PDA

View Full Version : Awards for the Year's Worst Reporting

Odysseus
01-06-2009, 05:13 PM
The Best Notable Quotables of 2008
The 21st Annual Awards for the Year's Worst Reporting

Explanation
Welcome to the Media Research Center’s annual awards issue, a compilation of the most outrageous and/or humorous news media quotes from 2008 (December 2007 through November 2008). To determine this year’s winners, a panel of 44 radio talk show hosts, magazine editors, columnists, editorial writers, and media observers each selected their choices for the first, second and third best quote from a slate of five to eight quotes in each category.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read the rest here (http://www.mrc.org/notablequotables/bestof/2008/welcome.asp)
Or download the PDF of the quotes here (http://www.mrc.org/notablequotables/bestof/2008/BestofNQ2008.pdf).

There are some doozies. For example:

“Some princes are born in palaces. Some are born in mangers. But a few are born in the imagination, out of scraps of history and hope....Barack Hussein Obama did not win because of the color of his skin. Nor did he win in spite of it. He won because at a very dangerous moment in the life of a still young country, more people than have ever spoken before came together to try to save it. And that was a victory all its own.”
— Time’s Nancy Gibbs, Nov. 17 cover story. [65 points]

Reporter Deborah Solomon: “You helped re-elect Bush in ’04 when you gave $3 million to the Swift Boat campaign to discredit John Kerry’s Vietnam service. Do you regret your involvement?”
Businessman T. Boone Pickens: “Why would I?”
Solomon: “Because it’s such an ugly chapter in American political history.”
Pickens: “Oh, I see. Well, it was true. Everything that went into those ads was the truth.”
Solomon: “Really? I thought it was all invented.”
— From a “Q&A” exchange published in the New York Times Magazine on Sunday, August 3. [72 points]

“As a final crash of self-indulgent nonsense, when the incontrovertible truth of your panoramic and murderous deceit has even begun to cost your political party seemingly perpetual congressional seats....When somebody asks you, sir, about the cooked books and faked threats you foisted on a sincere and frightened nation; when somebody asks you, sir, about your gallant, noble, self-abnegating sacrifice of your golf game so as to soothe the families of the war dead; this advice, Mr. Bush: Shut the hell up! Good night and good luck.”
— MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann in a “Special Comment” on Countdown, May 14. [80 points]

“For Uma Thurman, whose credentials on the subject of sexy are timpeccable, there was no question hat ‘the man’s adorable.’ ‘Of course he’s sexy,’ she said. ‘He seems to be flourishing and following his calling. It’s just the most enviable thing in the world, like watching a beautiful racehorse run.’ Al Gore, sexy man. The thinking girl’s thoroughbred.”
— The Washington Post’s Mary Jordan and Kevin Sullivan in a December 12, 2007

Chris Matthews: “What are you looking for tonight?”
Unidentified college student: “I’d like, I’d like a display of knowledge and expertise.”
Matthews: “So you’re on the Obama side, right?”
— MSNBC’s Hardball, before the October 2 vice presidential debate. [19]
It just goes on and on and on and on...

PoliCon
01-06-2009, 06:04 PM
and the amazing thing is - the left constantly complains that the only bias in media is FoxNews!! :rolleyes: