PDA

View Full Version : A black man tried to cash his paycheck.

Retread
12-20-2018, 10:27 AM
Musta been a proggie bank....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/12/18/black-man-tried-cash-his-paycheck-bank-called-cops/?noredirect=on

McCowns did not return a message requesting comment Tuesday afternoon. He told Cleveland 19 News that he had no trouble cashing it at another Huntington branch the next day.

Old n Grumpy
12-20-2018, 12:09 PM
He is black and cashing a PAYCHECK!! they thought he left the plantation and went republican!!

This never would have happened if it was a welfare check.

FlaGator
12-20-2018, 12:49 PM
I am surprised the bank would cash the paycheck without him being a customer. Around here they won't give you change for a $20 if you don't have an account.

SVPete
12-20-2018, 01:24 PM
I am surprised the bank would cash the paycheck without him being a customer. Around here they won't give you change for a $20 if you don't have an account.

I can't view a WashPost article without paying until next year ( :biggrin-new: i.e. the beginning of next month), but relevant factors I've read elsewhere are that:

* The guy is not a customer of that bank, and thus is a stranger;

* The guy asked for cash;

* The people at the bank tried unsuccessfully to verify his employment;

* The reason for the special concern was not the guy's skin color, but that that particular branch had received a rash of phony checks.

IOW, a non-customer stranger of any skin color asking to cash a $1,000+ check would have gotten similar scrutiny. And if the bank personnel thought such a check was phony, they would have called the police, again, regardless of the guy's or gal's skin color.

enslaved1
12-20-2018, 04:22 PM
Further down in the article...

Brooklyn Police Chief Scott Mielke said Tuesday that since July, there have been at least 10 calls out to the Huntington Bank branch where McCowns was detained ó all of which have resulted in arrests for fraudulent checks.

A spokesman from Huntington Bank confirmed Mielkeís account, adding that recent incidents have put employees and tellers at the branch on high alert.

IOW, people have been bringing bad checks to this bank, which causes bank employees to be watching for possible fraudsters.

One could argue that cuffin' and stuffin' him was a bit much, but I would ask to see reports of his responses and body cam/security cam video before making that final call.

Retread
12-20-2018, 06:35 PM
Iím still on his side, he met ALL the banks requirements for cashing a check in providing two IDís and his fingerprint yet they not only rejected him but called the cops. He wasnít upset that they rejected him and another branch had no problem with him in less than 24 hours later.

He was profiled. It was not the right thing to do and as has been mentioned, if it were a welfare check, they would have just bopped right on through.

Jim54
12-25-2018, 09:14 PM
Iím still on his side, he met ALL the banks requirements for cashing a check in providing two IDís and his fingerprint yet they not only rejected him but called the cops. He wasnít upset that they rejected him and another branch had no problem with him in less than 24 hours later.

He was profiled. It was not the right thing to do and as has been mentioned, if it were a welfare check, they would have just bopped right on through.

Agreed. He met their requirements for cashing a check. They profiled him. It was a judgement call, but they boo-boo'd.