PDA

View Full Version : Chile, or a bowl of Texas Red

patriot45
12-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Ok, this is good chile. I've played with this for years and I found that the simplest way works the best. The ingredients are basically what you want in there. What I did was to use;
(feeds 20) lol!
5 onions diced
3 heads of garlic, minced
4 green peppers, dicedc
1 cup store chile powder
1 cup of assorted mexican chile powders
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup cumin
3 jalopenos, diced
2 habeneros, diced
1 Tbsp cayene pepper
1 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 Lbs boston butt cut up to bite size pieces
2 sirloin steaks, cut up into bite size pieces
1 LB ground pork
2 Lbs ground beef
1 Lg can crushed tomatos
1 Lg can of diced tomatos
2 bottles of beer
1 tomato can of water
1 cup masa flour mixed with 1 cup water

Here is almost everybody!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food/aaaa111chile002.jpg

To start, in a large pot saute all the peppers with the onions for about 10 minutes. add the garlic and cook till you can sniff it.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food/aaaa111chile005.jpg

Add The beer, tomatos and the rest of the stuff except the meat and the masa flour. Simmer on low.

Start browning the meat, season with S&P , as each batch is done add to the veggie pot and stir
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food/aaaa111chile006.jpg

After simmering for about 1 1/2 hours on low, add the flour/ water mixture, take off heat and stir, you are ready to eat.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food/aaaa111chile008.jpg

patriot45
12-21-2008, 10:43 PM
This is a must! Wash well after handling!!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food/aaaa111chile007.jpg

And this is a no-no, beans bad!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food/aaaa111chile011.jpg

Time to eat!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food/aaaa111chile010.jpg

Bubba Dawg
12-21-2008, 10:48 PM
Okay.

This is how you become a Legend.

As if you didn't already know that.

Great recipe. Not just good. Great....

I am, officially, in awe of you.....

Nice.....

Phillygirl
12-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Oh my god, that looks awesome!!

Gingersnap
12-22-2008, 02:01 PM
You had me until the tomato part. Real chili doesn't need any stinkin' tomatoes (or beans, naturally). ;)

megimoo
12-22-2008, 02:42 PM
You had me until the tomato part. Real chili doesn't need any stinkin' tomatoes (or beans, naturally). ;)Real Chili is Texas style made with dried beef and peppers without beans . Chuck waggons didn't carry canned tomatoes or beans .Chili peppers and beef is all they used in the trail style grub .

patriot45
12-22-2008, 03:19 PM
You had me until the tomato part. Real chili doesn't need any stinkin' tomatoes (or beans, naturally). ;)

Might not need it, but it sure tasted good! Its all gone! :D

gator
12-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Yankee boi you failed again.

Too many ingredients.

You don't put goddam "Great Northern" beans in Chilli. If you are going to put in beans it should be pinto beans or Mexican Pink beans.

Too many peppers will ruin the taste and you sure as hell don't put in bell peppers. Eating chilli should not be punishment and making it hot is for the insecure in order to mask the tase of their hambuger stew.

Nobody puts paprika in Chilli. If you are compelled by ignorance to do so then use at least use smoked paprika.

Real chilli is made from cheap beef and does not include friggin hamburger. A little pork is OK.

You had nothing in it to mellow the taste of the acid in the tomatoes or the raw taste of the chiles.

This is the kind of pathetic chilli a New Yorker would make after watching a cowboy movie. He would then invite his friends over and they would tell him how good it was because they wouldn't know any better.

The first recorded chilli recipe was in Florida. The goddamn Texans make a claim to chilli but it was being eaten in Florida hundreds of years before there was even a Texas.

Because I am a peach of a guy if you admit that you failed I will give you the real recipie for chilli so you can do better next time.

megimoo
12-22-2008, 04:51 PM

Too many ingredients.

You don't put goddam "Great Northern" beans in Chilli. If you are going to put in beans it should be pinto beans or Mexican Pink beans.

Too many peppers will ruin the taste and you sure as hell don't put in bell peppers. Eating chilli should not be punishment and making it hot is for the insecure in order to mask the tase of their hambuger stew.

Nobody puts paprika in Chilli. If you are compelled by ignorance to do so then use at least use smoked paprika.

Real chilli is made from cheap beef and does not include friggin hamburger. A little pork is OK.

You had nothing in it to mellow the taste of the acid in the tomatoes or the raw taste of the chiles.

