PDA

View Full Version : Potato ricer

SaintLouieWoman
12-21-2008, 05:56 PM
My sister was raving about the Martha Stuart potato ricer she got on sale at Macy's. I discovered the reason they marked it down from $24.99 to $7. The thing doesn't work. Perhaps it works if you're willing to take a lot of time to put in a few cubes of potato at a time that have been boiled in anticipation of mashed potatoes.

Last night I had decided to make home made mashed potatoes. I decided to use the new ricer that I just had to get (got the last one at Macy's yesterday and had to wait in line for a long time to check it out).

The thing was awful. It took forever and I only had done one potato. I just got out my old potato masher from my mom and did the whole pot in a few minutes.

The potato ricer is back in the car, waiting to be returned to Macy's.

Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I had peeled them (my sis said it worked better than trying to get the peels tghrough that ricer thing), had the potatoes soft and didn't overcrowd the little cup thing from the ricer.

I guess I just don't have the patience for a ricer. SR did seem to enjoy the taters. There were no leftovers. :D

SarasotaRepub
12-21-2008, 06:10 PM
True, the taters were very good without using some pansy "Ricer".:D

lurkalot
12-21-2008, 06:17 PM
first problem, you got a wimpy brand name gourmet ricer....mine is from my mom and is big enough to feed the crew! can throw in five pounds of boiled potatoes in this thing and crunch and you are done :)
mashed potatoes that are riced are way too dry....
ricer works when you are making things like potatoe pancakes, lefse, hashbrown cakes...or thickening a nice potato soup....

bijou
12-21-2008, 06:24 PM
first problem, you got a wimpy brand name gourmet ricer....mine is from my mom and is big enough to feed the crew! can throw in five pounds of boiled potatoes in this thing and crunch and you are done :)
mashed potatoes that are riced are way too dry....
ricer works when you are making things like potatoe pancakes, lefse, hashbrown cakes...or thickening a nice potato soup....
Lurky is right, you need a proper ricer not some celebrity chef flim flam. A sturdy ricer should be quite cheap to buy, I paid the equivalent of $10 for mine so you should be able to find one cheaper than that.

megimoo
12-21-2008, 07:11 PM
My sister was raving about the Martha Stuart potato ricer she got on sale at Macy's. I discovered the reason they marked it down from $24.99 to $7. The thing doesn't work. Perhaps it works if you're willing to take a lot of time to put in a few cubes of potato at a time that have been boiled in anticipation of mashed potatoes.

Last night I had decided to make home made mashed potatoes. I decided to use the new ricer that I just had to get (got the last one at Macy's yesterday and had to wait in line for a long time to check it out).

The thing was awful. It took forever and I only had done one potato. I just got out my old potato masher from my mom and did the whole pot in a few minutes.

The potato ricer is back in the car, waiting to be returned to Macy's.

Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I had peeled them (my sis said it worked better than trying to get the peels tghrough that ricer thing), had the potatoes soft and didn't overcrowd the little cup thing from the ricer.

I guess I just don't have the patience for a ricer. SR did seem to enjoy the taters. There were no leftovers. :DThe ricer just removes any lumps and tends to make the mashed spuds more creamy .It's a French 'thing' !

SaintLouieWoman
12-21-2008, 07:43 PM
The ricer just removes any lumps and tends to make the mashed spuds more creamy .It's a French 'thing' !
Geeze, it's definitely going back. My sister was raving about the stupid thing, but it's dinky and way overpriced, even at $7. I don't have anything else with the Martha brand.

I think I'll just stick with my mom's old hand masher. SR likes the mashed taters with some lumps and likes some of the skin left on.

I wondered how long it would take with that silly little couple of cup container. I find out. If I found one like Lurky's I'd probably actually use it.

