PDA

View Full Version : Powerful Solar Storm Could Shut Down U.S. for Months

bijou
01-10-2009, 01:59 PM
A new study from the National Academy of Sciences outlines grim possibilities on Earth for a worst-case scenario solar storm.

Damage to power grids and other communications systems could be catastrophic, the scientists conclude, with effects leading to a potential loss of governmental control of the situation.

The prediction is based in part on a major solar storm in 1859 that caused telegraph wires to short out in the United States and Europe, igniting widespread fires.

link (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,478024,00.html)

On the other hand it may never happen. ;)

PoliCon
01-10-2009, 02:50 PM
link (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,478024,00.html)

On the other hand it may never happen. ;)please. stop pretending like the sun can effect things like climate here on earth. I mean really. :rolleyes:

enslaved1
01-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Well, the Y2K bug was a bust, global warming is walking towards the door, there has to be some great doomsday threat to worry about right?

"A contemporary repetition of the [1859] event would cause significantly more extensive (and possibly catastrophic) social and economic disruptions," the researchers conclude.

Yup, we'll all be in big trouble if the telegraph lines catch on fire again.

bijou
01-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Well, the Y2K bug was a bust, global warming is walking towards the door, there has to be some great doomsday threat to worry about right?

Yup, we'll all be in big trouble if the telegraph lines catch on fire again.

This one is the best 'coming apocalypse' yet. Nothing we can even pretend to do about it, and it will interfere with government bureaucracy too. :D

Bubba Dawg
01-10-2009, 03:21 PM
A Solar Storm of this magnitude could set off the Yellowstone Volcano...:eek:

PoliCon
01-10-2009, 04:22 PM
ONLY if it happens before January 20th . . . .

FlaGator
01-10-2009, 04:34 PM

and make catfish walk!

SarasotaRepub
01-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Weren't they warning about this a year or two ago??? :confused:

Jeeze, just wear sunglasses. :D

Sonnabend
01-10-2009, 10:31 PM
http://downlode.org/Creative/Writing/Notebook/Illustrations/itsatrap.jpg

We cant withstand a solar storm of that magnitude :D:D

noonwitch
01-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Was it predicted by the Mayan calender? Or by Nostradamus?

PoliCon
01-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Was it predicted by the Mayan calender? Or by Nostradamus?Nope - but it might have been predicted by the greatest prophet of our time - AL GORE! BOW BEFORE THE INVENTOR OF THE INTERWEBS!

Troll
01-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Was it predicted by the Mayan calender? Or by Nostradamus?

Beat me to it. I always wondered if the Mayans just got bored and stopped adding dates? I read somewhere that Nostradamus and some fortuneteller from the Dark Ages predicted the world would end on the same day also. Personally, I'll be more worried about looting and riots than rogue stars and planets.

djones520
01-12-2009, 02:19 PM
and make catfish walk!

NOT THE CATFISH!:eek:

I live near the Mississippi River. It's time to stock up on ammo!

Full-Auto
01-12-2009, 02:23 PM
I've been hearing about this for decades... and thus far nothing has happened. I've even read about solar flares destroying satellites... but I've never dropped a call or lost signal to my television due to a solar flare.

Humm...

I think it's a conspiracy to scare us.

djones520
01-12-2009, 04:07 PM
I've been hearing about this for decades... and thus far nothing has happened. I've even read about solar flares destroying satellites... but I've never dropped a call or lost signal to my television due to a solar flare.

Humm...

I think it's a conspiracy to scare us.

Not really.

While I don't get to indepth with Space Weather, I do have enough understanding of it to know that if a solar storm as strong as what happened 160 years ago where to occur, it would probably shut down all the satellites in our sky. A good sized solar flare already can screw our GPS up by quite a bit, and inhibit radio communications. Think of what would happen if a REALLY BAD one where to flare up.

There is no real way to forecast solar storms. We can get a general "feel" for when increased activity is about to occur, but it's really no more reliable then trying to tell with any certainty when the fualt line under San Fran is gonna blow.