PDA

View Full Version : Cypress Semiconductor Might Be For Sale

Tecate
06-01-2019, 02:10 PM
I work for this company. The call letters are CY. Market Watch has it and Reuterís has it. Somebody is looking to buy us. The stock shot up $3 from $15 to $18 on this news. We have an excellent product portfolio and the fab I work in was paid for many years ago. We are THE cash cow for the company. Our cost per wafer is lower than any Chinese foundry.

I started off working at Advanced Micro Devices in 1990, then it became FASL (Fujitsu AMD Semiconductor Limited) then it became Spansion LLC, now weíre Cypress, but for who knows how long? Iíve been working on the same campus, parking almost in the same space for 29 years.

I have almost 1000 shares of CY. I may may dump about 33% of it into strength.

Ranger Rick
06-01-2019, 06:05 PM
Have a product using their memory chips. Do you think it is Chinese?

Tecate
06-01-2019, 06:21 PM
No, we have no manufacturing in China that I am aware of.

Tecate
06-01-2019, 06:44 PM
I rebuild parts for CMP (chemical mechanical polish) Shallow trench isolation (STI) inter-layer dielectric (oxide) a non-conductor. Tungsten plugs, and copper. These are nasty, dirty processes. Cleaning these parts is not fun.

Retread
06-01-2019, 08:02 PM

I have almost 1000 shares of CY. I may may dump about 33% of it into strength.

Looking at the IHS Markit report I might hang on until the end of July- the earnings date for the dividend. But I go for holding rather than trading.
My prize is up 4500%.

Tecate
06-01-2019, 09:14 PM
Looking at the IHS Markit report I might hang on until the end of July- the earnings date for the dividend. But I go for holding rather than trading.
My prize is up 4500%.

I will take heed to what youíve said. Iím a pretty good saver, but a horrible investor. A blind man with a dart board could probably do better than me. I donít need the money, so Iíll sit and watch for a bit.

Retread
06-01-2019, 11:04 PM
I will take heed to what youíve said. Iím a pretty good saver, but a horrible investor. A blind man with a dart board could probably do better than me. I donít need the money, so Iíll sit and watch for a bit.

Iím certainly no whiz bang but Iíve always been a buy and hold guy unless I see the cliff ahead that the company is driving over.
My T is down a few cents from my buy price but itís paying near 7% dividend regularly. Damn sure wonít get that kind of return elsewhere with that same risk factor.
My self-directed IRA is all in mutual funds and diversified. Even then everything went down last winter but itís all back and higher than it was now. Iím 77 and wonít starve unless the countries entire economy crashes and burns.

Retread
06-01-2019, 11:05 PM
BTW - Iím taking a flyer on CY first thing Monday morning if it drops below 17.5

FlaGator
06-02-2019, 11:18 AM
This could be considered insider trading. Careful ladies and gentlemen, you walk a fine line if any of this isn't public knowledge.

Tecate
06-02-2019, 12:21 PM
This could be considered insider trading. Careful ladies and gentlemen, you walk a fine line if any of this isn't public knowledge.

I think we’re okay since Market Watch and Reuters, at a bare minimum published it. What we don’t know is the identity of the interested party. I have my suspicions, but I won’t speculate.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cypress-semi-stock-rallies-more-than-10-on-report-of-potential-buyout-2019-05-29

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cypress-semicond-strategicoptions/cypress-semiconductor-explores-options-after-receiving-takeover-interest-bloomberg-idUSKCN1SZ1Z9

FlaGator
06-02-2019, 01:39 PM
I think weíre okay since Market Watch and Reuters, at a bare minimum published it. What we donít know is the identity of the interested party. I have my suspicions, but I wonít speculate.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cypress-semi-stock-rallies-more-than-10-on-report-of-potential-buyout-2019-05-29

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cypress-semicond-strategicoptions/cypress-semiconductor-explores-options-after-receiving-takeover-interest-bloomberg-idUSKCN1SZ1Z9

I work for a company and in a position that allows me access to information about deals with other companies. I have to be very careful about what I invest in and when I invest so that it will not be perceived by others that I used knowledge unavailable to the general public to enrich myself. I think everything said is is good, I just wanted to act as a reminder that sometimes it is easy to cross a line when the perception of where the line is isn't clear.

