PDA

View Full Version : Calling SVPete

Elspeth
11-16-2018, 09:55 PM
The internet is known for fake memes, but I wonder what you think of this?

https://i.imgur.com/7RgAt3Z.jpg

SVPete
11-17-2018, 11:27 AM
:lol: :rotfl: Whoever created that meme is pretty ignorant of California geography. :rotfl: :lol:

So lets wade into some details. Ahnold's & Brown's Folly eventually would go from San Diego (2nd phase) up to LA, into the eastern side of the Central Valley, and split near Merced. The first phase of the split would go over to San Jose and north on the Peninsula to SF. The second phase of the split would continue northward to Sacto.

So all those fires in Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties are not along the route of The Folly. And the fires in the counties north of Sacto are not along the route of The Folly. The worst of all the fires, the Camp Fire (named, IIRC, for Camp Creek - those gold prospectors were creative in their geographic naming) is something like a hundred miles north of Sacto.

I'm in a good mood, so I'l just say the meme is kpete-grade lame (she probably supports The Folly, but this meme has the kind of ignorance the ones she likes usually have).

ETA: This time of year has been "fire season" in those areas for centuries before any kind of rail system had been envisioned.

FlaGator
11-17-2018, 11:38 AM
Has Governor Brown broken out the fiddle yet?

Elspeth
11-17-2018, 05:50 PM
:lol: :rotfl: Whoever created that meme is pretty ignorant of California geography. :rotfl: :lol:

So lets wade into some details. Ahnold's & Brown's Folly eventually would go from San Diego (2nd phase) up to LA, into the eastern side of the Central Valley, and split near Merced. The first phase of the split would go over to San Jose and north on the Peninsula to SF. The second phase of the split would continue northward to Sacto.

So all those fires in Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties are not along the route of The Folly. And the fires in the counties north of Sacto are not along the route of The Folly. The worst of all the fires, the Camp Fire (named, IIRC, for Camp Creek - those gold prospectors were creative in their geographic naming) is something like a hundred miles north of Sacto.

I'm in a good mood, so I'l just say the meme is kpete-grade lame (she probably supports The Folly, but this meme has the kind of ignorance the ones she likes usually have).

ETA: This time of year has been "fire season" in those areas for centuries before any kind of rail system had been envisioned.

Thanks for the debunk. The San Diego portion is clear to me but I am not so versed on NorCal. I wanted to say something about it but didn't have enough info. I may borrow your entire post if that's ok.