PDA

View Full Version : Report: Boy Scouts of America May File for Bankruptcy

Banacek
12-13-2018, 03:55 PM
The Boy Scouts of America are considering filing for bankruptcy, according to a report released Wednesday.

The Wall Street Journal states leadership of the youth organization, mired in sexual misconduct litigation, hired the law firm Sidley Austin LLP to explore a wide range of options, including petitioning for relief under Chapter 11.

On Wednesday, Boy Scouts CEO Michael B. Surbaugh released a statement in response to the Journal‘s report, saying, “We are working with experts to explore all options available to ensure that the local and national programming of the Boy Scout of America continues uninterrupted.”

“As you all know, we have always taken care of victims we believe them, we believe in fairly compensating them and we have paid for unlimited counseling, by a provider of their choice, regardless of the amount of time that has passed since an instance of abuse,” Surbaugh added.

Legal experts note filing for bankruptcy would “stave off” at least 140 lawsuits filed against the organization alleging misconduct by scoutmasters.

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2018/12/13/boy-scouts-america-considering-ch-11/

SVPete
12-13-2018, 04:44 PM
How weird! Allowing gay Scouts and Gay adult leaders didn't reverse BSA'a membership losses? Maybe accelerated them, with the LDS Church bailing on BSA? As said so often on Instapundit, "Get woke, go broke."

noonwitch
12-13-2018, 04:56 PM
How weird! Allowing gay Scouts and Gay adult leaders didn't reverse BSA'a membership losses? Maybe accelerated them, with the LDS Church bailing on BSA? As said so often on Instapundit, "Get woke, go broke."

Yet Girl Scouts is still running strong, and they have had gay leaders since I was in scouts-one of my leaders in the mid-70s was an openly gay woman. Of course, women are far less likely to sexually abuse children, whether they are gay or straight, then men are.

Rockntractor
12-13-2018, 08:59 PM
Yet Girl Scouts is still running strong, and they have had gay leaders since I was in scouts-one of my leaders in the mid-70s was an openly gay woman. Of course, women are far less likely to sexually abuse children, whether they are gay or straight, then men are.
Who needs the boy scouts anyway, it is far more important that we have equality and fairness.
There are plenty of gangs and recreational drugs to keep boys busy.

noonwitch
12-14-2018, 10:37 AM
Who needs the boy scouts anyway, it is far more important that we have equality and fairness.
There are plenty of gangs and recreational drugs to keep boys busy.

Participation in scouting in general is down over the decades from the 50s-70s. They make kids put down their cell phones to participate, so kids don't want to be in scouting.

SVPete
12-14-2018, 10:57 AM
Participation in scouting in general is down over the decades from the 50s-70s. They make kids put down their cell phones to participate, so kids don't want to be in scouting.

More recently BSA declined from 2.6M members to 2.3M, from 2013 to the present. I'm not sure that includes the impact of the probably ongoing withdrawal of the LDS Church from Scouting. The troop in which my son and many of his buddies earned Eagle rank changed over to Trail Life USA in 2013 - a founding member troop - when BSA decided to accept gay boys as members (the decision to accept gay adult leaders came in 2015, IIRC). My son's troop had an emphasis on hiking ... not much cell reception in parks they hiked, then or now.

FlaGator
12-14-2018, 11:50 AM
The BSA could have nipped this in the bud years ago if they policed their leaders better and prosecuted those who were feeling up little boys (which kind of explains why the homosexuals wanted to join the scouts). They ended up running off all the heterosexual boys so they had to replace them with girls. Now the homosexuals are disappointed but the lesbians are investigating the opportunity to be Den Mothers.

SVPete
12-14-2018, 01:39 PM
There were major sex abuse scandals in Scouting and Boys Clubs back in the 1970s. BSA was not only a legal target in the Clinton years, but again came under general scrutiny. Five or ten years of painful housecleaning in either time frame could have made the current situation much less likely or prevented it.

DumbAss Tanker
12-14-2018, 05:09 PM
It's really more about putting a lid on the legal sharkfest than the real decay, I think. The slide into androgyny and PC culturisation is a more longterm problem.