PDA

View Full Version : Stomach Flu!!!! Aiiiiiiieeeee!!!!!

jinxmchue
12-19-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm recovering from a nasty, nasty bout of stomach flu. It was fast-hitting and violent. Suppertime on Tuesday I was fine and, of course, I was at a Christmas party for work with pizza, punch and treats, so I ate and drank a lot. About an hour later, I started feeling funny - gassy and bloated. A few hours later - BOOM! Major evacuation time from both ends AT THE SAME TIME!!! I don't think I've ever had it from both ends at the same time before and I hope I never do again. The next 5 hours were pure agony and horror. Then I slept a lot and didn't want anything to do with food or drink.

Gingersnap
12-19-2008, 01:57 PM
You have my sympathy but you had food poisoning, not the flu. ;)

Jumpy
12-19-2008, 02:48 PM
It does sound like food poisoning. Anybody else get sick?

asdf2231
12-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Gah.

I hope you feel better soon.

I had that happen to me once and it was the worst second of my life trying to figure out what was going where. :o

jinxmchue
12-19-2008, 06:14 PM
You have my sympathy but you had food poisoning, not the flu. ;)

Nope. Stomach flu. Caught it from one of the residents I work with, who had it Sunday. Only a handful of people have gotten sick other than the resident: me and two others. One of the two was not at the party, but all three of us had exposure to the sick resident.

SaintLouieWoman
12-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Nope. Stomach flu. Caught it from one of the residents I work with, who had it Sunday. Only a handful of people have gotten sick other than the resident: me and two others. One of the two was not at the party, but all three of us had exposure to the sick resident.

Did you have the flu shot? Hope you're feeling better.

megimoo
12-19-2008, 11:57 PM
Gah.

I had that happen to me once and it was the worst second of my life trying to figure out what was going where. :oThe only solution to the uncertainty is to spend the night in the bathtub and shower after every attack !

jinxmchue
12-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Did you have the flu shot? Hope you're feeling better.

No, but it wouldn't have helped. The flu shot doesn't cover stomach flu.

jinxmchue
12-20-2008, 10:28 AM
The only solution to the uncertainty is to spend the night in the bathtub and shower after every attack !

I had a bucket with me every time I went to the bathroom that night and the morning after.

jinxmchue
12-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Anyone know how I can get my appetite back? I've been stuck on Rice Chex and toast since Wednesday. Even thinking about most everything else makes my stomach feel queasy.

FlaGator
12-20-2008, 12:47 PM

A doctor told me there was no such thing as stomach flu. Flu is based on a virus and viruses can't survive the digestive system. Bactrial infection... more than likely.

I've been their dude. I know how bad it sucks. Believe it or not, Coke Cola is good for settling your stomach and it might help you get your appetite back.

Jumpy
12-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Anyone know how I can get my appetite back? I've been stuck on Rice Chex and toast since Wednesday. Even thinking about most everything else makes my stomach feel queasy.

So how much weight have you lost? When I am sick, I always like the few lbs lost, but it still isnt worth the torture of being sick.

Ginger.. real ginger, is very good for digestion. Just shake some ground ginger into your water, or hot tea.

Gingersnap
12-20-2008, 09:11 PM
You don't have any appetite because the infection tore up your gut. This is Nature's way of telling you to give it a break for a while. When your insides are healed up enough to handle digestion, your appetite will come back.

jinxmchue
12-21-2008, 12:01 AM
So how much weight have you lost?

I haven't checked.

Ginger.. real ginger, is very good for digestion. Just shake some ground ginger into your water, or hot tea.

That's what I was thinking. If I'm not more improved tomorrow (ate a piece of pizza and a donut today!), I think I'll try that.

jinxmchue
12-21-2008, 12:03 AM
You don't have any appetite because the infection tore up your gut. This is Nature's way of telling you to give it a break for a while. When your insides are healed up enough to handle digestion, your appetite will come back.

Well, it sucks because my gut is telling me its hungry, too. Been cutting the pangs a bit with toast and cereal, but I can't wait until my balance is back and I can EAT.

cat714
12-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Believe it or not, Coke Cola is good for settling your stomach and it might help you get your appetite back.

I second the Coke Cola...it does help. My doctor has told me in the past to not try to go back to my regular eating habits right away. You might want to try eating broth (or chicken noodle soup) with crackers or toast. Some other foods to try: bananas, white rice, mashed potatoes, and applesauce.

jinxmchue
12-22-2008, 02:32 PM
My appetite seems to be back now. Ate soft tacos and corn at work last night and had Lloyd's Barbecue (pork) today for lunch. Still feel a little odd in the gut, but it's tolerable.

ralph wiggum
12-22-2008, 02:38 PM
My appetite seems to be back now. Ate soft tacos and corn at work last night and had Lloyd's Barbecue (pork) today for lunch. Still feel a little odd in the gut, but it's tolerable.

Glad to hear you're feeling better for Christmas, Jinx.

lacarnut
12-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Glad you are feeling better; next food party you attend, try not to be a piggy.

Zathras
12-22-2008, 03:36 PM

Or maybe a bottle of this...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7d/Domainedecanton.jpg/210px-Domainedecanton.jpg

Tastes just like the ginger you get with sushi, which I love.

jinxmchue
12-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Glad you are feeling better; next food party you attend, try not to be a piggy.

Hey! I didn't know I was going to blow chunks!

lacarnut
12-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Hey! I didn't know I was going to blow chunks!

I have gotten food poison off of bad seafood or the sauce. For 24 hours, I wanted to die.

jinxmchue
12-23-2008, 10:46 AM
I have gotten food poison off of bad seafood or the sauce. For 24 hours, I wanted to die.

I only wanted to die for the first 5 hours when I kept having to dash to the bathroom (up a flight of stairs, no less!) so my body could clear me out via both directions.

FlaGator
12-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I only wanted to die for the first 5 hours when I kept having to dash to the bathroom (up a flight of stairs, no less!) so my body could clear me out via both directions.

Sitting on the toilet with a bucket between one's legs... reminds me of college.