PDA

View Full Version : California Democrat Proposes ‘Right to Shelter’ for Every Homeless Person in State

Banacek
12-13-2018, 03:59 PM
California State Sen. Scott Wiener (D-San Francisco) has introduced a bill that would guarantee a “right to shelter” and provide housing for every homeless person in the state.

The bill, SB 48, declares: “This bill would state the intent of the Legislature to enact legislation that creates a right to shelter for unhoused residents throughout the state.”

According to the bill, the “right to shelter” would include:

(1) A safe place to sleep and keep one’s belongings.

(2) An ability to access the shelter without having to sign up on a daily basis.

(3) An ability to remain with one’s partner.

(4) An ability to access services necessary to stabilize one’s life and transition into supportive housing or permanent housing, including mental health, addiction treatment, and other services.

However, the bill does not explain how the state will pay for the cost of providing the “right to shelter.”

A minor detail to work out later.

https://www.breitbart.com/social-justice/2018/12/12/california-democrat-proposes-right-to-shelter-for-every-homeless-person-in-state/

noonwitch
12-13-2018, 04:18 PM
Here's the complication with #3. Many shelters are run by Christian charities. For obvious reasons, single adults are not usually housed in the same shelters as families with kids. If the parents of the kids are living together, but are not married, the shelter usually makes one parent go to a single's shelter. And if there aren't any kids, the woman goes to a women's shelter and the men go to a men's shelter. I don't think that the state has the right to force a charity to violate their religious beliefs to that degree. It sounds to me like CA wants to force shelters to take unmarried and gay couples, married or not. And if the shelter is run by the state of CA, great, do it. But if it's a shelter run by a private charity, especially a religious charity, they'd be over-stepping.

Although I do support some rules that ensure the protection of the resident's personal belongings. Some SA family shelters allow the families to lock their rooms when they are not there. If it's a single people's shelter, they should have some secure lockers or something that people can use to protect their personal property while they are there.

Most shelters do work with people to find permanent housing-either they provide the service, or they refer them to a Section 8 program. They also refer them for mental health and addiction treatment. If the programs in MI can figure this out, I would think that the people in a wealthier state like CA could do so much more for their people. :rolleyes:

Tecate
12-13-2018, 04:26 PM
It’s bad here in Austin where unemployment is practically zero. I see tent cities hidden in plain view. The only thing hiding them are the concrete barricades at major intersections. The city has counted them and interviewed them. It’s about 2500 people. I see the same people sleeping under the same overpass and panhandleing at the same intersections every single day.

Rockntractor
12-13-2018, 04:27 PM
Put them on a plane and send them to Hawaii. Not long ago Hawaii was giving free one-way plane tickets to the homeless to go to the state of their preference.

Old n Grumpy
12-13-2018, 04:45 PM
The politicians can start by taking in some of them, then letting the rest sleep in their ofices and government buildings. Then empty out the hospitals and let them live there. Then tax every worker 15% to give to the homeless so they don't have to be demeaned by pan handling.

Tecate
12-13-2018, 04:54 PM
In no way am I being flippant. If they gave all of the money they’ve spent “worrying” about the homeless, they would all be millionaires instead of sleeping under an overpass.

SVPete
12-13-2018, 06:29 PM
Maybe they should use schools. It's not like they're educating most kids anyway.

Why didn't Wiener prototype this bit of genius when he was a County Stuporvisor in SF?

What government subsidizes it gets more of.

Dlr Pyro
12-13-2018, 07:22 PM
and provide housing for every homeless person in the state.
since california is a sanctuary state, I assume this includes the hordes of illegal aliens the state democrats have welcomed in with open arms and expect me to pay for it.