PDA

View Full Version : White House approves bailout for GM, Chrysler

Constitutionally Speaking
12-19-2008, 09:13 AM
WASHINGTON -- President Bush will announce this morning that he is awarding $13.4 billion in short-term loans to prevent General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC from collapse, offering loans with extremely strict conditions.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

BadCat
12-19-2008, 10:03 AM
WASHINGTON -- President Bush will announce this morning that he is awarding $13.4 billion in short-term loans to prevent General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC from collapse, offering loans with extremely strict conditions.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

What an idiot.
Thanks a lot President Bush.

marinejcksn
12-19-2008, 10:23 AM
To hell with the U.S. Constitution....King Bush knows the score! :mad:

Congress has to mandate this spending...that was one of the MOTHERBLEEPING conditions of the TARP bailout. Remember? But no, lets just bypass that little nugget of information. :rolleyes:

wilbur
12-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Oh goodie.

Who's next on the handout list?

Hawkgirl
12-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Someone have a shoe I can borrow?

lacarnut
12-19-2008, 01:24 PM
I don't like the bailout and am anti-union; the Feds playing Santa Claus to every large company that is poorly run is insane. The only way for the big 3 to survive is to go into bankruptcy. In 3 months, they will be back with their hand out for more more money. Next, poorly run states like CA and NY will heading to DC for their billions. Those of us that have saved will be looking at a devalued dollar because of these stupid bailouts; it looks like we are fast becoming a banana republic.

Read an interesting article about the Jap and German auto makers; they do not want the big 3 to go bankrupt or go out of business. It would severely cripple their ability to get parts from mfg.'s who supply both foreign and American car makers. They are afraid that the Chinese or the Indians would buy up the manufacturing plants of the big 3 if they went out of business and build cheap, crappy cars. Those Chinese death traps are on their way to the US in the next few years.

M21
12-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Those Chinese death traps are on their way to the US in the next few years.

And people will buy them up like all the other cheap crap that fills our homes. We seems quite happy to be putting each other out of work if it's saves our collective selfish and greedy asses a nickel.

AmPat
12-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Wouldn't the new, cheaper imports have to meet the same strict emissions and crash/safety tests? That would cut into the profit.

Goldwater
12-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Mmm, conservative.

Goldwater
12-19-2008, 09:35 PM
And people will buy them up like all the other cheap crap that fills our homes. We seems quite happy to be putting each other out of work if it's saves our collective selfish and greedy asses a nickel.

It's called self-interest, thats why we have free markets.

AmPat
12-19-2008, 11:37 PM
It's called self-interest, thats why we have free markets.

I'd be "interested" to see how our domestic automakers would fare if the import laws were exactly equal, the gov't lifted some of their burdensome requirements, etc. I'd bet Americans would respond to the equally good, yet cheap cars.

PoliCon
12-19-2008, 11:47 PM
I AM AGAINST BAIL OUTS ON SHEER PRINCIPLE - however . . . . I have finally found a reason to consider supporting a bail out of the auto industry. Socialized medicine.

lacarnut
12-20-2008, 12:19 AM
Wouldn't the new, cheaper imports have to meet the same strict emissions and crash/safety tests? That would cut into the profit.

That does not appear to true with the other crap they are selling in this country like dangerous toys, contaminated food and other crap. We owe them suckers so much money that we are in a bad bargain position. I find Obama's tough stance on trade a joke.