PDA

View Full Version : Gazprom cuts off gas for Ukraine

Moon
01-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Gazprom cuts off gas for Ukraine

By Andrew E. Kramer
Published: January 1, 2009

MOSCOW: Gazprom, the Russian energy monopoly, shut off the entire flow of natural gas intended for domestic consumption in Ukraine on Thursday, after negotiations over prices and transit fees unraveled the day before.

"Gas deliveries in the Ukrainian direction were reduced by 90 million cubic meters per day," Gazprom said in a statement carried by the Interfax news agency.

The amount is approximately the average daily consumption of the country of 46 million people, which is at the peak of the winter heating season.

Ukraine's national energy company confirmed that pressure in the Ukrainian natural gas pipeline system had begun to drop Thursday morning, Reuters reported.

If the interruption continues, customers in Western Europe are likely to experience shortages, since the same pipelines in Ukraine that are used for internal distribution are also used for export. That is a problem that has bedeviled European energy supplies from Russia for years.

Link (http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/01/01/business/gas.php)

Looks like Russia is poking another neighbor in the eye.

biccat
01-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Looks like Russia is poking another neighbor in the eye.
The important question is how far will Europe let Russia proceed unchecked?

I don't think it's unreasonable, considering the Georgia situation, to see this as the initial setup for Russia to send military troops into Ukraine.

djones520
01-01-2009, 11:09 AM
My first thoughts as well Biccat. Let them go without the resources for a little while to get softened up, and then step in to "reclaim" some contested territory.

Moon
01-01-2009, 11:16 AM
The important question is how far will Europe let Russia proceed unchecked?

I don't think it's unreasonable, considering the Georgia situation, to see this as the initial setup for Russia to send military troops into Ukraine.

My thinking was along those lines as well. Maybe this is the "test" that that moron Joe Biden, was talking about.

biccat
01-01-2009, 03:50 PM
My thinking was along those lines as well. Maybe this is the "test" that that moron Joe Biden, was talking about.
I'm beginning to think the term "test" means something happens in the world, Obama screws it up, and then the left gets to make it into a "crisis" to take more power.

PoliCon
01-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Russia will dominate europe now like never before - through energy. Why do you think they went after Georgia? They are the only pipeline running into europe not controlled by Russia.

Goldwater
01-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Russia will dominate europe now like never before - through energy. Why do you think they went after Georgia? They are the only pipeline running into europe not controlled by Russia.

Markets and the interest of power to Russia will see that Europe gets it's energy from Russia whether they like it or not. That and Europe is starting to move towards more renewable energy (albeit half-heartedly and via government, so it'll be that much longer and painful).

PoliCon
01-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Markets and the interest of power to Russia will see that Europe gets it's energy from Russia whether they like it or not. That and Europe is starting to move towards more renewable energy (albeit half-heartedly and via government, so it'll be that much longer and painful).Trouble with "renewable" energy is that is sucks. It does not produce at the levels needed to be a viable alternative to fossil fuels.

Sonnabend
01-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Larry Bond...."Cauldron"..I am re reading it now.

My first thoughts as well Biccat. Let them go without the resources for a little while to get softened up, and then step in to "reclaim" some contested territory.

Bingo.

lacarnut
01-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Trouble with "renewable" energy is that is sucks. It does not produce at the levels needed to be a viable alternative to fossil fuels.

Renewable energy is very expensive whether it be wind or solar. Ethanol is a big rip off also. Using a food source for fuel is idiotic. Nuke power in countries like France is a huge source of energy that the dumb asses in DC should put hands up instead of hands down.

PoliCon
01-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Renewable energy is very expensive whether it be wind or solar. Ethanol is a big rip off also. Using a food source for fuel is idiotic. Nuke power in countries like France is a huge source of energy that the dumb asses in DC should put hands up instead of hands down.I agree whole heartedly. everything they want is impractical, expensive, and inefficient. In the case of electric cars - far more damaging to the environment in the long run.

lacarnut
01-02-2009, 04:17 PM
I agree whole heartedly. everything they want is impractical, expensive, and inefficient. In the case of electric cars - far more damaging to the environment in the long run.

We should stay out of the affairs of Russia, EU, etc. We got stabbed in the back with the oil for food. Let them stew in their own making. Karma is a bitch.

We have tremendious amouts of natural gas. That's the energy source the DC critters should be pursuing rather than idiotic renewable energy. Natural gas is several times cheaper than any of these other screwball ideas.

PoliCon
01-02-2009, 04:23 PM
We should stay out of the affairs of Russia, EU, etc. We got stabbed in the back with the oil for food. Let them stew in their own making. Karma is a bitch.

We have tremendious amouts of natural gas. That's the energy source the DC critters should be pursuing rather than idiotic renewable energy. Natural gas is several times cheaper than any of these other screwball ideas.

oh yea. we should sit back while Russia builds an energy hegemony over most of the civilized world. :rolleyes:

lacarnut
01-02-2009, 04:39 PM
oh yea. we should sit back while Russia builds an energy hegemony over most of the civilized world. :rolleyes:

You can include a bunch of Middle Eastern and commie oil producing countries in that hegemonic mix also.