PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Devices: Most Used/Least Used?

Gingersnap
01-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Assume that we aren't talking about the stove, microwave, or knives. What appliance or device gets used a lot in your kitchen? What appliance or device is hardly ever used? Why? What seemed like a good idea but clearly isn't?

Is there any appliance or device that you have eye on for this year? What is it?

patriot45
01-06-2009, 12:17 PM
I use the heck out of my can opener! The food processor and blender get alot of workouts too! As for small stuff, I use an old coffee grinder to grind up spices alot and my veggie peeler is getting worn out!

What I want to get is something that will slice and cut up cheeses easier.

bijou
01-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Since I moved house relatively recently I managed to prune out the most useless gadgets (the juicer being the prime candidate) everything else does get used to a greater or lesser extent; but if I were to do things over again I'd buy a cheaper food processer with fewer attachments because I only use two or three of them.

linda22003
01-06-2009, 04:18 PM
I love my Braun food processor; I had my mother's Cuisinart and gave it away because the Braun is so much better. I inherited a very good stand mixer of hers as well, and hardly ever use it. It's in a closet downstairs.

Gingersnap
01-06-2009, 05:08 PM
I use my mixer every week, at least.

I finally parted with my nifty pasta pot last summer. It had an internal colander and a timer on the lid as well as the cooking times for about 20 kinds of pasta printed right on the pot. Such a good idea!

For people who eat pasta.

I'm just not much of a noodle-eater and when I do get the urge, I usually prefer to make it fresh. I gladly gave it away and haven't missed it even once. :)

Jumpy
01-06-2009, 07:02 PM
I gave away my Showtime Rotisserie. I am thinking that I will not be using the dehydrator either.. I bought it used for a really good price, but I haven't used it even once.

I use my coffee grinder almost everyday to grind nuts and seeds. I use my juicer daily and my blender and food processor weekly. I would LOVE to have the commercial quality vitamix but I don't want to spend over $400 for it.

Space Gravy
01-06-2009, 07:20 PM
With all the nice pre-chopped garlic out there a garlic press is useless and going into the yard sale box.

PoliCon
01-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Most used - Robot coupe food processor (http://www.robotcoupeusa.com/) - beats the trendy french ones hands down if you ask me.

Least used - Potato ricer.

Bubba Dawg
01-06-2009, 07:48 PM
I use a chopper like this a lot. Especially when I make soup:

http://www.viewpoints.com/images/review/2007/125/9/1178375649-63944_full.jpg

Phillygirl
01-06-2009, 07:52 PM
I use a chopper like this a lot. Especially when I make soup:

http://www.viewpoints.com/images/review/2007/125/9/1178375649-63944_full.jpg

I have that chopper! I should use it more, it's a nifty little thing.

I never use my garlic press. Or the pasta maker. Rarely do I use the food processor. Only occasionally do I use the blender or the hand mixer. And the meat tenderizer wooden thingy was only used once, when my niece decided she needed a weapon against her brother. And the knife sharpener...it's like brand new. The crockpot was used precisely 3 times before I broke the lid and threw the whole thing away.

I really need to get an ice cream maker. I'm positive I'll use that a lot!!

Bubba Dawg
01-06-2009, 07:56 PM
I have that chopper! I should use it more, it's a nifty little thing.

I never use my garlic press. Or the pasta maker. Rarely do I use the food processor. Only occasionally do I use the blender or the hand mixer. And the meat tenderizer wooden thingy was only used once, when my niece decided she needed a weapon against her brother. And the knife sharpener...it's like brand new. The crockpot was used precisely 3 times before I broke the lid and threw the whole thing away.

The thing I like about this chopper is how easy it is to use. The thing I hate about food precessors, etc, is how much trouble they can be t clean up.

Space Gravy
01-06-2009, 08:07 PM
I've had one of these (https://www.mynuwaveoven.com/index.asp) for years and I use it all the time.

Phillygirl
01-06-2009, 08:12 PM
The thing I like about this chopper is how easy it is to use. The thing I hate about food precessors, etc, is how much trouble they can be t clean up.

I agree. Plus my food processor is in a closet, in its box, and there is always something on top of it. So just getting to it is a hassle.