This is the kind of pathetic chilli a New Yorker would make after watching a cowboy movie. He would then invite his friends over and they would tell him how good it was because they wouldn't know any better.

The first recorded chilli recipe was in Florida. The goddamn Texans make a claim to chilli but it was being eaten in Florida hundreds of years before there was even a Texas.

Because I am a peach of a guy if you admit that you failed I will give you the real recipie for chilli so you can do better next time.They didn't have anything worth eating in Florida except fish and crabs before the Armadillos arrived .
No beef or pork until the Spanish showed up and wrecked a few ships and the pigs swam ashore.And where in hell did you Floridians get a hold of any real peppers before the Spanish showed up .

Rebel Yell
12-22-2008, 04:53 PM

Too many ingredients.

Because I am a peach of a guy if you admit that you failed I will give you the real recipie for chilli so you can do better next time.

Welcome back, old fart.:D

gator
12-22-2008, 04:56 PM
They didn't have anything worth eating in Florida except fish and crabs before the Armadillos arrived .
No beef or pork until the Spanish showed up and wrecked a few ships and the pigs swam ashore.And where in hell did you Floridians get a hold of any real peppers before the Spanish showed up .

Texans don't know near as much about chili as they think they know.

A dish with beef and chilies was eaten in Florida long before there was even a Texas. The Spanish developed the dish in St Augustine and there are historical records that have the recipe. There is a good history of this in the Library at the University of Florida if anybody wants to do the research.

Later on the Spaniards spread the dish to present day Mexico and then later into the Southwest, including Texas. The Texans claim that it is their dish but it is typical Texas bullshit. The Texans even write histories of chili claiming it came from Texas but that is just because they never did the research of the dish in Florida.

When I hear a Texan making claims about knowing about chili I just laugh at the pathetic attempt. They are no better at defining real chili than the people from Ohio with their “Cincinnati” chili.

gator
12-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Welcome back, old fart.:D

I am not back. I will go on my way shortly. I just don't like it when I see a New Yawker posting chili recipes so I felt compelled to say something. It makes my skin crawl, know what I mean?

Gingersnap
12-22-2008, 05:05 PM
I am not back. I will go on my way shortly. I just don't like it when I see a New Yawker posting chili recipes so I felt compelled to say something. It makes my skin crawl, know what I mean?

Leave your recipe first. I hope it doesn't include any tomatoes. :D

patriot45
12-22-2008, 05:54 PM

Too many ingredients.

Paprika is red, enuf said!

Bull - pork butt and sirloin steak is very tender and tasty! The ground meat was for texture!

I added all the diced up chiles as I was sauteeing the sweet onions and mild bell peppers, smooths it out perfectly!

I read over a dozen award winning Texas chili recipes and just did it the way I felt was good, there was none left over! Thats how I know it was good.:D

When I make it to take to the rifle range, I will call it a bowl of Florida red!!! :cool:

I showed the cans of beans so you would know not to put them in the chili. Tomatos are just fine in there, the law clearly states - no beans.

This was so good it makes you want to slap your momma!!:D
Hahahahahah!

gator
12-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Leave your recipe first. I hope it doesn't include any tomatoes. :D

Chili

About 3 lbs of beef cut up into thumb sized pieces.

1 lb of ground pork.

4-5 cups of beef broth.

2 cloves of crushed garlic.

2-3 bay leaves

2-3 tbls of cumin

3-4 tbls of good quality chili powder.

1 1/2 cup of chopped sweet onions.

One can of beer.

1 large can of crushed tomatoes. (crush fresh vine ripe tomatoes if available)

Mexican oregano.

½ cup of apricot preserves.

Corn meal and mesa flour.

Brown the pork in a skillet.

Put the beef on a hot grill to shear and brown the meat. Just keep it on long enough to sear but not to cook through.

Put the beef in a pot and cover with the beef stock. At the garlic and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and then simmer for a couple of hours until the meat is tender. Add the pork the last half hour or so.

Add the cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, beer and oregano and cook for another hour or so uncovered. Add water as necessary. Add pinto beans or pink beans if you want.

Add the apricot preserves about a half hour before completion. The apricot preserves give a subtle background sweetness and takes away the raw taste. You can use almost any kind of preserve or jelly but apricot or peach seems to be the mellowest flavor.

Make a wet paste of one part corn meal and two parts flour. Use this to tighten up the chili.

Add any hotness you want after the chili is cooked. Cayenne pepper or hot sauce to taste. Salt to taste.

