PDA

View Full Version : Are we the mirror of DU?

Phillygirl
01-11-2009, 12:48 PM
CNN, You Must Be Doing Something Right

While conservatives hate MSNBC and liberals hate Fox News, both agree on one thing -- CNN is biased against them!

This is a story of two internet message boards, each a mirror image of the other, and their attitudes toward CNN in specific, and the media in general. Conservative Underground (CU) is, as its name implies, a conservative board on which members extol the virtues of God (of the Christian variety, of course -- no Muzzies, as they say, allowed), Guns, and unregulated free markets; Democratic Underground (DU) is a liberal board on which members swear by government handouts, social engineering through financial incentives and penalties, and state-controlled economies.

Full Disclosure: I've been banned from both boards (twice!). In the case of DU the last banning resulted from me suggesting that communism wasn't especially beneficial to Eastern Europe and, in the case of CU, it was for espousing the view that Sarah Palin wasn't particularly the sharpest knife in the drawer, particularly regarding international affairs.

Both boards are eerily similar in their attitudes and methods with only their respective agendas differing from extreme right to extreme left. Both believe in the right of government to interfere in people's lives -- CU in the enforcement of Christian morals and DU in the enforcement of social equality. Posters expressing opposing views are normally insulted via ad hominem attacks, in clear violation of the rules of the board, a fact ignored by sympathetic moderators and administrators (see Addendum). Indeed, an odd symmetry exists between the two, even in terms of their relationship to one another. CU has an entire forum, one of its most popular, dedicated to mocking posts and posters at DU; DU has a board-wide rule that CU is not to be discussed, or even have its name mentioned by any poster.
While both are suspicious of the media in general -- either the "evil liberal media" or the "corporate-sponsored media" depending upon the board -- both do have their media idols. CU worships at the alter of Fox News, its dieties manifesting themselves as Shaun Hannity and Bill O'Reilly, while MSNBC, with its resident gods of Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow, provides spiritual guidance to those at DU; similarly, on talk radio, it's Rush Limbaugh vs Randi Rhodes; among print opinion columnists, it's Ann Coulter vs Paul Krugman; and so on, ad nauseam.

Link (http://www.madder-music.blogspot.com/)

I disagree, of course. Take for example, the claim that we worship at the altar of Fox News. I watch it for about 1/2 hour per day. Mostly for some entertainment in the morning. I haven't watched O'Reilly on a regular basis in almost 2 years. Am I the exception on here, or the rule?

Jumpy
01-11-2009, 01:14 PM
I have often thought the extremes on both sides were mirror images of each other. Interesting read.

MrsSmith
01-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Talk about sour grapes! :rolleyes: While I agree that we generally have the opposite view on many issues, the rabid hatred of DU is completely missing here, as is the kind of "thought" pattern exposed in their spirituality forum.

Beyond that, if I were actually to "worship" any news source, it would probably be Drudge...though Fox is OK...and strangely enough, the actual news on NPR is fairly balanced. (Not the opinions, however...they occasionally resemble the DUmp.)

megimoo
01-11-2009, 01:31 PM

I disagree, of course. Take for example, the claim that we worship at the altar of Fox News. I watch it for about 1/2 hour per day. Mostly for some entertainment in the morning. I haven't watched O'Reilly on a regular basis in almost 2 years. Am I the exception on here, or the rule?

It's about the same with me .I watch little news or any talkshows on the tube.I do enjoy some Sci Fi or sit with my wife and watch her viewing once in a while but never CNN,MSNBC or the rest of the national brainwashing news TV.

I do watch some Fox in passing from one to another ,some Gretta,and once in a great while Fox and Friends . I have given up on reading the newspapers the only reason we still have one is for local events .Much of what little T.V. I enjoy is the cooking channel or a show about a cooking school .All of the real facts are available here on the net and can be sifted and sorted until I have a fair approximation of what really happened without all of the spin !

megimoo
01-11-2009, 01:36 PM

I disagree, of course. Take for example, the claim that we worship at the altar of Fox News. I watch it for about 1/2 hour per day. Mostly for some entertainment in the morning. I haven't watched O'Reilly on a regular basis in almost 2 years. Am I the exception on here, or the rule?That has to be our old friend C.W !