PoliCon
01-06-2009, 08:37 PM
The thing I like about this chopper is how easy it is to use. The thing I hate about food precessors, etc, is how much trouble they can be t clean up.you need a robot coupe. They're a peace of cake to clean up :)

PoliCon
01-06-2009, 08:37 PM
I've had one of these (https://www.mynuwaveoven.com/index.asp) for years and I use it all the time.as soon as it says "as seen on TV" I know - I JUST KNOW - I'm not going to buy it. :p

Space Gravy
01-06-2009, 08:43 PM
as soon as it says "as seen on TV" I know - I JUST KNOW - I'm not going to buy it. :p

I had a friend who bought one for his RV. It really does work well.

Gingersnap
01-07-2009, 10:30 AM
I am thinking that I will not be using the dehydrator either.. I bought it used for a really good price, but I haven't used it even once.

See, I use my dehydrator a lot. I buy those rump roasts on sale when they have the BOGO deal and then I use my handy-dandy electric slicer to make jerky. I also make elk jerky with it if anybody got lucky. I'm not a big snack-eater but homemade jerky beats just about any workday snack for me.

I also use the dehydrator to dry cherries. :)

Zeus
01-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Hands down no competition what so ever the kitchen appliance I use the most is my coffee maker. Next up would be either my George Foreman Jr. Rotisserie or the food chopper thing. Microwave perhaps also.

bijou
01-07-2009, 10:56 AM
I gave away my Showtime Rotisserie. I am thinking that I will not be using the dehydrator either.. I bought it used for a really good price, but I haven't used it even once.

I use my coffee grinder almost everyday to grind nuts and seeds. I use my juicer daily and my blender and food processor weekly. I would LOVE to have the commercial quality vitamix but I don't want to spend over $400 for it.

I use my dehydrator a lot. It was great during the tomato/chilli harvest and dried pineapple makes a great sweet snack.

Gingersnap
01-07-2009, 12:58 PM
I use my dehydrator a lot. It was great during the tomato/chilli harvest and dried pineapple makes a great sweet snack.

Chilies! I forgot about that! I used the dehydrator a lot in September for chilies.

Troll
01-07-2009, 03:35 PM
I've only used the Foreman grill twice, the blender maybe once. I looked waaay back in my utensil drawers for this topic, and found an ice cream scoop and an odd-looking corkscrew. I hardly ever eat ice cream and I don't like wine, so those don't get much action either unless there are guests over.

Most used probably goes to the sandwich maker. After that comes the strainer I use for straining yogurt, cucumber, pasta and other canned veggies. I want one of those vegetable choppers and a juicer also, I just keep putting it off.

PoliCon
01-07-2009, 04:05 PM
straining yogurt?????

bijou
01-07-2009, 04:19 PM
straining yogurt?????

Sure, you can make it thicker like Greek yoghurt, or leave it overnight and make it a cream cheese consistency. (I use muslin squares inside and ordinary sieve.)

Troll
01-07-2009, 04:47 PM
straining yogurt?????

http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?t=3563

My first/only recipe thread so far. I'll be posting another before too long.

hampshirebrit
01-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Is there any appliance or device that you have eye on for this year? What is it?

This one:

My toaster died just before Christmas, so I bought a replacement:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC01035.jpg

116. For a toaster, ffs!!! Reduced, after much interwebs searching, normal price 145. (near $300 until the pound tanked, and still way more than a rational person should spend on such a mundane appliance).

But it's a beaut, it is. You can get every single replacement part, and it's built like a tank, so you probably won't even need to. A rarity, a British design icon.

It's even starred (as a toaster) on BSG:

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Image:BSGToaster.jpg#file

So for that reason alone, you owe it to yourself to go and get yourself one ... while you still can.

Jumpy
01-07-2009, 06:56 PM

hmmm... maybe I will keep mine awhile longer.

Gingersnap
01-07-2009, 08:46 PM
This one:

My toaster died just before Christmas, so I bought a replacement:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/hampshirebrit/DSC01035.jpg

116. For a toaster, ffs!!! Reduced, after much interwebs searching, normal price 145. (near $300 until the pound tanked, and still way more than a rational person should spend on such a mundane appliance).

But it's a beaut, it is. You can get every single replacement part, and it's built like a tank, so you probably won't even need to. A rarity, a British design icon.

It's even starred (as a toaster) on BSG:

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Image:BSGToaster.jpg#file

So for that reason alone, you owe it to yourself to go and get yourself one ... while you still can.

