PDA

View Full Version : Pope denounces ‘din of rich few’ on World Day of Poor

Banacek
11-20-2018, 04:42 PM
Pope Francis railed against social inequality Sunday, lamenting “the din of the rich few” drowning out the voice of the needy, as he marked the second “World Day of the Poor”.

At a mass attended by about 6,000 poor people at St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome, the pope noted that “injustice is the perverse root of poverty”.

“The cry of the poor daily becomes stronger but heard less, drowned out by the din of the rich few, who grow ever fewer and more rich,” he said ahead of a lunch at the Vatican for 1,500 destitute people and their helpers.

“Let us ask for the grace to hear the cry of all those tossed by the waves of life,” the pope said.

“It is the cry of all those forced to flee their homes and native land for an uncertain future. It is the cry of entire peoples, deprived even of the great natural resources at their disposal… while the wealthy few feast on what, in justice, belongs to all

At least he's not hiding his true communist agenda

https://www.breitbart.com/news/pope-denounces-din-of-rich-few-on-world-day-of-poor/

SarasotaRepub
11-20-2018, 05:05 PM
Aaaaah...the Catholic church isn't exactly
poor. Maybe the Pope could dig into the papal
War Chest and help???:rolleyes:

Rockntractor
11-20-2018, 05:13 PM
Aaaaah...the Catholic church isn't exactly
poor. Maybe the Pope could dig into the papal
War Chest and help???:rolleyes:
Yep, I bet he never made a late payment on the Popemobile and I bet it has electric windows and sunroof!

NJCardFan
11-20-2018, 05:49 PM
One of several reasons why I left the Catholic Church(the priest sex abuse scandal being the main reason), the blatant hypocrisy when it comes to money makes me sick. They guilt you into basically giving up everything you have to help the poor all the while having one of the richest banks in the world. Vatican City is about the size of a parking lot yet it has one of the largest economies in the world. And don't get me started on the posh lodgings of this pope who I consider to be the False Prophet mentioned in Revelations.

SVPete
11-20-2018, 08:12 PM
Francis should study his Bible more and "Liberation Theology" less. I have a couple of suggestions:

2 “Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong. When you give testimony in a lawsuit, do not pervert justice by siding with the crowd, 3 and do not show favoritism to a poor person in a lawsuit. (Exodus 23)

15 “ ‘Do not pervert justice; do not show partiality to the poor or favoritism to the great, but judge your neighbor fairly. (Leviticus 19)

Being wealthy and being impoverished have their unique temptations:

Wealthy - hoarding, indulgence

Impoverished - envy

Greed, selfishness and fraud are temptations for both, merely expressed differently. Failure to trust God is also a differently expressed common temptation.

FlaGator
11-20-2018, 08:26 PM
The Pope walks a fine line when addressing poverty. The Old Testament fathers were wealthy and the Apostolic fathers were dirt poor. They both were as good intended them to be. The Apostolic fathers chose a life of poverty as a living lesson in trusting God for sustenance. The Catholic church abandoned this ideology is allowed to exist in splendor while pretending that its leadership is poor when in fact they exist due to the wealth of the Catholic Church. Now the Church does do a lot to help the poor and those on the margins of society but with their money, they could do more. I am reminded of this

Mark 12:41-44 English Standard Version (ESV)
The Widow's Offering
41 And he sat down opposite the treasury and watched the people putting money into the offering box. Many rich people put in large sums. 42 And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which make a penny.[a] 43 And he called his disciples to him and said to them, “Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box. 44 For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.”

I think the Pope should consider this as he berates the wealthy and excuses the Church.

FourWinds
11-20-2018, 08:28 PM
That's real funny coming from a man that wears finery, sits on a throne and lives in a walled city policed by what amounts to a private army.

Rockntractor
11-20-2018, 09:11 PM
That's real funny coming from a man that wears finery, sits on a throne and lives in a walled city policed by what amounts to a private army. he lives in a tiny city surrounded by young mooselimb male imigrants, what could possibly go wrong?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Lanie
11-21-2018, 09:57 AM
There's nothing wrong with helping the poor. That doesn't mean be communist.

I can think of bigger issues that I have with the pope right now starting with "Wait until February to make decisions about the scandal."

SVPete
11-21-2018, 10:52 AM
There's nothing wrong with helping the poor. That doesn't mean be communist.

I can think of bigger issues that I have with the pope right now starting with "Wait until February to make decisions about the scandal."

