of the World). Whatever you think of Alex Jones, I think it is important to fight these social media platforms on this.

Yes, fight them but NOT through legislation or the courts. Fight them by cancelling your account, stockholder's meetings, alternative venues, pressure their advertisers. Don't get the government involved.

FlaGator
08-07-2018, 09:46 AM

I don't believe that the left cares much for free speech because their speech is still protected. I think it would take reversing the tables on them before they would really get it but this is a case where we should fight fire with fire because of the precedents it will set.

noonwitch
08-07-2018, 01:18 PM
I'm not an Alex Jones fan. I really don't have a problem with companies not wanting his stuff posted on their websites, as long as he is allowed to keep his own website going.

Do you read some of the comments by his followers? The anti-Semitic crap and insane Jewish conspiracy theories that are crazier than Jones' own theories? If I owned Apple, Twitter or Facebook, I would not want this crap on my domain.

old dog
08-07-2018, 01:44 PM
I'm not an Alex Jones fan. I really don't have a problem with companies not wanting his stuff posted on their websites, as long as he is allowed to keep his own website going.

Do you read some of the comments by his followers? The anti-Semitic crap and insane Jewish conspiracy theories that are crazier than Jones' own theories? If I owned Apple, Twitter or Facebook, I would not want this crap on my domain.

Ditto on Alex Jones. Anything I see from him I immediately try to verify or refute from reputable sources. My fear is that some rational people on the right will take this up as a (phony) free speech issue,

ralph wiggum
08-07-2018, 01:52 PM
Agree with all of the above.

The fact that the Flat-Earthers and the Moon Landing Deniers still have their videos up and Jones does not is a sign this this is politically motivated.Only first heard of him supporting 9/11 conspiracy crap. Tossed him into the kook basket back then.

Are those 9/11 truthers still allowed to post such garbage?

NJCardFan
08-07-2018, 03:12 PM
This is all because he pestered Bernie Sanders but you don't see Maxine Waters' stuff being taken down even though she's called for violence against those whom she disagrees with.

Banacek
08-07-2018, 03:45 PM
I can show Alex Jones the graves of 8 of the little children that died in the Newton disaster.

I was at the cemetery to visit my best friend from high school an most of my life. His grave is near theirs.