PDA

View Full Version : Are you doing what you love?

Phillygirl
12-23-2008, 10:15 PM
I was watching something on t.v. last night (okay...it was Paula Dean, but still) and the topic came up about finding a job doing something that you are passionate about. I realized that, much as there are times that I hate my job and I wish I had enough money in the bank to just stop doing it, I really never could. I have loved the law since I was about 10 years old. I still get a "high" out of being in court. I still really like what I do. Perhaps not every moment of every day. But there are more good days than bad. And I'm still enjoy it, even when it's not pay day (but that's fun too!).

How about you? Are you doing what you really want to do?

FlaGator
12-23-2008, 10:22 PM
I was watching something on t.v. last night (okay...it was Paula Dean, but still) and the topic came up about finding a job doing something that you are passionate about. I realized that, much as there are times that I hate my job and I wish I had enough money in the bank to just stop doing it, I really never could. I have loved the law since I was about 10 years old. I still get a "high" out of being in court. I still really like what I do. Perhaps not every moment of every day. But there are more good days than bad. And I'm still enjoy it, even when it's not pay day (but that's fun too!).

I love what I do for a living. I became a computer programmer and systems analyst without the benfit of college or traditional schooling. I taught myself how to program and I've be earning a living at it for the last 20 years. I guess I'm one of those people who had an aptitude for understanding and writing computer code. The Lord has blessed me with several gifts but this has been the best. I never dislike going to work for work's sake and I generally don't mind working late. Some one once said that if you find a job you like you'll never have to work a day in your life. I believe that is a very true statement.

patriot45
12-23-2008, 10:25 PM
True! I started as a cabinet makers apprentice, then became a cabinet maker, now I own my own shop and I can't fathom doing anything different!

Funny part is I have only done 2 things in my life for work. When I was 14, I worked at a gas station and learned to be a mechanic ( back then cars had motors) But when I was 17 and making a whopping 4 bucs an hour fixin cars a buddy asked me to help him build a set of cabinets on the side. I was hooked and here I am 35 yrs later happy as a clam!!

Bubba Dawg
12-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Good question.

Yes and no would be my answer. When I was 16 I quit school and went to work, out of economic necessity due to the circumstances of my family. About 10 years later, I started going to night classes at a small Baptist college in the mountains where I live. Through a combination of night and day school, and thanks to the support of my sweet wife, I was able to graduate from the University of North Florida with a Ba degree in 1991 (I was 31.). I wanted to do graduate studies but that was interrupted when I Had to leave school when my father became disabled. I haven't been able to get back to my studies, and don't know if I ever will.

The thing is, getting a masters, and eventually a doctorate was my goal and my dream. I don't honestly know if I'll ever get ti go back and finish what I started.

So, the answer to your question is no. The work I am doing is only minimally rewarding in a personal sense. It pays the bills but that is about it. I am also having significant enough health problems that I can't afford to lose my health insurance to go back and resume my studies.

The answer to your question is also, yes. I study on my own. I write. I travel. Amongst my many needs and obligations, I enjoy my life. Actually, I am blessed to have a good family, a comfortable home, a good job, and lots of interests to occupy my time. And many cats and dogs to boot.

I am wealthy beyond all measure, compared to so many in the world. There have been disappointments, such is the stuff of life, but Life is Good. I am thankful for what i have. And yes, I love what I do.

megimoo
12-23-2008, 10:38 PM
True! I started as a cabinet makers apprentice, then became a cabinet maker, now I own my own shop and I can't fathom doing anything different!

Funny part is I have only done 2 things in my life for work. When I was 14, I worked at a gas station and learned to be a mechanic ( back then cars had motors) But when I was 17 and making a whopping 4 bucs an hour fixin cars a buddy asked me to help him build a set of cabinets on the side. I was hooked and here I am 35 yrs later happy as a clam!!Have you ever built stand alone China cabnetry with ornate carvings and custom trim out of exotic woods built up from blanks of hardwood ,Esentially furnature as opposed to cabinets ?

megimoo
12-23-2008, 10:44 PM
I love what I do for a living. I became a computer programmer and systems analyst without the benfit of college or traditional schooling. I taught myself how to program and I've be earning a living at it for the last 20 years. I guess I'm one of those people who had an aptitude for understanding and writing computer code. The Lord has blessed me with several gifts but this has been the best. I never dislike going to work for work's sake and I generally don't mind working late. Some one once said that if you find a job you like you'll never have to work a day in your life. I believe that is a very true statement.What languages are you proficient in or what do you write in most often.I have much the same background learning programming as an expedient to hardware design.

patriot45
12-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Have you ever built stand alone China cabnitry with ornate carvings and custom trim out of exotic woods built up from blanks of hardwood ,Esentially furnature as opposed to cabinets ?