Maybe MSM reports are significantly incomplete or seriously misrepresenting things he's doing and said - a very real possibility - but it sounds like Francis is handling the sex-abuse-by-priests mess worse than badly.

Whether from Jesus or Moses, instruction to be charitable and generous in so doing are to individuals, not to governments. But almost invariably liberal Protestant and many Catholic (mis)leaders advocate for government social programs as the charity Jesus commanded.

NJCardFan
11-21-2018, 02:16 PM
Maybe MSM reports are significantly incomplete or seriously misrepresenting things he's doing and said - a very real possibility - but it sounds like Francis is handling the sex-abuse-by-priests mess worse than badly.

Whether from Jesus or Moses, instruction to be charitable and generous in so doing are to individuals, not to governments. But almost invariably liberal Protestant and many Catholic (mis)leaders advocate for government social programs as the charity Jesus commanded.

Yeah. I don't think Jesus advocated for the Romans to take care of the poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lanie
11-21-2018, 02:47 PM

So, why should it only be to individuals? That's not even biblical IMO.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+4%3A32-35&version=NIV

32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had. 33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all 34 that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales 35 and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need.

I don't have time to look it up right now, but I believe when churches ran the government that they often used money they collected to help the poor.

This idea of everybody for themselves and you deserve what you get started with Adam Smith and the invisible hand. In comparison to the church, that ideology is a baby.

As for the pope and the RCC, I'm pretty sure they're provoking God's wrath. I think of Israel and how they were God's people, but God did step in when they didn't straighten up. Why would this be different?

Rockntractor
11-21-2018, 03:07 PM
So, why should it only be to individuals? That's not even biblical IMO.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+4%3A32-35&version=NIV

I don't have time to look it up right now, but I believe when churches ran the government that they often used money they collected to help the poor.

This idea of everybody for themselves and you deserve what you get started with Adam Smith and the invisible hand. In comparison to the church, that ideology is a baby.

As for the pope and the RCC, I'm pretty sure they're provoking God's wrath. I think of Israel and how they were God's people, but God did step in when they didn't straighten up. Why would this be different?
I see your point Lanie but her's the Thing.
https://i.imgur.com/sgL5rYt.jpg

SVPete
11-21-2018, 03:38 PM
So, why should it only be to individuals? That's not even biblical IMO. 1

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+4%3A32-35&version=NIV 2

I don't have time to look it up right now, but I believe when churches ran the government that they often used money they collected to help the poor. 3

This idea of everybody for themselves and you deserve what you get started with Adam Smith and the invisible hand. 4 In comparison to the church, that ideology is a baby.

1 If you check Jesus' commands in the Gospels and Moses' command in the Law, you'll find the commands are addressed to individual believers and Israelites, not to government. So my post is quite Biblically accurate.

2 If you read Acts 4 and 5 you'll find it was wealthier individuals voluntarily selling properties and the proceeds being distributed to needy members of the church. Not government, not coerced (through taxation), not distributed among the entire population of Jerusalem. Further, if you read and reflect on chapters 2 and 3 you'll realize that individuals' voluntary charity was a temporary response to the hundreds or thousands of new believers whose homes and jobs/professions/businesses were hundreds or thousands of miles away. Not the permanent day to day life of the First Century church. When there were needs believers responded, voluntarily (e.g. the generosity of Greek/Macedonian churches mentioned by Paul in regard to the multi-year drought/famine in Judea).

3 Where/when did the First Century church run any civil government? Christianity wasn't even officially tolerated by the Romans until the Fourth Century.

4 Why are you "responding" to something I never said? Putting it nicely, that is not honest.

Banacek
11-21-2018, 05:48 PM
Lanie, The article quotes the Pope as saying while the wealthy few feast on what, in justice,
belongs to all.”

To me this means what is yours should be mine. It doesn't say help the "poor"and even those not so poor. It implies that the only reason the "poor" don't have something is the "rich" take wealth and consciously prevent from rising from poverty. .

At a minimum he is promoting jealousy.. I thought jealously was a sin. I thought the commandment "Thou shall not covet thy neighbors wife" was not meant literally but as a way of living ones everyday life.

Further, to my mind, this portion of the above quoted statement in justice is saying that the "poor" have the right to demand and even take someone's wealth forcibly.

The Communist Manifesto says something to the same effect. Capitalism constantly exploits the "poor". and accumulates wealth However, the "poor" will sense their own potential and rise to power through revolution. (forcibly taking from the "rich")

Do you remember Obumo's statement "You didn't build that"