PDA

View Full Version : People With Down Syndrome Apply for ‘Endangered Species’ Protection

Banacek
11-11-2018, 03:21 PM
The Canadian Down Syndrome Society (CDSS) is applying to the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) to have people with Down Syndrome added to its list of endangered species—which would make them the first humans on the list.

Animals designated as endangered receive added protection and resources, and advocates for those with Down syndrome, seeing the numbers shrink as US birth projections fell 30 percent, are asking for more support and visibility. The CDSS estimates there are 45,000 Canadians with Down syndrome.

“People with Down syndrome face far more challenges than most of us, and they need more support than they’re getting,” said CDSS board chair Laura LaChance. “Whether it’s underfunded support programs for education, higher rates of unemployment, extended waitlists for appropriate housing, or even just negative public perception and stigma, the challenges faced by people with Down syndrome aren’t decreasing—they’re increasing.”

Trudeau counts as 5.

https://www.brandchannel.com/2018/11/08/down-syndrome-endangered-species-protection/

Dan D. Doty
11-11-2018, 04:40 PM
Reducing people to the status of animals; stupid, sick and wrong.

SVPete
11-11-2018, 05:13 PM
Abortion.

movie buff
11-13-2018, 07:48 AM
As someone with disabilities myself who was mistreated a lot for them in the past and now works in an ESE class, I have nothing but sympathy for those with special needs.
However, this seems wrong, and in fact like something that could be MUCH more harmful than beneficial for them.
People with disabilities are NOT a separate species, to label them as such by trying to have them deemed an "Endangered species" could lead to some particularly cruel people seeing them as less than human.
Could they use more support and care? Absolutely.
However, surely there are other, less demeaning ways that those things could be provided for them.

noonwitch
11-13-2018, 02:29 PM
The first child abuse case in the US to be prosecuted was prior to the creation of CPS. The Children's Aid Society had a child declared an animal, as there were laws at the time to protect animals from abuse, but not children. I don't have the dates, but I think it was early 1900s. We learned about it in social work classes.

This is different, though. Most people want to prevent birth defects/disabilities. If people avoid having children because they think they are at high risk of having a Down's baby, is that wrong? I'm not referring to aborting a fetus with Down's, I mean people who recognize risk factors or genetic predispositions and choose not to have children.