Read his bio and see if it fits according to what he has exposed of himself on CU ?

Phillygirl
01-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Talk about sour grapes! :rolleyes: While I agree that we generally have the opposite view on many issues, the rabid hatred of DU is completely missing here, as is the kind of "thought" pattern exposed in their spirituality forum.

Beyond that, if I were actually to "worship" any news source, it would probably be Drudge...though Fox is OK...and strangely enough, the actual news on NPR is fairly balanced. (Not the opinions, however...they occasionally resemble the DUmp.)

Drudge is probably the only news source that I consistently try to look at. It used to be daily, but now not so much, only because most of what would interest me is usually posted here or at another political website that I frequent.

I don't listen to NPR, but have been meaning to, as I've heard others comment that the news portions are fairly balanced.

Bubba Dawg
01-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Dowson has a fascinating blog.

I watch the Sunday morning program with Britt Hume. That's about it for Fox for me.

I also watch The George Poppadropalus Show to get to see George Will. Most of my news and opinion I get from reading publications on the Internet. I read a mix of liberal and conservative websites. I also get regular email info from liberal and conservative sites. I like to read a variety of sources.

I'm not a social conservative. I am a philosophical conservative and a fiscal conservative.

I don't believe philosophical/fiscal conservatives can win elections without the social conservatives. Also:

I don't believe social conservatives can win elections without the philosophical/fiscal conservatives.

CU does, and should, represent conservative positions.

DU does, and should, represent liberal, or they might say, progressive positions.

The difference is, as I see it, that DU does not allow free discourse and does not tolerate much in the way of diversity of opinion. DU is sort of like a communist re-education camp in that respect.

I think that CU does allow, even encourages, diversity of opinion. I remember Eyelids, Arcade Fire, and others who represented very different points-of-view. Also, there are posters here who aren't supporters of the Religious Right. The way that I look at it is that social and fiscal-conservatives need to work together to win elections.

CU'ers are, generally, a very combative lot and it is more of a free-for-all atmosphere. And then there is Thunderdome.

Space Gravy
01-11-2009, 02:17 PM
The biggest difference will always be a different point of view is not tolerated there. You are automatically banned if you are a Republican or a conservative.

Space Gravy
01-11-2009, 02:17 PM
I have often thought the extremes on both sides were mirror images of each other. Interesting read.

On some issues I think you're right.

megimoo
01-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Dowson has a fascinating blog.

I watch the Sunday morning program with Britt Hume. That's about it for Fox for me.

I also watch The George Poppadropalus Show to get to see George Will. Most of my news and opinion I get from reading publications on the Internet. I read a mix of liberal and conservative websites. I also get regular email info from liberal and conservative sites. I like to read a variety of sources.

I'm not a social conservative. I am a philosophical conservative and a fiscal conservative.

I don't believe philosophical/fiscal conservatives can win elections without the social conservatives. Also:

I don't believe social conservatives can win elections without the philosophical/fiscal conservatives.

CU does, and should, represent conservative positions.

DU does, and should, represent liberal, or they might say, progressive positions.

The difference is, as I see it, that DU does not allow free discourse and does not tolerate much in the way of diversity of opinion. DU is sort of like a communist re-education camp in that respect.

I think that CU does allow, even encourages, diversity of opinion. I remember Eyelids, Arcade Fire, and others who represented very different points-of-view. Also, there are posters here who aren't supporters of the Religious Right. The way that I look at it is that social and fiscal-conservatives need to work together to win elections.

CU'ers are, generally, a very combative lot and it is more of a free-for-all atmosphere. And then there is Thunderdome.
The thunderdome isn't as it was .When the fire ran free and the verbage tended to the obscene with some.It has lost much of it's fire and fierceness .

They,some of the more dedicated mods, would stage false fights in the dome just to keep their 'hands' in !

There was a time when a summons to the 'dome' was a sentence to a major ass kicking but no more.Some of the past dome sessions went on for several weeks as the infamous Terr/Gator bout concerning Terr's past membership in the IDF and his support of Israel.That one ending in a draw but with a 'temporary' banning of Terr but he never to return.

