PDA

View Full Version : Miserable day today

gator
06-19-2008, 07:56 PM
The day started off with great hope of going shooting. However, the weather near the range was terrible so I scrubbed the trip after looking at the radar.

Whats-her-name had to do some business so that left the cat and me alone at home so both of us curled up the sofa and took a late morning nap whiled it rained. So far so good. Life is sweet.

Then whats-her-name came home and wanted to go buy new carpeting for the house. That is when things started to go to hell in a hand basket.

I spent most of the afternoon standing around and answering stupid questions like “is this color OK for the computer room”? How in the hell should I know and no matter what answer I gave she still got what the hell she wanted anyhow. It cost me several thousand dollars and now I have to empty the bookcases and do other hard work before the carpet installers get there. Worst yet is that I had to put up with a sickening salesman who I swear is a regular on “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy”. Life is starting to really suck now.

Worst is that I have to get out all my ammo and stuff from the gun room. At least I am getting OD Green carpeting for the room. Of course now I have to paint it and move an 800 lb gun safe.

Why can’t women just leave things alone?

Phillygirl
06-19-2008, 08:00 PM
The day started off with great hope of going shooting. However, the weather near the range was terrible so I scrubbed the trip after looking at the radar.

Whats-her-name had to do some business so that left the cat and me alone at home so both of us curled up the sofa and took a late morning nap whiled it rained. So far so good. Life is sweet.

Then whats-her-name came home and wanted to go buy new carpeting for the house. That is when things started to go to hell in a hand basket.

I spent most of the afternoon standing around and answering stupid questions like “is this color OK for the computer room”? How in the hell should I know and no matter what answer I gave she still got what the hell she wanted anyhow. It cost me several thousand dollars and now I have to empty the bookcases and do other hard work before the carpet installers get there. Worst yet is that I had to put up with a sickening salesman who I swear is a regular on “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy”. Life is starting to really suck now.

Worst is that I have to get out all my ammo and stuff from the gun room. At least I am getting OD Green carpeting for the room. Of course now I have to paint it and move an 800 lb gun safe.

We can. We just choose not to. It gives us something to laugh with our friends about.

MrsSmith
06-19-2008, 08:06 PM
If we left things alone, the gun room would be carpeted with greasy rags and dirty socks.

BSR
06-19-2008, 08:40 PM

Did you have to hold her purse again? :D

BSR
06-19-2008, 08:41 PM
If we left things alone, the gun room would be carpeted with greasy rags and dirty socks.

That, me lady, is called a "man cave" and should never be touched by female hands. It shouldn't even be gazed upon by the opposite sex.

Jumpy
06-19-2008, 09:10 PM
ooooh ooohhh.. so what type of carpet did you get? Details! I like this stuff. If you made decisions in just ONE shopping day, then whatsername actually did pretty good.

gator
06-19-2008, 09:37 PM
ooooh ooohhh.. so what type of carpet did you get? Details! I like this stuff. If you made decisions in just ONE shopping day, then whatsername actually did pretty good.

I don't really know what kind. It is a good grade but not the real expensive kind. With no kids at home and no dog we didn't feel it was necessary to get the top of the line. Besides, we will sell the house when the market picks up anyhow. On sale and with a discount is was about $8.00 a square foot.

namvet
06-19-2008, 09:44 PM

because if it aint broke they fix it...............I went thru this same nightmare !!!!!

Bubba Dawg
06-19-2008, 10:23 PM
I really just miss the boat decorating. I nod. Agree with my wife. And we pay for it.

Carpet? Whatever.

And what are 'pillow shams?'

Jumpy
06-19-2008, 10:28 PM
I don't really know what kind. It is a good grade but not the real expensive kind. With no kids at home and no dog we didn't feel it was necessary to get the top of the line. Besides, we will sell the house when the market picks up anyhow. On sale and with a discount is was about $8.00 a square foot.
Pretty funny.. how you describe the carpet based on price. I bet whatsername would be able to tell me the style, color, and texture, including the padding underneathe, and price wouldnt even be mentioned.

