04-05-2019, 12:46 AM
I don't know how many of you follow
Crypto but things are heating up again.

Bitcoin has pushed past 5K, it's hanging
around that price.

XRP is spiking, .35 tonight...

Tecate
04-05-2019, 01:16 AM
Iíve always been afraid of the extreme volatility, but that can be to the upside as well. Buy low, sell high.

SarasotaRepub
04-05-2019, 01:36 AM
XRP is now .368

:biggrin-new:

Tecate
04-05-2019, 01:54 AM
My step brother still has 20 bitcoins that he bought for $5 each. He was an early adopter. He used some to pay for his house, and some were hacked and stolen from him. When bitcoin got to $20K I told him to dump them all and he can always buy back in later. He didnít do it. The little shit has more money than all of us put together.

old dog
04-05-2019, 02:01 AM
I like the idea of a medium of exchange which is not controlled by government and is capable of private transactions online but Bitcoin ain't it. It's 10 years old and there is no stability in value in sight. Sane transactions require that a buy-send-sell be done quickly and even then it's a crapshoot if the recipient will end up with more of less of what he is due.

I've often wondered if it could be pegged to the price of gold. If the market price of CryptoToGold rises the mining difficulty would automatically be adjusted down. If the market price of CryptoToGold falls the mining difficulty would automatically be adjusted up. The exchange rate could be kept in a fairly narrow band and it would be safe to hold Crypto for extended periods of time. The big problem would be how to AUTOMATICALLY implement these tweaks without having an external "trusted" overseer.

SarasotaRepub
04-05-2019, 02:12 AM
My step brother still has 20 bitcoins that he bought for $5 each. He was an early adopter. He used some to pay for his house, and some were hacked and stolen from him. When bitcoin got to $20K I told him to dump them all and he can always buy back in later. He didnít do it. The little shit has more money than all of us put together.

Hopefully your step brother has moved his Bitcoins to a
a Hardware Wallet like the Ledger Nano S. That is where
I keep my Crypto. It's a crime he lost some in a hack and
that is why he should use cold storage like a Nano S.

Look into XRP.

Tecate
04-05-2019, 02:17 AM
I like the idea of a medium of exchange which is not controlled by government and is capable of private transactions online but Bitcoin ain't it. It's 10 years old and there is no stability in value in sight. Sane transactions require that a buy-send-sell be done quickly and even then it's a crapshoot if the recipient will end up with more of less of what he is due.

I've often wondered if it could be pegged to the price of gold. If the market price of CryptoToGold rises the mining difficulty would automatically be adjusted down. If the market price of CryptoToGold falls the mining difficulty would automatically be adjusted up. The exchange rate could be kept in a fairly narrow band and it would be safe to hold Crypto for extended periods of time. The big problem would be how to AUTOMATICALLY implement these tweaks without having an external "trusted" overseer.

I feel the same way. Imagine ordering a $25 steak in a restaurant and by the time you finished eating it, the price went to $100? Iíll have the check, please.

Tecate
04-05-2019, 02:22 AM
Hopefully your step brother has moved his Bitcoins to a
a Hardware Wallet like the Ledger Nano S. That is where
I keep my Crypto. It's a crime he lost some in a hack and
that is why he should use cold storage like a Nano S.

Look into XRP.

That was several years ago when almost no one knew anything about Bitcoin. He has long taken care of that situation, but damn, the money that he lost just makes me sick!

SarasotaRepub
04-05-2019, 08:31 AM
That was several years ago when almost no one knew anything about Bitcoin. He has long taken care of that situation, but damn, the money that he lost just makes me sick!

Lots of stories like that. There were people that
had hundreds of bitcoin on software wallets and
just deleted them thinking bitcoin was just a fad.

Those coins are gone! What a bummer...

Tecate
04-05-2019, 10:36 AM
Lots of stories like that. There were people that
had hundreds of bitcoin on software wallets and
just deleted them thinking bitcoin was just a fad.

Those coins are gone! What a bummer...

Iíll make it a point to get more specific details from him and bring them back here.

