View Full Version : Deserter ordered to leave Canada

Apocalypse
01-07-2009, 10:54 PM
U.S. woman deserter ordered to leave Canada

Jan 07, 2009 10:50 AM
Comments on this story (61)
Paola Loriggio
Staff Reporter

The first female U.S. Iraq war resister to seek refuge in Canada has been ordered to leave the country before the end of the month or face deportation.

Kimberley Rivera, who served in Iraq in 2006 and fled to Canada in 2007 after refusing redeployment, was told this morning she has until Jan. 27 to return to the U.S., said Michelle Rubidoux of the War Resisters Support Campaign.

"It's ridiculous," said Rubidoux, who accompanied Rivera to her hearing at the Greater Toronto Enforcement Centre on Airport Road.

The decision will force Rivera to uproot her family – her husband Mario and their three children, including their newborn daughter, six-week-old Katie – from their Toronto home. In the U.S., she would also face jail, as desertion is considered a felony.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/562982
--------------------------

So Canada wont be serving as the gateway for all those who run away from doing what they promised to do.

AmPat
01-08-2009, 12:21 AM
Cry me a river.:rolleyes:
http://i43.tinypic.com/b867ug.jpg

PoliCon
01-08-2009, 12:24 AM
The decision will force Rivera to uproot her family her husband Mario and their three children, including their newborn daughter, six-week-old Katie from their Toronto home. In the U.S., she would also face jail, as desertion is considered a felony.THOUGH F*ING SHIT. You made your choice bitch now live with the consiquences of that choice.

JUST THINK - if the stupid bitch had just done her duty as required by the contract she signed - she'd have done a year away and been home again. NOW she's going to spend YEARS in jail away from her kids.

AmPat
01-08-2009, 12:27 AM
THOUGH F*ING SHIT. You made your choice bitch now live with the consiquences of that choice.

JUST THINK - if the stupid bitch had just done her duty as required by the contract she signed - she'd have done a year away and been home again. NOW she's going to spend YEARS in jail away from her kids.

She apparently had no qualms about "uprooting her family" when she chose to desert in 2006.:cool:

Doc Savage
01-08-2009, 01:57 PM
There are all kinds of comments on this story. Lots of canuckistan posters are upset that while the Prime Minister (current) does not support the war, he still supports sending illegal aliens back accross the border. Just can't seem to get their heads around that one.

DU also has a post about this. I think unhappycamper did a thread (one of 100 each day it seems) concerning this. When I saw it, there were no replies, but just give it time.

What will the dummies think when service members take off to canuckistan after the one is sworn in and Iraq and most likly Iran and Darfur become his responsibility. Still going to support people leaving the country to avoid a unlawful military action? Bets anyone?

Full-Auto
01-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Oops.

Why don't I feel sorry for this person?

I wish her husband and children well, and I hope she does hard time for deserting.

Odysseus
01-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Canadian law only permits extradition for violations of foreign laws that are also laws in Canada. Thus, draft-evaders were admitted because there was no draft in Canada at the time, so it wasn't a Canadian law or its equivalent that they were violating. Desertion, however, is illegal in Canada as well as the US, so they have no legal impediment to deporting a deserter.

Desertion is serious business. During wartime, and this is wartime, it's a capital offense. If she's smart, she'll find another country to run to.

submarinepainter
01-08-2009, 06:56 PM
I do not feel the least bit sorry , she signed a contract

wiegenlied
01-08-2009, 07:31 PM
If she's smart, she'll find another country to run to.

If she was smart, she shouldn't have deserted.

PoliCon
01-08-2009, 09:59 PM
If she's smart if she were smart she'd be a conservative. :p

Lars1701a
01-08-2009, 10:02 PM

Well she is a least a bit smart, she aint a steeler fan. :p

PoliCon
01-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Well she is a least a bit smart, she aint a steeler fan. :p :rolleyes:I'm sorry did someone hear a buzzard farting?