BSR
06-19-2008, 10:37 PM

Geez, what kind of carpet costs $8 a square foot? Is it silk and gold? I just paid for upper end carpet and it only cost me 4.50 a square foot. :eek:

Jumpy
06-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Geez, what kind of carpet costs $8 a square foot? Is it silk and gold? I just paid for upper end carpet and it only cost me 4.50 a square foot. :eek:

Carpet used to only be sold in the square yardage. Installation and padding too... installation is still figured on square yardage, not square feet.

I think they went to square footage to confuse the customer who was price comparing from store to store, and make it seem cheaper. And now most people shop in square footage with carpet. I still bill in yards.

I recently installed wool carpet throughout a bazillionaires house, that mustve cost about $50. a sq. yard. Not sure what the sq. footage comes out to though, and I am too lazy to think about it.

SarasotaRepub
06-19-2008, 10:54 PM
Did Mrs Gator also drag you to Bed Bath & Beyond to finish you off???:p:D

Ha Ha!! You have to now do what we just got finished doing!!!

SaintLouieWoman
06-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Pretty funny.. how you describe the carpet based on price. I bet whatsername would be able to tell me the style, color, and texture, including the padding underneathe, and price wouldnt even be mentioned.
You've got that right. We just had carpet put in about 10 days ago. It was a Stainguard, had a 20 year warranty, padding was the higher grade with the plastic liner.

We bought it the same day we started looking. Problem was that I forgot what it looked like. It was a real surprise when it came. I'm getting used to it now and like it.

Gator, feel for you with the bookcases. I had to get everything out of 2 bookcases in the computer room and out of an antique armoire that I use as a dresser in the bedroom. It took almost a whole day to move all that junk in 3 rooms. The carpet installers moved the heavy stuff.

Can't even think about moving that gun case. That sounds like work for the professionals.

SaintLouieWoman
06-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Carpet used to only be sold in the square yardage. Installation and padding too... installation is still figured on square yardage, not square feet.

I think they went to square footage to confuse the customer who was price comparing from store to store, and make it seem cheaper. And now most people shop in square footage with carpet. I still bill in yards.

I recently installed wool carpet throughout a bazillionaires house, that mustve cost about $50. a sq. yard. Not sure what the sq. footage comes out to though, and I am too lazy to think about it.
Is that the place with the white carpet and the huge garage/showroom? Were you able to take pics?

Jumpy
06-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Is that the place with the white carpet and the huge garage/showroom? Were you able to take pics?

That is the place! I did not take pics yet, but I am sure that the stairs from the one garage level, to the next will be getting carpet, so somebody will be back. Hopefully me. I wanted to wait to take pics until the garage flooring was "poured", or whatever it is they do to put down that speckled rubberish flooring that you sometimes see in garages.

SaintLouieWoman
06-20-2008, 09:59 PM
That is the place! I did not take pics yet, but I am sure that the stairs from the one garage level, to the next will be getting carpet, so somebody will be back. Hopefully me. I wanted to wait to take pics until the garage flooring was "poured", or whatever it is they do to put down that speckled rubberish flooring that you sometimes see in garages.

Looking forward to seeing those pics. Still awed by the white carpet. I'm just glad we got the speckled stuff. It passed the test. They came in with muddy paws and you couldn't see the mud (could barely see it anyway and just brushed it off with my hand after it dried). I now love those stupid speckles in it. :D

We don't live a white carpet existence.

megimoo
06-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Pretty funny.. how you describe the carpet based on price. I bet whatsername would be able to tell me the style, color, and texture, including the padding underneathe, and price wouldnt even be mentioned.Think in terms of 'Cost Effectiveness'. It's the 'Engineer' in him !

Constitutionally Speaking
06-21-2008, 08:22 AM

Did this story end up at Bed Bath and Beyond???

MrsSmith
06-22-2008, 02:01 PM
That, me lady, is called a "man cave" and should never be touched by female hands. It shouldn't even be gazed upon by the opposite sex.

