PDA

View Full Version : Since there ain't no damn gun forum....

crockspot
06-20-2008, 10:55 PM
What is the recommended ammo for defense/concealed carry in a Glock 21? I'm looking for something in the 185 grain range. The CorBon is all +P, and that worries me in the Glock, but the Federal HydraShock I have read is not recommended in the Glock. Any professional recommendations?

By the way, how the hell are y'all? Haven't been around since January or so. I got rid of that commie canadian woman at the end of January, and am living full time in Vermont now. Working at IBM as a sys admin, and have not stepped foot in God-fosaken Canada since I moved my last load out five months ago, although I am only minutes from the border. (Canada makes a great backstop for sighting in your rifle.) I ended up with the dog, the rabbit, the freezer, and the dishwasher, so I think I got the better end of the deal.

Aklover
06-21-2008, 12:55 AM
I'd think you would want more mass in the bullet than speed given that it is a 45acp.

Concealed carry of a G21?

BSR
06-21-2008, 10:06 AM
I'd think you would want more mass in the bullet than speed given that it is a 45acp.

Concealed carry of a G21?

I conceal carry a full size M&P .40, which is just as bulky. I'm also 6'3" and can carry it well. :D

I think the ammo depends on the shooter. Go out to the range and bring a wide selection of choices and find out what works for you. I shot many diffrent brands and settled with the Federal 165 gr HST.

Its the only way.

Vepr
06-21-2008, 11:18 AM
I am no expert or professional but I have not had any problems with Speer Gold Dot.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/default.asp?s1=3&s2=7&s3=6

crockspot
06-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Yes, you can carry a G21 very concealed. I have a Galco Miami Classic jackass horizontal rig that hides it well under a light jacket, though my fat gut makes it a little hard to reach. I also have a TripleK inside-the-pants small of the back holster that does the job well under a hawiian shirt. But here in Vermont, whether or not it is "well" concealed is not really much of an issue. As long as you are not a prohibited person, you can carry openly or concealed pretty much anywhere, no permit required.

asdf2231
06-21-2008, 11:07 PM
One of the joys of a .45 acp is that the round is big enough that the person you hit flat out doesn't care what particular load you are using.

A standard 230 grain round nose is going to work just as good as a fancy hollowpoint load.

It's one of the few calibers that I would feel comfortable using ball ammo for self defense.

Bubba Dawg
06-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Big Ole Bullet.

Really. Other things work. Small and fast. That's cool.

But for me, a Big Ole Bullet every time.