PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy Center Honors The Who

Phillygirl
12-30-2008, 10:03 PM
On now on CBS. The musical tribute is amazingly good. And surprisingly, Jack Black did an excellent intro for them.

I have always been somewhat infatuated with Roger Daltry. When I saw them in concert around 91 or so I had dreams of him for weeks. :D

Goldwater
12-30-2008, 10:05 PM
I have always been somewhat infatuated with Roger Daltry. When I saw them in concert around 91 or so I had dreams of him for weeks. :D

Oh you. ;)

asdf2231
12-30-2008, 10:13 PM
On now on CBS. The musical tribute is amazingly good. And surprisingly, Jack Black did an excellent intro for them.

I paid $50 to sit on wet mud on a hillside at Alpine Valley to see that concert when they toured!

The playlist was just AWESOME! :)

Gingersnap
12-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Who?

Like these guys are going to relevant in 100 years. The guys who did the soundtrack for 'Narnia" or 'Conan' will be. The new classical music will be found in the movie soundtracks between 1950 and whatever.

Sorry - I just couldn't resist harshing a post-hippie mellow. :D

Phillygirl
12-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Who?

Like these guys are going to relevant in 100 years. The guys who did the soundtrack for 'Narnia" or 'Conan' will be. The new classical music will be found in the movie soundtracks between 1950 and whatever.

Sorry - I just couldn't resist harshing a post-hippie mellow. :D

Hush you!! Teenage Wasteland was my high school motto. Someone was even kind enough to spray paint it on the front of the building the day before the first day of school my junior year. :p

I mostly listen to country now, but when I hear some good rock, like from the Who, I remember what I'm missing.

Phillygirl
12-30-2008, 10:25 PM
I paid $50 to sit on wet mud on a hillside at Alpine Valley to see that concert when they toured!

The playlist was just AWESOME! :)

I had decent seats...but had a stomach flu!! :mad: Between that, and the huge crowd, I thought I was going to pass out before I got in the place. But it was well worth it.

Bubba Dawg
12-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Hush you!! Teenage Wasteland was my high school motto. Someone was even kind enough to spray paint it on the front of the building the day before the first day of school my junior year. :p

I mostly listen to country now, but when I hear some good rock, like from the Who, I remember what I'm missing.

You listen to Country music.....:eek:

That's the most fu....interesting thing I've heard in a while. :p

I listen to everything. Grew up on a mix of things. Rock. Soul. Country.

Teenage Wasteland. Nice....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsbPVlFcmDs

Gingersnap
12-30-2008, 10:33 PM

There's nothing wrong with indulging in ear candy but it's not worth big time recognition. I happen to think that pop music began in 1979 and ended in 1993. That doesn't make me right but it does make me pathetic. On the other hand, I wear pastels really well and I still don't have flat, thin, chopped up hair.

For amusement I listen to alt. country, Celtic, Delta Blues, and Bluegrass. For the soundtrack of my life, I listen to Baroque, opera, Classical, and cheesy New Age compositions. I'm obviously not proud.

All of the "serious" composers at the moment are post-modern and therefore un-hearable. Pop won't fill that void in the future but movies will.

Phillygirl
12-30-2008, 10:42 PM
You listen to Country music.....:eek:

That's the most fu....interesting thing I've heard in a while. :p

I listen to everything. Grew up on a mix of things. Rock. Soul. Country.

Teenage Wasteland. Nice....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsbPVlFcmDs

Now why is that fuinteresting?

I just got an ipod for Christmas. I checked my albums on there so far: Gretchen Wilson; Brooks and Dunn, Garth Brooks, Charlie Daniels, Carole King, Aretha Franklin, Motown Legends, LeeAnn Rimes, Toby Ketih, David Bowie and some jazz album.

I guess I'm sort of eclectic as well. I like 50's and early 60's rock and roll too.

Bubba Dawg
12-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Now why is that fuinteresting?

