PDA

View Full Version : Caravan not viewed nicely by people who actually know Honduras

Banacek
11-04-2018, 02:55 PM
When the dust settles on the Honduran migrant caravan and the analyses are out, one of the things that will take the biggest beating is the soggy sob-story manipulative press coverage for what is clearly a complex issue. Yes, dishonest press coverage should take the cake. Why report facts objectively when it's so much easier to tug on the heartstrings and portray the migrants as just moms with toddlers, all fleeing violence and just looking for a better life?

And with news organizations employing virtually no foreign correspondents these days, who's going to find out? Just follow the lefty narrative about the migrants, everyone, and let us Get Trump. Right?

Wrong. This is also the era of first-person reporting and Internet instant transmission, so a little bit of the reality is getting out, and it's not pretty for the caravan. I have read several accounts from people who actually know Honduras and what is going on with the migrant caravan, and it's not what the press is saying. Two accounts stand out.

First, a former longtime Honduran consul general in Arizona, Tony Banegas, was interviewed by ABC15 (this is a real good station with a strong report-the-news ethic that has interviewed American Thinker contributors with firsthand experiences in the past) for perspectives on the caravan.

What Banegas said was not flattering.

A diplomat, he expressed pity for the migrants, not because they were poor, but because they being used by the political left, which he delicately characterized as "the opposition party."

"I know my country well, so I support a lot of projects, water projects, health projects, education projects, garbage trucks in my hometown," he says. "Things are much better in Honduras, we're not the most violent country in the world anymore."

While conditions are improving he says, the unemployment rate is near 20 percent and 60 percent of the population live in poverty. The migrants joining the caravans are the poorest of the poor, he says, looking for a better life with nothing left to lose. But, he says these people are being exploited by their home countries. Being promised something in America they can't achieve.

"There have been documented cases where the opposition party from the government right now are trying to support and encourage these people even with money to come," he said.

What's more, he said they were being "exploited" because they weren't going to succeed here in the states, they simply didn't have the education or skills. Left unsaid, but obvious enough, they were being exploited by the left here, too, either as a means of expanding social services bureaucracies, adding to the warm-body count for districts that justify congressional seats, or serving as actual votes for Democrats. Someone here wants them here, and who cares if they can't make it here and are going to be grossly disappointed?

Interesting read

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/11/caravan_not_viewed_nicely_by_people_who_actually_k now_honduras.html

Old n Grumpy
11-04-2018, 06:57 PM
This whole thing is a set up by the left to further divide and destroy our country and heratidge.