I have screwed around with many chili recipes over the years and this recipe gives the best consistently good result.

Bubba Dawg
12-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Chili

About 3 lbs of beef cut up into thumb sized pieces.

1 lb of ground pork.

4-5 cups of beef broth.

2 cloves of crushed garlic.

2-3 bay leaves

2-3 tbls of cumin

3-4 tbls of good quality chili powder.

1 1/2 cup of chopped sweet onions.

One can of beer.

1 large can of crushed tomatoes. (crush fresh vine ripe tomatoes if available)

Mexican oregano.

½ cup of apricot preserves.

Corn meal and mesa flour.

Brown the pork in a skillet.

Put the beef on a hot grill to shear and brown the meat. Just keep it on long enough to sear but not to cook through.

Put the beef in a pot and cover with the beef stock. At the garlic and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and then simmer for a couple of hours until the meat is tender. Add the pork the last half hour or so.

Add the cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, beer and oregano and cook for another hour or so uncovered. Add water as necessary. Add pinto beans or pink beans if you want.

Add the apricot preserves about a half hour before completion. The apricot preserves give a subtle background sweetness and takes away the raw taste. You can use almost any kind of preserve or jelly but apricot or peach seems to be the mellowest flavor.

Make a wet paste of one part corn meal and two parts flour. Use this to tighten up the chili.

Add any hotness you want after the chili is cooked. Cayenne pepper or hot sauce to taste. Salt to taste.

I have screwed around with many chili recipes over the years and this recipe gives the best consistently good result.

Okay, I am totally surprised by the apricot preserves. Never even thought of it.

Sounds interesting.

Gingersnap
12-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Tomatoes! Apricot preserves! Where did you people learn to make chili? San Francisco?

Great chili needs beef (not ground beef) onions, garlic, chilies, cumin, masa (can fake with cornmeal), beef broth (from your beef), and pepper. Beer is optional but always welcome. Chili needs to cook slowly. It improves with a reheat (or several).

It should not be dangerously hot from the chilies. You should not have to fear your own chili.

Chili is eaten with beer or milk and tortillas or sourdough bread.

Things chili does not need: tomatoes, corn, apricot preserves, bouquet garni, ground meat, pork, flour, hot sauce, soup crackers, non-onion family veggies, paprika, beans, or pasta (the horror!).

Shredded cheese is acceptable in individual bowls of chili. It better be cheddar cheese, though.

Mr. Snaps forces me to make that Midwestern chili from time to time. It looks like something the dog threw up. He adores it. :rolleyes:

patriot45
12-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Oh man, apricots in a chili!?! Seems kinda gay to me! My chile puts hair on your chest!

Bubba Dawg
12-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Tomatoes! Apricot preserves! Where did you people learn to make chili? San Francisco?

Great chili needs beef (not ground beef) onions, garlic, chilies, cumin, masa (can fake with cornmeal), beef broth (from your beef), and pepper. Beer is optional but always welcome. Chili needs to cook slowly. It improves with a reheat (or several).

It should not be dangerously hot from the chilies. You should not have to fear your own chili.

Chili is eaten with beer or milk and tortillas or sourdough bread.

Things chili does not need: tomatoes, corn, apricot preserves, bouquet garni, ground meat, pork, flour, hot sauce, soup crackers, non-onion family veggies, paprika, beans, or pasta (the horror!).

Shredded cheese is acceptable in individual bowls of chili. It better be cheddar cheese, though.

Mr. Snaps forces me to make that Midwestern chili from time to time. It looks like something the dog threw up. He adores it. :rolleyes:

Chili over spaghetti is great. Cincinnati style. With grated cheddar and fresh onions.

Nice.

And it definitely needs crushed tomatoes.

People out west make lousy chili and even worse bar-b-que. :p

Gingersnap
12-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Chili over spaghetti is great. Cincinnati style. With grated cheddar and fresh onions.

Nice.

And it definitely needs crushed tomatoes.

People out west make lousy chili and even worse bar-b-que. :p

This from a man who wears the XY version of Spanx. Publicly.

Face it: you will never look good in shapewear and you will never make a decent pot of chili. A man has to know his limitations.

Bubba Dawg
12-22-2008, 08:37 PM
This from a man who wears the XY version of Spanx. Publicly.

Face it: you will never look good in shapewear and you will never make a decent pot of chili. A man has to know his limitations.

Ha! Even Flamers east of the Mississippi make better chili.

