PDA

View Full Version : USS George H.W. Bush Commissioned

AHeneen
01-10-2009, 05:02 PM
NORFOLK, Va. It's the perfect gift for an old Navy flier: 1,092 feet of flattop.

"What do you give a guy who has been blessed and has just about everything he has ever needed?" asked President George W. Bush from aboard the Navy's newest ship. "Well, an aircraft carrier."

The USS George H.W. Bush, a steel-gray vessel longer than three football fields and built at a cost of $6.2 billion, was commissioned Saturday with its namesake, the 41st president, and other members of the Bush family on hand for the ceremonies at Naval Station Norfolk.

Adorned for the day with red, white and blue bunting, the USS George H.W. Bush is one of the Nimitz class of nuclear-powered aircraft carriers, the largest warships in the world...
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479087,00.html

PoliCon
01-10-2009, 05:09 PM
so do you think they'll name a submarine after clinton like they did Carter? It was very apprapriate that they named a sub after someone who nearly sunk this nation - AND since Clinton is famous for having interns polish his torpedo . . . . naming a sub after him would also be appropriate.

Lars1701a
01-10-2009, 05:13 PM
so do you think they'll name a submarine after clinton like they did Carter? It was very apprapriate that they named a sub after someone who nearly sunk this nation - AND since Clinton is famous for having interns polish his torpedo . . . . naming a sub after him would also be appropriate.

I am trying to picture what they are going to name after the Magic Negro leaves office.

Bet the Dummies head are a espodling right now :)

AHeneen
01-10-2009, 05:16 PM

I almost died reading that! Yes, but is there a law that every president must have a vessel named after him? If not, Clinton does not deserve the honor of a vessel named after him...for aforesaid reasons.

AHeneen
01-10-2009, 05:23 PM
I am trying to picture what they are going to name after the Magic Negro leaves office.
A nuclear bomb...we constantly speculate if it is in the hands of Muslim terrorists, it is a one-hit wonder, it is feared by most, loved only by some, it is controlled by a handful of people and can be used for intentions most disagree with...and it can get away with it, it causes complete and utter destruction, it can lead to panic...but most importantly, it's heart (core) is black & cold! :D

Yup, the "Magic Negroe"...the largest "bomb" the US has ever created!! :D

Bubba Dawg
01-10-2009, 05:45 PM

For Clinton it really is a shame that there's already been a USS Tang.

Bubba Dawg
01-10-2009, 05:48 PM
OMG. ROFLMAO.

The USS Blower All the best of Bill's potential ship names have been taken. :D

For Real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Blower_(SS-325)

PoliCon
01-10-2009, 05:52 PM
OMG. ROFLMAO.

The USS Blower All the best of Bill's potential ship names have been taken. :D

For Real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Blower_(SS-325)
we're not looking for a boat that he'll LIKE - we're trying to figure out what class of boat will have his name on it. SHEESH. :rolleyes:

PoliCon
01-10-2009, 05:53 PM
The USS Hillary Rhodam Clinton would have been a garbage scowl . . ;)

SarasotaRepub
01-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Smooth sailing to her and all aboard. :)

Bubba Dawg
01-10-2009, 06:01 PM
we're not looking for a boat that he'll LIKE - we're trying to figure out what class of boat will have his name on it. SHEESH. :rolleyes:

Oh.

Dang. :D

SaintLouieWoman
01-10-2009, 09:07 PM
I almost died reading that! Yes, but is there a law that every president must have a vessel named after him? If not, Clinton does not deserve the honor of a vessel named after him...for aforesaid reasons.
Clinton was never in the military. Although I strongly dislike Carter, he was and it made more sense for him to be so honored.

If they named a carrier after Clinton, it would be a greyt disservice to the military.

Moon
01-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Comedic responses aside, I think this is a great honor for the former President. I can't imagine the thrill it would be to have an aircraft carrier named for you!

Bubba Dawg
01-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Comedic responses aside, I think this is a great honor for the former President. I can't imagine the thrill it would be to have an aircraft carrier named for you!

Absolutely true. I was hiking the Bartram Trail in North Georgia last year and met a guy on Rabun Bald who was working on the GHWB. I think he said he was a welder. Anyway, he was very very proud of his work.

And rightly so.

rjas77
01-11-2009, 02:49 AM
Clinton's wil be a Cruiser

AHeneen
01-11-2009, 02:55 AM
Clinton's wil be a Cruiser

Meh...how about a destroyer? The USS Blue Dress.

Speedy
01-11-2009, 07:08 AM
I actually watched the ship being commissioned yesterday and was overwhelmed by the customs and traditions of how it is done. It was pretty emotional.

Aprilrazz
01-11-2009, 01:29 PM
I have to thank them for doing the commissioning yesterday. I had to go to the commissary and the lines were nice and short at NOB.:p

YupItsMe
01-12-2009, 03:10 PM
My dream is that in about 4 years they will commission the USS "W" Hopefully it will have a pair of cowboy boots painted on the side of the bridge. The heads "asplodin" at DU would be so much fun, I'd probably take the day off to read them all day. :D

PoliCon
01-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Clinton's wil be a CruiserNow see I was thinking Trawler . . . .

Bubba Dawg
01-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Now see I was thinking Trawler . . . .

Mine Sweeper.....?