Bubba Dawg
01-11-2009, 02:28 PM
The thunderdome isn't as it was .When the fire ran free and the verbage tended to the obscene with some.It has lost much of it's fire and fierceness .

They,some of the more dedicated mods, would stage false fights in the dome just to keep their 'hands' in !

There was a time when a summons to the 'dome' was a sentence to a major ass kicking but no more.Some of the past dome sessions went on for several weeks as the infamous Terr/Gator bout concerning Terr's past membership in the IDF and his support of Israel.That one ending in a draw but with a 'temporary' banning of Terr but he never to return.

Those Epic Dome threads were before my time. Sounds pretty interesting.

The last Dome thread I started was about something that happened in the Jukebox. As such, it had more than a dab of humor in it but nothing came of it. I took some ribbing about it. :D

megimoo
01-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Those Epic Dome threads were before my time. Sounds pretty interesting.

The last Dome thread I started was about something that happened in the Jukebox. As such, it had more than a dab of humor in it but nothing came of it. I took some ribbing about it. :D
Some here remember some real crash and burn thunderDome sessions.As I remember some members have a natural 'layback' talent for it.The making for a 'good' thunderdome session IMHO are some passion ,some hatred over a past perceived slight is a good start .

Some raw female screaming type emotion with or without a modicum of cuss words is also part of a good mix.Now for longevity I would recommend one of the party's have a standoff kind of sense of humor and sort of lead the emotional one along into full breakdown mode for maximum third party enjoyment .

A critter like eyelid or whatever his face wasn't much fun in the dome by reason of stupidity and he was was more interested in destroying what ever conservative cohesion there was in a thread.He saw himself as dithering force to keep the thread/conservations in total disarray and off point .

CW was much the same but much more intelligent than eyelash but then again that's easy to do .

Phillygirl
01-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Some here remember some real crash and burn thunderDome sessions.As I remember some members have a natural 'layback' talent for it.The making for a 'good' thunderdome session IMHO are some passion ,some hatred over a past perceived slight is a good start .

Some raw female screaming type emotion with or without a modicum of cuss words is also part of a good mix.Now for longevity I would recommend one of the party's have a standoff kind of sense of humor and sort of lead the emotional one along into full breakdown mode for maximum third party enjoyment .

A critter like eyelid or whatever his face wasn't much fun in the dome by reason of stupidity and he was was more interested in destroying what ever conservative cohesion there was in a thread.He saw himself as dithering force to keep the thread/conservations in total disarray and off point .

CW was much the same but much more intelligent than eyelash but then again that's easy to do .

Punk kid was good for that. For those that are unsure, he did not play the role of female emotionality.

hampshirebrit
01-11-2009, 04:03 PM

I disagree, too. There is a fringe group of members on CU which does its share of worshipping at the Fox News altar, but this is not representative of the membership as a whole.

CU maintains a far better standard of moderation than does DU, thus enabling good debate, at times. The Baal thread, which became a discussion on abortion, is a good recent example of that.

The author of the quote referenced in the OP (it is CW) is incorrect in his assessment of the reason why he was banned, which was not for derogatory comments made about Sarah Palin.

SarasotaRepub
01-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Hey CW, Fuck you. :D:p

Moon
01-11-2009, 06:22 PM

I'm with you. I rarely watch O'Reilly or anything else on Fox. In the morning, I prefer to watch Morning Joe on MSNBC. Fox's morning lineup is abysmal.

SaintLouieWoman
01-11-2009, 06:27 PM

Believe me, as SR used to say about Gator, "he's a peach". Believe me, SR is a peach. :D He's just giving a little "Jersey talk".

The author of the quote referenced in the OP (it is CW) is incorrect in his assessment of the reason why he was banned, which was not for derogatory comments made about Sarah Palin

Hamp is right, but don't know why this all has to be dragged up again. :rolleyes: As far as our not all worshipping at the altar of Fox News or Newsmax, they're right. But no need to drag it all back up about CW or wear those little black armbands.