Dude, that totally looks like it came from the set of "Brazil". :p

Bubba Dawg
01-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Dude, that totally looks like it came from the set of "Brazil". :p

Maybe it did. We're talkin' Hamps here....:D

RobJohnson
01-08-2009, 04:19 AM

That reminds me, I have a vitamix. Don't think I have used it for 5 years!

I might have to get it out this weekend. I used to use it to make fresh salsa or hot sauce.

RobJohnson
01-08-2009, 04:21 AM

I think that is what I will buy next. I love homemade ice cream.

Teetop
01-08-2009, 04:00 PM
I have always wanted a mandoline (http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/22084-de-buyer-v-pro-mandoline.aspx) and damn it, this year I'm buying one! :D

linda22003
01-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Good choice, Teetop. They are VERY useful (for those who don't think they are a small type of guitar).

Gingersnap
01-08-2009, 04:48 PM
I have always wanted a mandoline (http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/22084-de-buyer-v-pro-mandoline.aspx) and damn it, this year I'm buying one! :D

I do use one from time to time. Mine is German and it will be holding up long after I'm dead, I'm sure. For big slicing jobs (meat, cheese, etc.) you'll want a real electric slicer. Mine paid for itself long ago.

SaintLouieWoman
01-08-2009, 04:59 PM
My most useless was the Martha Stewart potato ricer, which I returned to Macy's. The next most useless was the little mini-scooper (similar to an ice cream scoop) for cookie dough. It's silly, as I don't make cookies that often, but it was on sale for only $2.00.

The most ued items are the coffee maker for SR (I don't drink coffee) and the microwave. I have a new blender that I've never used. I have a Sunbeam hand mixer that had been my mom's that's about 40 years old. It's finally worn out, so will get a new one soon.

Bubba Dawg
01-08-2009, 06:26 PM
I think that is what I will buy next. I love homemade ice cream.

Me too. I make ice cream six or seven times a year. I love it.

Bubba Dawg
01-08-2009, 06:29 PM
My most useless was the Martha Stewart potato ricer, which I returned to Macy's. The next most useless was the little mini-scooper (similar to an ice cream scoop) for cookie dough. It's silly, as I don't make cookies that often, but it was on sale for only $2.00.

The most ued items are the coffee maker for SR (I don't drink coffee) and the microwave. I have a new blender that I've never used. I have a Sunbeam hand mixer that had been my mom's that's about 40 years old. It's finally worn out, so will get a new one soon.

The little scoop is also good for making hushpuppies.

RobJohnson
01-09-2009, 02:43 AM
. I have a Sunbeam hand mixer that had been my mom's that's about 40 years old. It's finally worn out, so will get a new one soon.

Things like that are tough to give up...alot of memories...

I had a blender that was my grandmother's, it had to weigh 40 lbs...I about cried when it quit....

RobJohnson
01-09-2009, 02:45 AM
Me too. I make ice cream six or seven times a year. I love it.

I now have a major craving for it. :mad::D

PoliCon
01-09-2009, 09:10 AM
I do use one from time to time. Mine is German and it will be holding up long after I'm dead, I'm sure. For big slicing jobs (meat, cheese, etc.) you'll want a real electric slicer. Mine paid for itself long ago.Sure - if you're no good with a knife that is . . . . :p

Gingersnap
01-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Sure - if you're no good with a knife that is . . . . :p

I make a lot of jerky and you can't beat a slicer for that job. I also buy bulk cheese and slice it myself. You can save a huge amount of money that way. :)

RobJohnson
01-09-2009, 11:27 AM
I make a lot of jerky and you can't beat a slicer for that job. I also buy bulk cheese and slice it myself. You can save a huge amount of money that way. :)

Yeah, a slicer is good to have.

I have been looking at the new high tech ice cream makers online.

I crave that gritty, course texture of homemade vanillia ice cream!

PoliCon
01-09-2009, 11:12 PM
I make a lot of jerky and you can't beat a slicer for that job. I also buy bulk cheese and slice it myself. You can save a huge amount of money that way. :) very true. And if you are good with a knife - you can cut things just fine. :p But I can see the value of a good slicer . . . .;)

submarinepainter
01-10-2009, 07:50 AM
we have a set it and forget it, we used it once

PoliCon
01-10-2009, 09:42 AM
anytime they have to throw in something free to sweeten the deal - you know your buying junk.