Lars1701a
01-08-2009, 10:06 PM
:rolleyes:I'm sorry did someone hear a buzzard farting?

Dont be hating, your boys are going to get knocked out of the playoffs by Baltimore.

Odysseus
01-09-2009, 04:43 PM
I do not feel the least bit sorry , she signed a contract
No argument. In fact, she probably got bonuses and college money, which ought to be immediately subject to collection.

This is true, but I'm sure that she didn't do it in a vaccuum. There had to be lots of anti-war morons who convinced her that she could get away with it because... well, just because. The anti-war movement has been doing everything that they can to encourage desertion. I'd bet that she's got an attorney from some leftist group representing her pro-bono, but don't expect him to put her interests above his group's agenda.

if she were smart she'd be a conservative. :p
Which also means that she wouldn't have deserted.

Dont be hating, your boys are going to get knocked out of the playoffs by Baltimore.
Yeah, like it matters who the Giants beat the in Super Bowl. :D

biccat
01-09-2009, 08:23 PM

:rolleyes:I'm sorry did someone hear a buzzard farting?

As a Lions fan, I would just like to say, I hate you. :mad:

That is all.

Sonnabend
01-09-2009, 09:09 PM
USA football..is that that namby pamby game where they wear all that armour and helmets??

Aussies play rugby league and we dont NEED helmets...must be those soft jock heads

:D:D:D:D

Troll
01-09-2009, 10:04 PM
USA football..is that that namby pamby game where they wear all that armour and helmets??

Aussies play rugby league and we dont NEED helmets...must be those soft jock heads

:D:D:D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a game called 'Australian-rules football' that is similar to, but rougher than rugby? Same thing, different name?

I played rugby in college, and I was given to understand that only complete axe-murders play ARF...as opposed to those of us who just like to pick the wings off flies and hit people. :D

PoliCon
01-09-2009, 11:26 PM

That is all.The lions? Never heard of them.

biccat
01-10-2009, 09:27 AM
The lions? Never heard of them.
They were huge in the preseason.

PoliCon
01-10-2009, 09:45 AM
They were huge in the preseason.what year? :p

AmPat
01-11-2009, 09:14 AM

:D:D
2 things.

1. Heads without brains don't require helmets.

2. Soft girly games don't need helmets and pads. Only full speed, full contact, testosterone overloaded manly-man games need helmets and pads. Proof positive that rugby is for girls while American football requires protection.

It's kinda like; American football is to motorcycles as Rugby is to tricycles.:D

wiegenlied
01-12-2009, 01:42 AM

Goodbye Giants :)

♪ Fly Eagles Fly
On the road to victory ♫

♫ Steelers, Here we go
Pittsburgh's going to the Super Bowl ♪

8 more days and 19 more days to go... steelers VS eagles will offset the inauguration day. :cool:

wiegenlied
01-12-2009, 02:06 AM
Well she is a least a bit smart, she aint a steeler fan. :p

happy birthday there.

Odysseus
01-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a game called 'Australian-rules football' that is similar to, but rougher than rugby? Same thing, different name?

I played rugby in college, and I was given to understand that only complete axe-murders play ARF...as opposed to those of us who just like to pick the wings off flies and hit people. :D
That's nothing compared to Australian Rules Golf. Full contact, you have to chug a Fosters at each tee, and the first guy to pass out is the putting green for everyone else. Don't ask where the cup goes. :eek:

The lions? Never heard of them.
They're the team that would be fed to the Christians if they still had games in Rome. :D

Goodbye Giants :)...
I would comment, but it would not be conducive to good order and discipline.

biccat
01-15-2009, 12:02 PM
what year? :p
Aug 07, 2008 NYG 10 @ DET 13
Aug 17, 2008 DET 27 @ CIN 10
Aug 23, 2008 CLE 6 @ DET 26
Aug 28, 2008 DET 14 @ BUF 6

Which is what makes the rest of the season so depressing :(

PoliCon
01-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Aug 07, 2008 NYG 10 @ DET 13
Aug 17, 2008 DET 27 @ CIN 10
Aug 23, 2008 CLE 6 @ DET 26
Aug 28, 2008 DET 14 @ BUF 6

Which is what makes the rest of the season so depressing :(EVERYTHING about detroit and michigan is depressing.

Apocalypse
02-01-2009, 03:29 AM
Been a while for this topic, and this is a bit older response for what happened to her, but she after the ruling found some one who would listen to her sob story. MSN

"Why I Went AWOL"

Kimberly Rivera spotted the little girl outside the U.S. military base in Baghdad. Just a tiny face in an agitated crowd. Saturday was "claim day," Kim explains, when Iraqi civilians would come to request compensation for things they'd lost in the bombings: Their furniture. Their jewelry. Sometimes their children. The Iraqis had to be checked by American soldiers. "We'd scan them, pat them down. Nobody ever had anything," says Kim, a former Army private.

Kim's soft Texas drawl snags in her throat as she remembers catching sight of the 2-year-old child of war with her family. The girl's dark eyes had locked on Kim. "She was just petrified," Kim says. "She was crying, but there was no sound, just tears flowing out of her eyes. She was shaking. I have no idea what had happened in her little life. All I know is I wasn't seeing her; I was seeing my own little girl. I could imagine my daughter being one of those kids throwing rocks at soldiers, because maybe someone she loved had been killed. That Iraqi girl haunts my soul."

And she changed Kim's life. The nameless child suddenly represented everything that felt wrong about being in uniform, about being in Iraq, for the 26-year-old former Wal-Mart clerk who had joined the military out of economic hardship, hoping to build a better future. Kim had two children and a husband waiting for her back home in Mesquite, TX.

Not long after that day at the Baghdad claims line in late 2006, Kim was on a two-week home leave. But even in the welcoming embrace of her small family, she couldn't let go of the pent-up tensions of the war zone. "I was so crazy, like a roller-coaster car that goes off its tracks and crashes," she says. "Sometimes I'd be pacing or paranoid or a little panicked. Other times, it would be just extreme depression." Kim's thoughts constantly turned to her kids. "It was incredibly emotional. I kept thinking, What if something happened to them? What if there was some emergency and they were hurt? I wouldn't be there for them," she says. "I'd be over in Iraq, just waiting to die."

The possibility of running away didn't occur to Kim at that point. But it did to her husband, Mario. He retreated to his computer, his usual hideout in times of stress. This wasn't the shy, sweet Kim he had known as a teenager; they couldn't go on like this. So Mario began researching antiwar groups and stumbled across the War Resisters Support Campaign in Canada. He sent an e-mail asking if anyone there could help. A former Vietnam War deserter named Lee Zaslofsky responded: Yes.

Read the rest of the sob story.
http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-life/bigger-picture/articlemc.aspx?cp-documentid=14310050&gt1=32001

AHeneen
02-01-2009, 05:21 AM
http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-life/bigger-picture/articlemc.aspx?cp-documentid=14310050&gt1=32001

What a liberal!!! Growing up poor, she and her boyfriend have a child while they work at Wal-Mart. They have a second child...still at Wal-mart. And now that the husband works at McDonalds & the woman is working nights at a bakery and facing deportation and imprisonment...she's having a third child!?!? I'll bet they'll be wanting welfare once the husband/children can return I feel sorry for those children, but half of me feels they should not get a penny from anyone and sleep on the cold streets for such wreckless and irresponsible decisions (children and AWOL).

Constitutionally Speaking
02-01-2009, 08:18 AM

That is all.

Do you mean I am not ALONE!!!!!

Odysseus
02-02-2009, 12:44 PM
I have no idea what had happened in her little life. All I know is I wasn't seeing her; I was seeing my own little girl. I could imagine my daughter being one of those kids throwing rocks at soldiers, because maybe someone she loved had been killed. That Iraqi girl haunts my soul."

So go back and work to make her life better instead of running away and hiding from the world. That's what the rest of us did. I call BS.