PDA

View Full Version : Scrumptious Sunday

biccat
12-28-2008, 08:35 AM
3 Christmas dinners, acres of wrapping paper, and 11 hours (normally 9) of driving later, we finally got home from the in laws'.

Turns out, this was a bad week to travel. Poor driving going out there, and poor driving coming back. We had fog so thick on I-80 that you couldn't see 50 feet ahead of you. Made for some very harrowing encounters, especially off the highway where you didn't have the median to cushion you from oncoming traffic. And then there were the roads on I-94 where traffic moved at 20 mph for an hour because the road was a sheet of ice.

Yikes!

But going back to Christmas, we had 3 dinners, and only one featured my favorite, turkey and stuffing. Otherwise we had prime rib, ham, and chicken wings (Christmas #2) and filet mignon (#3). There was some other stuff there too, but nothing is as important as the main course, in my opinion.

I realized how cheap turkey is this time of year, and we decided to get a couple and stash them in the freezer. New Years Day will feature turkey and stuffing, so we'll ring in 2009 on an up note.

TOTD: Are there any holiday (Thanksgiving - New Years) staples that you wish you had more often during the year? Why not? Are they too expensive to have all the time, too time-consuming, or do they just hold a special place as "holiday" food?

asdf2231
12-28-2008, 12:35 PM
TOTD

Homemade Chex mix.

Mmmmmmm... But I like to save it for the holidays.

Celtic Rose
12-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Crab Cioppino is our Christmas Eve meal. We've made it other times, but it just doesn't have the same feel without 24 people around the table :p Plus, it is a pricey dish to make!

Bubba Dawg
12-28-2008, 12:49 PM
]Crab Cioppino[/B] is our Christmas Eve meal. We've made it other times, but it just doesn't have the same feel without 24 people around the table :p Plus, it is a pricey dish to make!

Is that chopped crab? Isn't it really crunchy? :D

Seriously, a recipe would be greatly appreciated. :)

Bubba Dawg
12-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Rainy and mild today. We're in a drought so any and all rain is appreciated.

TOTD. Well, I would say turkey but i have started smoking a turkey breast about once a month because the meat is so good and that's meals and lunch sandwiches for a bout a week.

I guess cornbread dressing would be one thing i would like to have more often. Made with pork in it. Oh man is it ever good.

Celtic Rose
12-28-2008, 01:34 PM
[SIZE="3"]
Is that chopped crab? Isn't it really crunchy? :D

Seriously, a recipe would be greatly appreciated. :)

Like all great recipes you should adjust things based on your tastes :)

This will serve about 20 people, adjust as necessary

1 1/2 cups butter
4 medium onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 bunch fresh parsley leaves, minced
4 (14.5-ounce) cans plum tomatoes, undrained and cut up
4 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
4 bay leaves
2 tablespoon dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
3 cup dry white white
4 dozen small hard-shell clams in shell
4 dozen mussels in shell
3 pounds (or more) raw extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 pounds (or more) bay scallops
12 or more large crabs, cleaned well and cracked
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

In a large soup pot or cast-iron Dutch oven over medium-low heat saute garlic, onion, and parsley. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened. Add tomatoes, clam juice, bay leaves, basil, thyme, oregano, and wine; bring just to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour. If sauce becomes too thick, thin with additional wine or water.

Scrub clams and mussels with a small stiff brush under cold running water; remove beards from mussels. Discard any open clams or mussels.

Divide sauce into two large pots if necessary and gently stir in the clams, mussels, shrimp, scallops, and crab. Cover and simmer gently for 15 to 25 minutes, until clams open and all seafood is cooked through. Remove bay leaves; season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from from heat and serve with good crusty bread :)

This is an approximate recipe because it changes all the time based on the taste of the cook, and what seafood they want to add, and what is available.

Bubba Dawg
12-28-2008, 04:35 PM
[SIZE="3"]

Like all great recipes you should adjust things based on your tastes :)

This will serve about 20 people, adjust as necessary

1 1/2 cups butter
4 medium onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 bunch fresh parsley leaves, minced
4 (14.5-ounce) cans plum tomatoes, undrained and cut up
4 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
4 bay leaves
2 tablespoon dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
3 cup dry white white
4 dozen small hard-shell clams in shell
4 dozen mussels in shell
3 pounds (or more) raw extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 pounds (or more) bay scallops
12 or more large crabs, cleaned well and cracked
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

In a large soup pot or cast-iron Dutch oven over medium-low heat saute garlic, onion, and parsley. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened. Add tomatoes, clam juice, bay leaves, basil, thyme, oregano, and wine; bring just to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour. If sauce becomes too thick, thin with additional wine or water.

Scrub clams and mussels with a small stiff brush under cold running water; remove beards from mussels. Discard any open clams or mussels.

Divide sauce into two large pots if necessary and gently stir in the clams, mussels, shrimp, scallops, and crab. Cover and simmer gently for 15 to 25 minutes, until clams open and all seafood is cooked through. Remove bay leaves; season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from from heat and serve with good crusty bread :)

This is an approximate recipe because it changes all the time based on the taste of the cook, and what seafood they want to add, and what is available.

Wow, that's a keeper. Thanks. :)

linda22003
12-28-2008, 04:59 PM
TOTD: Are there any holiday (Thanksgiving - New Years) staples that you wish you had more often during the year? Why not? Are they too expensive to have all the time, too time-consuming, or do they just hold a special place as "holiday" food?

I think if we don't have them more often, it's just because we don't think of it. Since we had filet mignon for Christmas, and someone else hosted Thanksgiving, perhaps I should do a turkey for New Year's weekend.

I haven't roasted a goose for some time, and judging by the one I saw at Wegman's this morning for $135.00, it's going to be some time yet before I do.

SaintLouieWoman
12-29-2008, 12:34 PM
I think if we don't have them more often, it's just because we don't think of it. Since we had filet mignon for Christmas, and someone else hosted Thanksgiving, perhaps I should do a turkey for New Year's weekend.

I haven't roasted a goose for some time, and judging by the one I saw at Wegman's this morning for $135.00, it's going to be some time yet before I do.

Are geese as fatty and rich as duck? It would be never as far as I'm concerned. SR really enjoys eating a duck. He baked one here, but it was so greasy----not his fault, it's just the nature of the food.

We've seen the turducken for about that price, some lower, but again, it's too rich for my taste buds. I'd rather have a turkey or baked chicken.

linda22003
12-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Geese are at LEAST as fatty and rich as duck. :) The Barefoot Contessa has a good method for dealing with the fat issue in duck:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roast-duck-recipe/index.html

The trick is finding a stockpot big enough!