Actually, no. I am in it for the money! Production is what counts, the more the moneyier. (Linda #s is that a word?)

We do some quality work but nothing that resembles craftmanship of old. The best stuff I do for myself!

Phillygirl
12-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Actually, no. I am in it for the money! Production is what counts, the more the moneyier. (Linda #s is that a word?)

We do some quality work but nothing that resembles craftmanship of old. The best stuff I do for myself!

I was thinking how jealous of your wife I was when I read what you do. I'll be she has some killer cabinetry in your home!

Gingersnap
12-23-2008, 11:03 PM
I would say Yes and No. I work in an area that has a direct and sometimes dramatic impact on human, animal, and plant life in my region. I have seen pollution reduction levels that are frankly astonishing (and never reported in the media). These reductions are a direct result of my group's work on modeling and monitoring over time. We do the science and make the cases that force politicians to support sensible efforts to curb or monitor vehicle emissions, open burning, wildfires, and point source contributors. That's pretty amazing and satisfying.

At the same time, there was never a time when I was 10 years old and said to myself that I wanted to grow up and do QA on continuous ozone monitors or pitch independent lab costs on particulate samples.

I am not my career. I basically got into chemistry in order to blow things up or poison things. Neither option is allowed in my workplace. :(

:D

patriot45
12-23-2008, 11:07 PM
I was thinking how jealous of your wife I was when I read what you do. I'll be she has some killer cabinetry in your home!

Custom made TV stand, one of a kind! My design. The room wasn't finished yet, its neater now.:o

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/furniture003.jpg

This is better.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/aaaaroom018.jpg

megimoo
12-23-2008, 11:43 PM
I would say Yes and No. I work in an area that has a direct and sometimes dramatic impact on human, animal, and plant life in my region. I have seen pollution reduction levels that are frankly astonishing (and never reported in the media). These reductions are a direct result of my group's work on modeling and monitoring over time. We do the science and make the cases that force politicians to support sensible efforts to curb or monitor vehicle emissions, open burning, wildfires, and point source contributors. That's pretty amazing and satisfying.

At the same time, there was never a time when I was 10 years old and said to myself that I wanted to grow up and do QA on continuous ozone monitors or pitch independent lab costs on particulate samples.

I am not my career. I basically got into chemistry in order to blow things up or poison things. Neither option is allowed in my workplace. :(

Most of the engineering people I've worked with have a history of bomb building .One destroyed his family's boathouse with a home made fuel/air bomb.Another designed rocket bursting changes and by extention got into the field of high altitude pyrotechnics displays.The fascination with explosions is rather overpowering for the junion scientist.My interest in bursting changes grew out of a fascination with catalytic chemical reactions and rocket propulsion .One of my displays disturbed the peace and tranquility of several nearby towns well past the midnight hour .In my youth I had a fondness for delayed explosions late at night that would wake the whole town and cast suspicions on several of us.If I were young today I would no doubt be locked up as a terrorist bomb builder.I never got into the torture of dismemberment of small animals .

RobJohnson
12-24-2008, 01:55 AM
I love what I do.

FlaGator
12-24-2008, 08:09 AM
What languages are you proficient in or what do you write in most often.I have much the same background learning programming as an expedient to hardware design.

I program in C, C++, C#, Java, 8086 Assembler and various flavors of SQL. The core of my job use to be data modeling and database management/data processing but lately I've returned to my roots and have been doing systems level programming as well as GUI design and construction. I also do web design using html, php and javascript. A web site that I designed and maintain is www.stpetersjax.org (my sig is messed up but this will take you to the real site). I have become a fan of C# and Visual Studio over the last year and a half. We have written 3 applications at Bank of America using C# and the development went very quickly.

linda22003
12-24-2008, 08:09 AM

I think you "coined" the term. :p Oh, I crack myself up sometimes.

marinejcksn
12-24-2008, 08:55 AM
I love what I do. Well, I'm in Logistics and Embarkation so I don't always love what I do. During unit moves when I'm doing embarkation, building pallets and loading gear into aircraft & on the ships I'm happy as a pig in slop. The rest of the time, when I'm doing logistics, requesting vehicle support and chow and all the other garbage my unit thinks it needs, I'm not too happy. :p

But I'm moving up quickly in rank, (E-5 looking at E-6 by my 7 year mark) so gradually I'll put up with less and less bs, so that's always good! :D

FlaGator
12-24-2008, 09:16 AM
This is interesting. Most of them seem to enjoy what we do for a living. I wonder (and I suspect I know the answer) what the responses would be if this question was posted on DU. Maybe this is a fundamental difference between libs and conservatives. They hate what they do or working in general, so they get wrapped up in intangibles in order to gain some sense of involvement and accomplishment.