I just got an ipod for Christmas. I checked my albums on there so far: Gretchen Wilson; Brooks and Dunn, Garth Brooks, Charlie Daniels, Carole King, Aretha Franklin, Motown Legends, LeeAnn Rimes, Toby Ketih, David Bowie and some jazz album.

I guess I'm sort of eclectic as well. I like 50's and early 60's rock and roll too.

LOL. It's just I never pictured a Philadelphia Lawyer listening to C&W. :D

Should have known. I am eclectic in my taste. My family members and the folks we were around all were big into Country and Gospel and not much else. They thought Pink Floyd was just...weird. And the fact that I listened to Black music was just a horror.

Now, I love everything except Chinese opera and a couple of things like that.

Phillygirl
12-30-2008, 10:56 PM
LOL. It's just I never pictured a Philadelphia Lawyer listening to C&W. :D

Should have known. I am eclectic in my taste. My family members and the folks we were around all were big into Country and Gospel and not much else. They thought Pink Floyd was just...weird. And the fact that I listened to Black music was just a horror.

Now, I love everything except Chinese opera and a couple of things like that.

Somebody around here awhile back was shocked that I had been to a King Crimson concert. I was influenced by the same friend who got me into Bowie. Although the funny thing is, in later life, he claimed that I was the one that insisted we listen to Space Oddity every day on the drive to school!!

Bubba Dawg
12-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Somebody around here awhile back was shocked that I had been to a King Crimson concert. I was influenced by the same friend who got me into Bowie. Although the funny thing is, in later life, he claimed that I was the one that insisted we listen to Space Oddity every day on the drive to school!!

Space Oddity was my first Bowie song. I had in on a 45 rpm single and listened to it over and over. I liked Ziggy. For years I wouldn't even acknowledge Hank or Merle or Johnny or Willie, and then the integrity of their music got to me. The it wasn't about exclusion, it was about what was good.

There is so much good music. I like to be open to all of it.

Phillygirl
12-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Space Oddity was my first Bowie song. I had in on a 45 rpm single and listened to it over and over. I liked Ziggy. For years I wouldn't even acknowledge Hank or Merle or Johnny or Willie, and then the integrity of their music got to me. The it wasn't about exclusion, it was about what was good.

There is so much good music. I like to be open to all of it.

I'm not very musically inclined. In fact, the only "stereo" I ever owned was a Sears turn table with am fm and 8 track disk. In my house I have an under the counter cd player. I'm about as far behind the times with "pop" music as Ginger is (maybe even further by a few years!) with the exception of country music. I don't really seek it out, but can enjoy it when I hear something new.

I do tend to like older music when it comes to rock/pop. A few weeks ago I helped put together a music video for a project. I have to say I had a lot of fun listening to lots of music to find just the right songs for everybody...but most of the songs were of the Motown era.

Bubba Dawg
12-31-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm not very musically inclined. In fact, the only "stereo" I ever owned was a Sears turn table with am fm and 8 track disk. In my house I have an under the counter cd player. I'm about as far behind the times with "pop" music as Ginger is (maybe even further by a few years!) with the exception of country music. I don't really seek it out, but can enjoy it when I hear something new.

I do tend to like older music when it comes to rock/pop. A few weeks ago I helped put together a music video for a project. I have to say I had a lot of fun listening to lots of music to find just the right songs for everybody...but most of the songs were of the Motown era.

You're not as far behind as Ginger because she's older. :p

One of the things I really like about the I-Tunes software is the selection of radio stations of just about every kind of music. A tone of them at that.

Come to think of it, I don't have a 'stereo' any more. I either listen to music on my computers, in the car, or on the MP3 player. I have a lot of really good music on vinyl but no turntable.

Space Gravy
12-31-2008, 08:44 PM

Blasphemy.....the song is called Baba O'Riley.:D

Bubba Dawg
12-31-2008, 08:51 PM
Blasphemy.....the song is called Baba O'Riley.:D

Is Baba Irish for Bubba? :D