PoliCon
12-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Only elitits use ricers. Real americans get out the mixer and beat the snot out of the potatoes to make them creamy smooth.

lurkalot
12-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Only elitits use ricers. Real americans get out the mixer and beat the snot out of the potatoes to make them creamy smooth.

its all fun and games until someone gets their tongue caught in the beaters :o

RobJohnson
12-22-2008, 01:13 AM
Geeze, it's definitely going back. My sister was raving about the stupid thing, but it's dinky and way overpriced, even at $7. I don't have anything else with the Martha brand.

I think I'll just stick with my mom's old hand masher. SR likes the mashed taters with some lumps and likes some of the skin left on.

I wondered how long it would take with that silly little couple of cup container. I find out. If I found one like Lurky's I'd probably actually use it.

Sounds like it was worth trying out, especially since you had heard good things about it. Too bad it ends up being a hassle in the long run.

Just get the frozen "real" mashed potatoes, some even have pieces of skin left in....SR will love them!

PoliCon
12-22-2008, 09:02 AM
its all fun and games until someone gets their tongue caught in the beaters :o just because you lick the beaters while they are still attached does not mean anyone else is going to do the same :p

Gingersnap
12-22-2008, 10:03 AM
I'd agree with some of others in this thread that riced potatoes are a different dish from mashed potatoes. I never use my ricer for mashed potatoes. It's good for some other things like potato breads or pancakes and I use mine for lefse, of course.

I had no idea they even made celebrity ricers. I got mine at a yard sale. :o

megimoo
12-22-2008, 01:21 PM
I'd agree with some of others in this thread that riced potatoes are a different dish from mashed potatoes. I never use my ricer for mashed potatoes. It's good for some other things like potato breads or pancakes and I use mine for lefse, of course.

A potato ricer is used to process food by forcing it through small holes, which are often not much larger than a grain of rice. Mashed potatoes are a food commonly made using this utensil. In technical terms, it works by a process of extrusion. A potato ricer can also be used to squeeze excess water from sliced or grated potatoes. This is useful to make crispy chips and hash browns.

At least three types exist. The simplest variety is little more than a grid on a handle. Food is processed against a flat surface or inside a container. Slightly more elaborate models resemble a very large garlic press. A rotary type, called a food mill also exists where the food is driven toward the grid by a large screw, similar to a meat grinder but without the rotary blade.

Potato ricers are used in the making of lefse (a Norwegian staple) and spätzle (German noodles), as well as for making homemade gnocchi (a type of Italian pasta).

PoliCon
12-22-2008, 11:15 PM
A potato ricer is used to process food by forcing it through small holes, which are often not much larger than a grain of rice. Mashed potatoes are a food commonly made using this utensil. In technical terms, it works by a process of extrusion. A potato ricer can also be used to squeeze excess water from sliced or grated potatoes. This is useful to make crispy chips and hash browns.

At least three types exist. The simplest variety is little more than a grid on a handle. Food is processed against a flat surface or inside a container. Slightly more elaborate models resemble a very large garlic press. A rotary type, called a food mill also exists where the food is driven toward the grid by a large screw, similar to a meat grinder but without the rotary blade.

Potato ricers are used in the making of lefse (a Norwegian staple) and spätzle (German noodles), as well as for making homemade gnocchi (a type of Italian pasta). and by elitists to make mashed potatoes.

lurkalot
12-23-2008, 12:22 AM

in the next case of butt rash cream you send my way, could you throw in a few bags of lefse? I hate making it but love eating it :D

linda22003
12-23-2008, 09:10 AM
My sister was raving about the Martha Stuart potato ricer she got on sale at Macy's.

Well, there's your problem. It was a cheap knockoff of the Martha Stewart brand. :)

Gingersnap
12-23-2008, 10:28 AM
in the next case of butt rash cream you send my way, could you throw in a few bags of lefse? I hate making it but love eating it :D

I'll see what I can do. I've made a ton of it this month. ;)

SaintLouieWoman
12-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Well, there's your problem. It was a cheap knockoff of the Martha Stewart brand. :)
No, it was the Martha Stewart brand---in her trademark little turquoise box, sold at Macy's. It just wasn't well made. Guess Martha is skimping on quality.