The gun room? :rolleyes: Whatever. Mr Smith is a wicked good shot, but the guns are MINE. :p

gator
06-22-2008, 03:08 PM
This story got worse yesterday.

We are getting the whole house recarpeted including the back two bedrooms. One of the bedrooms is a guest bedroom and the other one is my gun room.

When I went in I picked out the color of carpet for the gun room. It was a nice shade of subdued green. A close approximation to OD. Very acceptable for a gun room. She picked out another color for the guest bedroom.

The little sissy boi from the shop called whatshername up on Saturday and said the color for the guest bedroom was not available so she had to come in and pick another color. By the time she got out of there she got the same color for both bedrooms. It has an aqua marine tint to it goddamn it!!!!

Her reasoning; “Maybe we want to sell the house one day, it will look better”.

My gun room will now look like a project from “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy” which is probably what the sissy salesman wanted all along.

Life is really starting to suck. It is clear I don’t have control of my household anymore.

megimoo
06-22-2008, 03:23 PM

We are getting the whole house recarpeted including the back two bedrooms. One of the bedrooms is a guest bedroom and the other one is my gun room.

When I went in I picked out the color of carpet for the gun room. It was a nice shade of subdued green. A close approximation to OD. Very acceptable for a gun room. She picked out another color for the guest bedroom.

The little sissy boi from the shop called whatshername up on Saturday and said the color for the guest bedroom was not available so she had to come in and pick another color. By the time she got out of there she got the same color for both bedrooms. It has an aqua marine tint to it goddamn it!!!!

My gun room will now look like a project from “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy” which is probably what the sissy salesman wanted all along.

Life is really starting to suck. It is clear I don’t have control of my household anymore.The good news is they may select your gun room for their next production of 'Queer Eye' if its 'gay' enough !

lacarnut
06-22-2008, 04:14 PM

Life is really starting to suck. It is clear I don’t have control of my household anymore.

Call the sissy up and tell him you want the orginal color ordered or go back to the store, pick another brand of carpet with approximately the same color. Should not be a big deal to get what your want.

gator
06-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Call the sissy up and tell him you want the orginal color ordered or go back to the store, pick another brand of carpet with approximately the same color. Should not be a big deal to get what your want.

You don't understand. I have been cut out of the loop between whatshername and the sissy boi. I have no say so in the matter. Like I said, I have lost control of my household.

I will be sitting in a gun room with aqua marine carpet. :mad:

Sonnabend
06-22-2008, 06:40 PM
I will be sitting in a gun room with aqua marine carpet.

Feeling "blue", are we , Gator?

http://tools.digeratimarketing.co.uk/content/lb/smile/happy/happy0045.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)

megimoo
06-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Feeling "blue", are we , Gator?

http://tools.digeratimarketing.co.uk/content/lb/smile/happy/happy0045.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)Thats right kick when he's down !

Sonnabend
06-22-2008, 07:31 PM
http://tools.digeratimarketing.co.uk/content/lb/smile/evilgrin/evilgrin0041.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)

SaintLouieWoman
06-22-2008, 10:00 PM

Could be because you call her "whatshername". That doesn't go over well with the ladies, Gator. :p

Jumpy
06-22-2008, 10:05 PM

omigod.. It was a struggle to make it through that whiny post. Get the same color for everything.. otherwise it looks like a friggen patchwork quilt. If you dont have a hardwood flooring hallway or something to break the carpeting up, just go with the same thing thruout.

SaintLouieWoman
06-22-2008, 10:10 PM
omigod.. It was a struggle to make it through that whiny post. Get the same color for everything.. otherwise it looks like a friggen patchwork quilt. If you dont have a hardwood flooring hallway or something to break the carpeting up, just go with the same thing thruout.

Good advice, Jumpy. A house across the street was on the market a year. A rehabber who bought a fixer-upper a block away told the owners it wasn't selling because in this market, people want things perfect. They had different color hardwood and various colors carpet throughout the house. He said at the entrance, people need to see continuity.

