View Full Version : Gov't goes behind parent's back to help boy become girl

11-08-2018, 06:51 PM
Three 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals judges are considering a case in which government officials facilitated sex-change treatments for a minor child against the parent’s specific instructions.

Anmarie Calgaro filed suit in November 2016 after her then-minor son underwent sex-change treatment with the aid of the St. Louis County School District, St. Louis County, Fairview Health Services and Park Nicollet Health Services.

At the trial level, Judge Paul Magnuson agreed her parental rights, which remained “intact” at the time, were violated. But he dismissed the case, determining school officials and social workers did not infringe on her constitutional rights.

Calgaro’s lawsuit was heard recently before the appeals court in the case of J.D.K., who was 17 at the time. A lawyer for St. Louis County blamed a worker’s error and denied county liability. The health services organization’s attorney insisted the agency acted properly.

The boy was told by a lawyer with Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid that he was emancipated from his parents’ authority and could pursue sex-change surgery without their permission or even informing them.

Calgaro is represented by the Thomas More Society, and special counsel Erick Kaardal has called her ordeal “a parent’s worst nightmare.”

I can't speak for any other state but in Connecticut - People can file emancipation petitions in the juvenile or probate court where the child or either parent or guardian lives. Petitions must be signed under oath (verified) and include (1) the facts that bring the child within the court's jurisdiction; (2) his name, date of birth, sex, and address; (3) parents' or guardian's names and addresses; and (4) the petitioner's name and relationship to the child.

Post-petition procedures differ slightly depending on whether the filing is in a probate or juvenile court. By law, probate courts must hold a hearing within 30 days of receiving an emancipation petition. Judges must (1) ask the Department of Children and Families (DCF) to investigate, but they may waive this when they find cause to do so and (2) appoint a lawyer to represent the child. If they find that reasonable cause warrants it, they may also appoint a doctor or mental health professional to examine the child. They may do this at any time in the proceeding on their own authority or if any party requests it. Probate judges may also order the examination of a parent or guardian when there is a dispute about his mental competency or ability to care for the child.


Read more at https://www.wnd.com/2018/11/govt-goes-behind-parents-back-to-help-boy-become-girl/#F8uQLu7qIzmGIueo.99

11-09-2018, 10:09 AM
If he was 17 and made it this far, he could wait another year (or less) and sign his own damn consent. He was trying probably to get his parents to pay for it.