Space Gravy
12-24-2008, 10:02 AM
I like what I do. Love is too strong a word for me. I can't really think of anything I'd "love" to do.

BadCat
12-24-2008, 10:28 AM
I design and build computer systems that kill people.

OF COURSE I LOVE IT!

M21
12-24-2008, 12:29 PM
I don't love what I do but I recognize that it is essential to many other people and is important in the big scheme of things so there is a great job satisfaction. I'm doing something now that is important for my country.

I intend to be doing what I love in a year or two after my third retirement. That will be teaching downhill skiing in the winter and whitewater kayaking in the summer.

megimoo
12-24-2008, 01:04 PM
I think you "coined" the term. :p Oh, I crack myself up sometimes.It doesn't take much !

Speedy
12-24-2008, 02:56 PM
But I'm moving up quickly in rank, (E-5 looking at E-6 by my 7 year mark) so gradually I'll put up with less and less bs, so that's always good! :D

You slacker! I made E-5 in less than three years and E-6 in 5 1/2. :D

I am switching careers in the coming year. On jan. 12 I start a nursing program here at a local nursing home. Both my daughters from my first marriage are RNs. My oldest one had a headstart after her time in the Army as a medic. Her sister just graduated last May. They are both working in the same hospital but Jazz, the veteran is a trauma nurse. She says that over half the members of her team are former Military medics or doctors.

Dad is going to join them.

RobJohnson
12-25-2008, 12:53 AM

I am switching careers in the coming year. On jan. 12 I start a nursing program here at a local nursing home. Both my daughters from my first marriage are RNs. My oldest one had a headstart after her time in the Army as a medic. Her sister just graduated last May. They are both working in the same hospital but Jazz, the veteran is a trauma nurse. She says that over half the members of her team are former Military medics or doctors.

Cool!

marinejcksn
12-25-2008, 02:20 AM

Nice. :D

I nearly made E-6 this year which would've put me at Staff Sergeant in 6 years but I just missed it. It's pretty quick to make Staff in 6-7 years in the Marine Corps, I'm told. It's all an on-ramp to my officer career, hopefully! I plan to put in my Warrant Officer package next year. :cool:

megimoo
12-25-2008, 06:58 AM

I made E6 in 3 1/2 !

FlaGator
12-25-2008, 09:53 AM
That's just GR8.

Speedy
12-25-2008, 01:44 PM
I made E6 in 3 1/2 !

DAMN! I went through the E-6 board at 4 but did not hit the cutoff until 5 1/2.

lurkalot
12-25-2008, 01:52 PM
My job beats the hell out of the rest of yours :D
I can hold the hands of a woman who is 104 years old, the hands that rocked the babies that went off and fought in the wars to keep this country free. Hands that built the cities and roads and houses across this country. I can hear the memories of times long gone and lost to the dust of time except when passed on to me! I can hear laughter and see smiles simply by dressing up like Richard Simmons and doing aerobics and know I have brightened the days of not only the elders to whom we owe so much but the ones who have devoted their lives to caring for our elders.
I can give a lecture and influence the people who in turn influence others that directly affects the day to day lives of others.
I am given the Honor of the responsibility of the life, well being and daily care of someone's most precious gift, their parents, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, loved ones. I am given the trust of the family that I will love and care for their loves ones as surely as if they are my own.

Jack Ryan
12-26-2008, 02:58 PM

I have just got to answer this one!!!

I have had 4 careers but no jobs.

My first career was as a carpenter helping to build houses and I learned all kinds of stuff that I used later on. The only times it was a 'job' was when the temperature got over 100 or less than 10 since it was an outside job. 2 years

My second career was in intelligence in the USAF. A career that I still miss to this day 40 some years later. The only bad part of that career was the remote deployments. 7 years

My third career was a computer technician back in the old time days. I pretty much sucked at that career. I was good with the electronic equipment but not so good with the mechanical. 3 years

My fourth career was where my talent seemed to lie. It was in computer systems support and software development. 35 years.

I am now on my fifth career and it is a job. Retirement is boring as hell. I would almost, but not quite, work for free.

BSR
12-26-2008, 10:45 PM
No. I am not doing what I love, but I make a great salary so it evens out. I realize money isn't everything, but it's close.

signalsgt
12-27-2008, 08:07 AM
I like what I do as a network administrator in civilian life. I loved it when I was deployed to Kuwait(Reservist) as a network admin.

I want to either go back to active duty in this area (Networks, not SW Asia) or get a job with Mythbusters.

I would love doing either.

M21
12-27-2008, 02:18 PM
We'll I managed to make E-5 twice and still make it to the top of the enlisted food chain. It was much easier to make it the second time. ;)

That was back in the day when you could get away with such things.