PDA

View Full Version : US Space program

ironhorsedriver
01-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Report out says that Obama is considering combining the efforts of NASA and the Military to jump start our space program. This is to counter the rapid rise of China's program. The military is stated to fear China's ability to destroy US satellites.
One proposal by Obama's team is to scrape the Orion program and utilize the Air Forces rockets to launch space vehicles. NASA administrator Mike Griffin opposes this, putting at odds with the President elects team.
The Military Space Program far out spends NASA in the budget. The hopes, according to some source in the Obama camp, is that it would hasten our return to the moon, and beyond. It would also close the gap in the time we would be without a manned space vehicle after the retirement of the shuttle in 2010.

djones520
01-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Link?

Something I think I could agree with Obama on. Consolidating two budgets into one will probably make accountability a lot easier.

I don't see this being bad, as long as it doesn't negatively affect our defense capabilities.

ironhorsedriver
01-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Here's the link
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aOvrNO0OJ41g&refer=worldwide

ironhorsedriver
01-03-2009, 09:07 AM
By the way, I agree. I think NASA and our Defense go hand in hand. However, my fear would be that space exploration would get tossed aside.
I am a strong proponent of exploration. We need to know what's out there, it's what makes us great. It jump starts invention and inovation.

MrsSmith
01-03-2009, 09:37 AM
By the way, I agree. I think NASA and our Defense go hand in hand. However, my fear would be that space exploration would get tossed aside.
I am a strong proponent of exploration. We need to know what's out there, it's what makes us great. It jump starts invention and inovation.

Absolutely. NASA has been hugely influential in medical devices, for instance.

Moon
01-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Obama hasn't even been inaugurated yet, and he's breaking another campaign promise.

Anyone remember "I will not weaponize space"? Sounds to me like he's taking the first steps toward doing exactly that.

djones520
01-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Maybe President Bush filled him in on the Klingon threat during their meeting? That would probably have helped to change his mind.

ironhorsedriver
01-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Obama hasn't even been inaugurated yet, and he's breaking another campaign promise.

Anyone remember "I will not weaponize space"? Sounds to me like he's taking the first steps toward doing exactly that.

I hope he realizes that China, Russia and even India will not make that same promise.

Moon
01-03-2009, 10:35 AM
I hope he realizes that China, Russia and even India will not make that same promise.

No big. He'll just shower them with love and happy thoughts, and everything will be A-OK!!

SarasotaRepub
01-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Maybe President Bush filled him in on the Klingon threat during their meeting? That would probably have helped to change his mind.

Well yes the Klingon's are pesky but the BORG!!!! :eek::D

When I heard that O speech about not weaponizing space I knew
PE Obama was either clueless or a liar.

AHeneen
01-03-2009, 11:39 AM
One proposal by Obama's team is to scrape the Orion program and utilize the Air Forces rockets to launch space vehicles. NASA administrator Mike Griffin opposes this, putting at odds with the President elects team.

What he obviously doesn't realize is that the Orion program is far into development, they just completed assembling the first full-size prototype...so he wants to scrap all this money and effort?? NASA and the Air Force already work almost hand in hand and share the same technologies...including rockets. The shuttle launchpads are surrounded by ones for the Air Force and there are two sizable AF bases within ~25 miles of Cape Canaveral. Where's the money going to be saved?????

djones520
01-03-2009, 11:51 AM
What he obviously doesn't realize is that the Orion program is far into development, they just completed assembling the first full-size prototype...so he wants to scrap all this money and effort?? NASA and the Air Force already work almost hand in hand and share the same technologies...including rockets. The shuttle launchpads are surrounded by ones for the Air Force and there are two sizable AF bases within ~25 miles of Cape Canaveral. Where's the money going to be saved?????

Same way it's being saved in the AF right now. Fire a bunch of people and make the rest do twice the work.