PDA

View Full Version : Festive Friday

linda22003
12-19-2008, 08:03 AM
We're coming into the home stretch, campers. Six days to go.
It's rainy and foggy in the town on the Potomac, this morning. I'm hoping to leave early to get ready for the open house we're having tomorrow.

TOTD: Do you still give parties? We still give at least one a year, sometimes more, but large-scale entertaining seems to be dying out. Do people really not have sufficient glassware for fifty or sixty, any more?

FlaGator
12-19-2008, 08:14 AM
We're coming into the home stretch, campers. Six days to go.
It's rainy and foggy in the town on the Potomac, this morning. I'm hoping to leave early to get ready for the open house we're having tomorrow.

TOTD: Do you still give parties? We still give at least one a year, sometimes more, but large-scale entertaining seems to be dying out. Do people really not have sufficient glassware for fifty or sixty, any more?

Another warm and beautiful day here in North Florida.

TOTD. I quit giving parties when I got divorced. Good parties are just to difficult for one person to manange. Back when I was hosting them we tended to keep the guest list to around 30 or less. My house isn't that large and parking would be a problem.

linda22003
12-19-2008, 08:27 AM
I think that definitely makes sense. It takes both of us working pretty hard in advance to make it come together; then during the gathering we relax and enjoy. Afterward, the dishes are a lot for one person to handle as well.

Space Gravy
12-19-2008, 08:48 AM
No we don't.

We also don't know anyone who host one at their home.

We do the work thing at a restaurant.

I always remember when I was little my folks hosting and attending holiday parties.

I guess it's a trend that fading away.

linda22003
12-19-2008, 10:16 AM
I always remember when I was little my folks hosting and attending holiday parties.

I guess it's a trend that fading away.

I remember that, too. My parents had a large home and would have 100-150 people during the holidays. I can barely get to forty without breathing hard.
(Note to self: Mother had live-in cook/housekeeper, so don't beat yourself up too much).

Space Gravy
12-19-2008, 10:35 AM
I remember that, too. My parents had a large home and would have 100-150 people during the holidays. I can barely get to forty without breathing hard.
(Note to self: Mother had live-in cook/housekeeper, so don't beat yourself up too much).

I was always in charge of taking the coats and laying them on the bed in the guestroom when they hosted.

Between hosting and attending they would be involved in as many as 4 or 5 per year.

It's odd how things trend. We're not nearly as friendly, or have the interest in being as friendly with our neighbors as my parents were with theirs.

linda22003
12-19-2008, 11:04 AM
I was always in charge of taking the coats and laying them on the bed in the guestroom when they hosted.

When I was little, they'd find me in the guest room asleep amid the women's furs. :) You're right that we don't mingle as much, and I think we have lost something by it. My neighborhood is a real sixties throwback, a "Leave it to Beaver" kind of neighborhood where we still do these things.

BadCat
12-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Oh God, this is a day thread.

We go to parties all the time. We throw quite a few also.

We live on a cul-de-sac, and every summer, we and all the neighbors close off the street, put a firepit on the manhole cover in the cul-de-sac and invite everybody. Everybody on the cul-de-sac has a swimming pool, so it's like a big 4 house open house.

Always a great time.

Molon Labe
12-19-2008, 11:50 AM

We go to parties all the time. We throw quite a few also.

We live on a cul-de-sac, and every summer, we and all the neighbors close off the street, put a firepit on the manhole cover in the cul-de-sac and invite everybody. Everybody on the cul-de-sac has a swimming pool, so it's like a big 4 house open house.

Always a great time.

Great idea. I live in a cul de sac too. We have bonfires in my backyard most often...but this sounds like a great new twist.

Fog warnings here and nasty. Alot of delays in air travel.

TOTD: We had a bonfire several weeks ago for the whole neighborhood. It was toasty near the fire with temps around 29 that evening......but most of the food started to freeze after about 1/2 an hour into it.

linda22003
12-19-2008, 11:52 AM

Hey, I'm the day thread person on Friday. What tipped you off, the "Friday" in the subject line? :p

Gingersnap
12-19-2008, 11:57 AM
It's nice and bright today but we won't get out of the low teens for the weekend.

TOTD: Is this a trick question? Lord, yes - we give parties. Little dinner parties and big, explosive events and everything in between. If we quit giving parties, 80% of our friends and relatives would have no social life at all. :D

I think you are right that entertaining is dying out at the moment. People are so self-absorbed now that the strain of getting dressed, catering to other people's pleasure, and making light conversation is just too much for them. They'd rather hunch over a microwave meal and text all the dozens of close friends they never, ever see in person.

RobJohnson
12-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Yeah, just six days and it will all be over!

Just have a few small gifts to pass out today. I have a couple elderly neighbors with no family close by, and I want to make sure they have a gift to open on the 25th.

Shopping is done (except for one gift card) and the only plastic I used this year was "debit"...so no January bills after the fact....

TOTD: Same deal as BadCat, alot of us get together all year round....both indoors and out...pool, hot tub, pit bbq, outdoor kitchens, etc...Memorial day weekend always had a big bash in a couple lakeside cottages in Boulder Junction, WI....did not do that this year (muskie capital of the world)...hopefully next year again..

M21
12-19-2008, 12:23 PM

We've sponsored some pretty big parties. We used to put together an annual "beach party" in Alaska in the dead of winter. I knew the guys who sanded the roads and they would fill an industrial garage of ours with sand. We had a live band, volleyball nets and multiple kegs of beer. We also rented a small bus to take everybody home. People brought surfboards; women wore bikinis, etc, etc. Partied like rock stars.

Now we host an overnighter a couple times each summer at our place. We live in a natural park like setting and have a small quest cabin. Some just pitch dome tents. We have gravel tent pads and huge fire ring made by the same guy who builds them for the National Park Service.

Obviously much more informal.

Gingersnap
12-20-2008, 12:09 AM
Speaking of parties, I just got back from my upscale retirement thingy.

The venue was perfect, the food was great, and the champagne flowed......well, like decent champagne. My crew of Uber Geeks loosened up and had a major chat fest. Some managed to wear real shoes. The outside guests mingled successfully. The highly dreaded air pollution overview which my retiring Boss insisted on giving went over very well due to the somewhat lubricated audience participation elements (and my own stunning graphics and witty captioning).

The place wasn't destroyed, much was eaten and rest sent off to the homeless, and nobody got naked.

Sadly, a good time was had by all. This means they'll want to do again now that they've a taste of life beyond the conference room with the King Soopers cake. :mad:

linda22003
12-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Our party went very well, but I'm sick now - too many parents of small children attended, I guess. :(