SarasotaRepub
04-05-2019, 01:50 PM
Iíll make it a point to get more specific details from him and bring them back here.

No biggie but it would be interesting
if he wants to share the details.

Tecate
04-06-2019, 12:32 PM
No biggie but it would be interesting
if he wants to share the details.

I just talked to my stepbrother. This goes back to 2007. He was using an exchange called MTGOX at the time. He had 9,000 bitcoins stolen from him. He told me that when he used some to buy his house they were worth about $55 each at the time. He said they were easier to cash out for a spell, and then it became more complicated. He still has 19.5 bitcoins in a secure wallet.

There was more techie gobeldegook in there that I am incapable of regurgitating.

SarasotaRepub
04-06-2019, 12:38 PM
I just talked to my stepbrother. This goes back to 2007. He was using an exchange called MTGOX at the time. He had 9,000 bitcoins stolen from him. He told me that when he used some to buy his house they were worth about $55 each at the time. He said they were easier to cash out for a spell, and then it became more complicated. He still has 19.5 bitcoins in a secure wallet.

There was more techie gobeldegook in there that I am incapable of regurgitating.

I had a feeling it was MTGOX. JHC, 9K??
BTC is around $5,100 per coin at the moment.
That's over 45 million!!

GAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Tecate
04-06-2019, 12:43 PM
I had a feeling it was MTGOX. JHC, 9K??
BTC is around $5,100 per coin at the moment.
That's over 45 million!!

GAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

And he can chuckle about it today.

Tecate
04-06-2019, 01:17 PM
Thereís another important detail that I failed to mention. He was buying bitcoins for 2-3 cents. Thatís how early he was in on it.

SarasotaRepub
04-06-2019, 02:06 PM
Thereís another important detail that I failed to mention. He was buying bitcoins for 2-3 cents. Thatís how early he was in on it.

Back when they were that cheap (and it really
wasn't that long ago) I think I had heard
Bitcoin mentioned but I can't swear to it. Even
if I had I doubt I would have bought any.

Stories like that just make you shake your head.

Amazing.

Retread
04-06-2019, 11:09 PM
A tech entrepreneur and his wife have made a very Silicon Valley donation to his San Francisco alma mater ó $25 million, mostly in cryptocurrency.

The gift from Chris Larsen, founder of cryptocurrency company Ripple, and his wife Lyna Lam, to San Francisco State University is already giving officials an education in digital financial services.

https://apnews.com/0bc25e7e6ad9469294341e8582e61754

SarasotaRepub
04-07-2019, 08:07 AM
A tech entrepreneur and his wife have made a very Silicon Valley donation to his San Francisco alma mater ó $25 million, mostly in cryptocurrency.

The gift from Chris Larsen, founder of cryptocurrency company Ripple, and his wife Lyna Lam, to San Francisco State University is already giving officials an education in digital financial services.

https://apnews.com/0bc25e7e6ad9469294341e8582e61754

Yep, I had meant to post this also. Ripple and
XRP are often used together. Ripple is the
company and XRP is the crypto. Ripple has
been doing great work in the crypto field and
I hope they go public soon.

cadillac shark
05-30-2019, 07:22 AM
Just for historical note, Baltimore has so far refused to pay the ransomware-hackers the $76,000 in bitcoin/crypto they were asking for, but the city has lost 18.2-million at last count.

The situation has the potential to turn-into a fiasco of course, with the US-taxpayers being dragged-in.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-ransomware-email-20190529-story.html

SarasotaRepub
06-07-2019, 02:50 AM
There are two Crypto currencies I'd
be investing in now.

XRP and XRP. :smile-new:

And if the company, RIPPLE, goes
public, pick some up. Just my opinion.

Tecate
06-07-2019, 03:18 PM
Iíve always been a bit afraid of the cryptos for obvious reasons, but Iíve got to do something to get my game on. Iím 50 years old. Sure, Iíve got hundreds of thousands, but buy, hold, and grow old, isnít cutting it. Iím considering hiring someone to prevent me from living in cardboard box under a bridge.