PDA

View Full Version : Fast Train to Failure

Banacek
12-27-2018, 06:23 PM
In 2008, California voters approved a bond for a high-speed rail line connecting San Francisco and Los Angeles with the fast-growing cities in the state’s Central Valley. With trains running at 220 miles per hour on dedicated tracks, California High-Speed Rail (CAHSR) would be the first true high-speed rail line in the U.S. The project’s backers, including Governor Jerry Brown, promised that CAHSR would cost just $33 billion and be finished by 2022, including extensions to Sacramento and San Diego. It would whisk passengers from San Francisco to Los Angeles in two hours and 40 minutes—fast enough, if European experience is a guide, to convince most air travelers on that route to take the train instead.

Ten years later, supporters have ample cause to reconsider. CAHSR’s costs have severely escalated: the California High-Speed Rail Authority (CHSRA) now estimates that the train’s core segment alone, from San Francisco to Los Angeles, will cost from $77 billion to $98 billion. Promises that private investors would cover most of the costs have fallen through. Forecasts for the project’s completion date and travel times have also slipped. The fastest trains in the CHSRA’s current business plan have a running time of over three hours, and the first segment of the line—San Jose to Bakersfield, almost 200 miles short of completion—won’t open until 2029

https://www.city-journal.org/californias-high-speed-rail-project

GeorgeandSugar
12-27-2018, 06:50 PM
Another example of a government boondoggle. What a lousy return on investment. Makes you wonder how many are going to ride from LA to SF?

More “green energy” and Democrat nonsense and mass transit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zathras
12-27-2018, 07:04 PM
I wonder how much infrastructure in need of repair could have been fixed with the $98 Billion that will be wasted on Moonbeam's Train to Nowhere. I live in San Jose and if I have to go to LA, or anywhere in the state for that matter, I'm driving. I refuse to take a flight or whenever this so called high speed rail is available just because of the expense of those two modes of transportation.

Dlr Pyro
12-27-2018, 07:08 PM
In 2008, California voters approved a bond for a high-speed rail line connecting San Francisco and Los Angeles

just to be clear, this California voter did not vote for this.

This was fraudulently presented to the voters and nobody is willing to admit is a scam and a farce that needs to have the plug pulled on it.

The democrats bitch and moan about giving $5 billion for the wall, yet they have no problem pissing away $77+ billion dollars on this debacle. There should be hearings, arrests and hangings.

SVPete
12-27-2018, 09:44 PM
I wish the POS would hurry up and die. It would have been cheaper to update/expand LAX, John Wayne, Burbank, SMC, SFO, OAK, and SJC. And had greater benefit.

DumbAss Tanker
12-27-2018, 11:03 PM
CAHSR...CHSRA

Ironic, both anagrams of CRASH. Muahahaha!

:biggrin-new:

SVPete
12-28-2018, 09:51 AM
I think the three purposes of this POS were: to have a huge inspiring political symbol; hurt airlines; create thousands of government jobs.