He should listen to the carpet expert---you. :D BTW, is aquamarine a hot color now? Or maybe it is in Florida. Here we're still into boring beige.

Jumpy
06-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Good advice, Jumpy. A house across the street was on the market a year. A rehabber who bought a fixer-upper a block away told the owners it wasn't selling because in this market, people want things perfect. They had different color hardwood and various colors carpet throughout the house. He said at the entrance, people need to see continuity.

He should listen to the carpet expert---you. :D BTW, is aquamarine a hot color now? Or maybe it is in Florida. Here we're still into boring beige.
I am going to say that no,in my 15or so years of installing, I have never ran across a carpet color that is labeled aquamarine. But maybe it is just a southern thing?? If it is a teal color, then yes, that is very nice. Cripes, the folks who label carpet colors come up with 50 thousand different names for "tan". The same could probably be said about blue/green, which sounds like the color that he is referring to.

My area is still into earth tones.. even chocolate browns.. olive greens..earthy moss colors, etc. Everything is neutral these days.

SarasotaRepub
06-22-2008, 10:24 PM
OMG!!!!

http://shop.marinecarpetusa.com/images/image145.JPEG

YIKES!!!!! :eek:

SaintLouieWoman
06-22-2008, 10:26 PM
I am going to say that no,in my 15or so years of installing, I have never ran across a carpet color that is labeled aquamarine. But maybe it is just a southern thing?? If it is a teal color, then yes, that is very nice. Cripes, the folks who label carpet colors come up with 50 thousand different names for "tan". The same could probably be said about blue/green, which sounds like the color that he is referring to.

My area is still into earth tones.. even chocolate browns.. olive greens..earthy moss colors, etc. Everything is neutral these days.

Yeah, our color was "sandpiper". It's a light beige with all those little flecks. It actually does look sort of like a beach. But it blends right in with the hardwood and pergo. Maybe I'm just getting used to it. :D

SarasotaRepub
06-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Or maybe it's this!!!

http://www.completelyflooring.co.uk/images/special_loop_aqua_200.jpg

:D

Jumpy
06-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Or maybe it's this!!!

http://www.completelyflooring.co.uk/images/special_loop_aqua_200.jpg

:D

ha!!! You are having fun with this, eh? Actually, in the right surroundings, the color would be nice. Like, in a beach house, or a nautical type room.

SarasotaRepub
06-22-2008, 10:38 PM
ha!!! You are having fun with this, eh? Actually, in the right surroundings, the color would be nice. Like, in a beach house, or a nautical type room.

LOL!! Yeah I'm just busting him. :D

You're right about a beach house. In the latest issue of Sarasota Magazine they had a writeup on a beach house that had a lot of blue in it. In fact, the owner put in a blue/white granite for the counter tops that was very weird looking but hey, it's the owners money.

SaintLouieWoman
06-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Maybe he'll have a nautical theme in the gun room. The decorator might come over and reinvent the room. :D

Jumpy
06-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Maybe he'll have a nautical theme in the gun room. The decorator might come over and reinvent the room. :D

Whatsername lets him have a gun room??? I thought that room was called "garage".

SaintLouieWoman
06-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Whatsername lets him have a gun room??? I thought that room was called "garage".

:D:D Very good, Jumpy.

lacarnut
06-23-2008, 12:12 AM
You don't understand. I have been cut out of the loop between whatshername and the sissy boi. I have no say so in the matter. Like I said, I have lost control of my household.

You need to exert your authority over the household. Are you a man or a mouse? BTW, green and that aquamarine looks like a wet dream!

Odysseus
06-23-2008, 09:45 PM

Why do I have the feeling that this is going to lead to a bell tower and a bunch of your neighbors telling the evening news about how quiet you used to be?

SarasotaRepub
06-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Why do I have the feeling that this is going to lead to a bell tower and a bunch of your neighbors telling the evening news about how quiet you used to be?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Snort!1! :D