Tecate
06-02-2019, 02:01 PM
I work for a company and in a position that allows me access to information about deals with other companies. I have to be very careful about what I invest in and when I invest so that it will not be perceived by others that I used knowledge unavailable to the general public to enrich myself. I think everything said is is good, I just wanted to act as a reminder that sometimes it is easy to cross a line when the perception of where the line is isn't clear.

I totally understand and appreciate it. They had us take a couple of courses on things like this. My shift has a plant meeting Tuesday night. You can be guaranteed this subject will arise during that meeting. I may learn some things Tuesday night that I cannot share with anyone. We’ll find out then.

Every plant meeting, there are always those same people you know you can count on to ask what everyone in the auditorium is thinking. They aren’t afraid to ask upper management the hard questions. I’ve never had to open my mouth even once.

Tecate
06-03-2019, 03:00 AM
Cypress (CY) is being bought by Infineon Technologies AG (IFNNY). Our CEO sent out a company wide email an hour and a half ago.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cypress-semicond-m-a-infineon/infineon-to-buy-cypress-semiconductors-in-9-billion-euro-deal-idUSKCN1T40JI?utm_source=applenews

Retread
06-03-2019, 06:43 PM
Woohoo - opened $3 and change over my bid. Missed another one. Oh, well, all of them can’t be autozones.

Tecate
06-03-2019, 09:50 PM
At $23.85 a share, Iím going to make out like a bandit. I paid $10-$12 for the shares I own. That certainly beats a poke in the eye.

The 2 year stock chart for Infineon isnít too impressive looking. In fact, it looks terrible. It may be a great buy when it finds a bottom.

Tecate
07-05-2019, 02:07 PM
I got another 338 shares of Cypress stock for $10.93 each. Lol! The employee stock purchase plan is now over. Cha Ching!

Tecate
03-06-2020, 04:57 AM
I know this is a raggedy old thread but, *ahem* I mean *AHEM!* You gotta love the chip making industry. It’s about as cutthroat as anything out there. Isn’t this special?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-warned-security-risk-infineon-223820672.html

On edit: Our stock hit the shitter yesterday. There’s a reason why I have other assets hidden from everyone. It’s called the none of your goddamn business Tecate retirement plan.

Tecate
03-10-2020, 10:44 AM
I guess the acquisition is back on now. (CY) up almost 46% today. Headed straight for ~$23.85.

The trading day has just started, but you could have almost doubled your money in a matter of hours.

SarasotaRepub
03-10-2020, 11:48 AM
Very nice!!

Tecate
03-13-2020, 01:25 PM
Iím thinking about dumping it all right now. CY will cease to exist sometime this year, and will never go one penny above $23.85 per share. Itís sitting @$23.00 at the moment. There is no reason to believe this agreement is somehow impervious to a market crash. There is no upside to this stock.

Tecate
04-17-2020, 12:38 PM
The deal is sealed. We are now officially Infineon. Who was the last holdout for approval? China.

old dog
04-17-2020, 04:39 PM
Best wishes. I hope your job survives.

Tecate
04-17-2020, 05:10 PM
Best wishes. I hope your job survives.

Iím optimistic about it. I think this merger/acquisition makes us the 6th or 7th largest semiconductor manufacturer in the world. Iíve got an excellent Kraut last name to go along with my work ethics. :biggrin-new:

Tecate
04-26-2020, 05:32 AM
I hear from my D-shift counterpart whom Iíve known for about 30 years, that Infineon gave all of us a raise, right out of the starting gate. It beats a poke in the eye. I canít believe they did that in the midst of all this economic uncertainty. We will also earn more vacation (PTO) than we ever have. Life is good and Iím extremely thankful to be gainfully employed.

old dog
04-26-2020, 10:25 AM
Large German corporations don't hire people, they adopt them. :smile-new:

Tecate
04-26-2020, 10:52 AM
Large German corporations don't hire people, they adopt them. :smile-new:

The semiconductor industry is amazing. The things Iíve seen over the last 30 years... Wow!

SarasotaRepub
04-26-2020, 02:35 PM
Congrats!!!

SaintLouieWoman
04-27-2020, 01:34 AM
Iím optimistic about it. I think this merger/acquisition makes us the 6th or 7th largest semiconductor manufacturer in the world. Iíve got an excellent Kraut last name to go along with my work ethics. :biggrin-new:

Those excellent Kraut last names pay off once in a while! :biggrin-new:

My mother's parents came over on the boat from Germany, good hard-working people.