Why the hell did I say that?

Anyway, when it comes to Bar-B-Que and savory stews, Southerners Rule. Like the first rule of Bar-B-Que: Bar-B-Que = Pork.

The folks out west had potential, because so many of them came from the South-land. But you cats lost it when you stopped feedin' brisket to the coyotes and started eating it.

That was the point of no return.

Troll
12-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Chili without beans? Isn't that just beef stew? :confused:

If you're not farting pure evil at the end of dinner, you didn't eat chili. What's next - a bunch of beef barbecue recipes? With mayonnaise-less coleslaw on the side? People, I ask you. :rolleyes:

Bubba Dawg
12-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Chili without beans? Isn't that just beef stew? :confused:

If you're not farting pure evil at the end of dinner, you didn't eat chili. What's next - a bunch of beef barbecue recipes? With mayonnaise-less coleslaw on the side? People, I ask you. :rolleyes:

I actually sometimes make it with red kidney beans. The resulting emissions are paint-peeling to the max. :D

gator
12-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Oh man, apricots in a chili!?! Seems kinda gay to me! My chile puts hair on your chest!

Raw chili needs some kind of backgound sweetness to make it good and mellow. Over the years I have tried brown sugar, white sugar and other sweeteners. I even tried using very ripe mango. Using peach or apricot jelly/preserves creates the best subtle sweetness. There is no apricot taste to the chili. You just get a background smoothness that turns OK chili into great chili.

Since you New Yawkers don't know what great chili is supposed to taste like you wouldn't understand.

Instead of questioning my advice you should be thanking me for the enlightment.

Phillygirl
12-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Chili requires 3 things: meat, tomatoes, and beans (preferably red kidney beans). Anything else is extra. Geeze people. I'm sure the meat mixture you all make tastes good (even with the added fruit :rolleyes:) but it's not chili.

Gingersnap
12-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Raw chili needs some kind of backgound sweetness to make it good and mellow. Over the years I have tried brown sugar, white sugar and other sweeteners. I even tried using very ripe mango.

This is so wrong but expected from a guy who probably grew up drinking sweet tea. You people invented Ambrosia - worse yet, you thought it was good.

Chili does not need any mellowing ingredients. Slow cooking and proper chili prep takes care of any harsh or biting overtones. If your prep makes you add sugar to the final stage to mute the chilies - you're doing it wrong.

But you knew that. :D

RobJohnson
12-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Raw chili needs some kind of backgound sweetness to make it good and mellow. Over the years I have tried brown sugar, white sugar and other sweeteners. I even tried using very ripe mango. Using peach or apricot jelly/preserves creates the best subtle sweetness. There is no apricot taste to the chili. You just get a background smoothness that turns OK chili into great chili.

Since you New Yawkers don't know what great chili is supposed to taste like you wouldn't understand.

Instead of questioning my advice you should be thanking me for the enlightment.

I add this to the chili for that background sweetness:

http://www.wish-bone.com/images/dressings/1436.jpg

RobJohnson
12-28-2008, 01:10 AM
Chili over rice is good.

Diced potatoes in chili is even better! :)

Bubba Dawg
12-28-2008, 06:27 AM
Chili over rice is good. Usually I eat it over rice or spaghetti.

I like to use crushed and diced tomatoes in my chili, and I use less bell pepper and add diced celery to the mix.

linda22003
12-28-2008, 07:24 AM

I'm even worse; I add cinnamon and cumin. Loooove that Cincinnati style.

Bubba Dawg
12-28-2008, 07:41 AM
I'm even worse; I add cinnamon and cumin. Loooove that Cincinnati style.

I use Cumin. Cinnamon kinda creeps me out..:p:D

linda22003
12-28-2008, 07:44 AM
It doesn't make it too sweet, if you're not heavy handed with it. And the Vietnamese cinnamon has some real bite to it - like those little "red hot" candies.

Bubba Dawg
12-28-2008, 12:57 PM
It doesn't make it too sweet, if you're not heavy handed with it. And the Vietnamese cinnamon has some real bite to it - like those little "red hot" candies.

Neat. I can see where it would have a good background flavor adding to the complexity of tastes.

RobJohnson
12-29-2008, 12:21 AM
I have never followed a written recipe for chili.

In high school, I did write down my recipe for the chili I made for my family. A small mom and pop diner in IL is still serving it, the owners were neighbors of ours.

I doubt that I even make chili the same way twice any more, that is half the fun.