And 24 is on Fox in less than 2 hours. Need to get dinner on now so SR won't miss one minute of 24. See ya.

Phillygirl
01-11-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm with you. I rarely watch O'Reilly or anything else on Fox. In the morning, I prefer to watch Morning Joe on MSNBC. Fox's morning lineup is abysmal.

I've got to remember to switch over to Morning Joe. He is good. But I do enjoy Fox and Friends...not necessarily for the hard news value, just for some entertainment. Except for the daffy blonde. She's freaking annoying. Shepherd Smith isn't bad for a 7:00 p.m. wrap up. Greta lost me once the girl in Aruba went missing.

Jumpy
01-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Believe me, as SR used to say about Gator, "he's a peach". Believe me, SR is a peach. :D He's just giving a little "Jersey talk".

Hamp is right, but don't know why this all has to be dragged up again. :rolleyes: As far as our not all worshipping at the altar of Fox News or Newsmax, they're right. But no need to drag it all back up about CW or wear those little black armbands.

And 24 is on Fox in less than 2 hours. Need to get dinner on now so SR won't miss one minute of 24. See ya.I need to find a wife like you! ;)

Troll
01-11-2009, 06:41 PM
From what I've heard about Freak Republic, it's a lot more like DU than CU is. As to the claim that Muslims aren't allowed to post here, I don't know what the writer is talking about. That is neither a written or a de facto rule. I think lately, the ban hammer is being dropped a little too capriciously, a la DU, but CU overall has done nothing but improve in the last 3 years.

I think the creation of the 'other board' was the best thing to ever happen to CU, because by and large, it seemed to draw away the worst 1% of CU posters. We lost a few great members, but for the most part, it encompassed the following demographics: those who average a thousand posts a month and thought they were brilliant, those who questioned the patriotism of those of us who don't tow the party line, and those who had nothing to contribute besides "what's his DU name", sometimes as much as twice per thread.

The Thunderdome has been toned down a lot, which is actually a big surprise to me. I figured we would be having no end of Obama supporters dropping by to wag their new graven image in front of our noses. I guess that will pick up again later, but we've had enough awesome Thunderdome threads and trolls in the past. Kekkonen, Frankly Speaking, the RP supporters, Davocrat, Eyelids, the list is endless.

Back to the CU = DU premise - I don't buy it. I think we're pretty nice (comparatively) to 'the other side' here, and for the most part, you have to work to get banned here. And let's all not forget the biggest difference between CU and DU: "Democratic" is a political party, "conservative" is a way of life. Our spectrum of ideas here is ten times what DU's is.

Jumpy
01-11-2009, 06:49 PM
I think the creation of the 'other board' was the best thing to ever happen to CU, because by and large, it seemed to draw away the worst 1% of CU posters. We lost a few great members, but for the most part, it encompassed the following demographics: those who average a thousand posts a month and thought they were brilliant, those who questioned the patriotism of those of us who don't tow the party line, and those who had nothing to contribute besides "what's his DU name", sometimes as much as twice per thread.

. Soooo.... what's your DU name? :D ;)

patriot45
01-11-2009, 06:49 PM
From what I've heard about Freak Republic, it's a lot more like DU than CU is. As to the claim that Muslims aren't allowed to post here, I don't know what the writer is talking about. That is neither a written or a de facto rule. I think lately, the ban hammer is being dropped a little too capriciously, a la DU, but CU overall has done nothing but improve in the last 3 years.

The Thunderdome has been toned down a lot, which is actually a big surprise to me. I figured we would be having no end of Obama supporters dropping by to wag their new graven image in front of our noses. I guess that will pick up again later, but we've had enough awesome Thunderdome threads and trolls in the past. Kekkonen, Frankly Speaking, the RP supporters, Davocrat, Eyelids, the list is endless.

Back to the CU = DU premise - I don't buy it. I think we're pretty nice (comparatively) to 'the other side' here, and for the most part, you have to work to get banned here. And let's all not forget the biggest difference between CU and DU: "Democratic" is a political party, "conservative" is a way of life. Our spectrum of ideas here is ten times what DU's is.

Way to go, great post!

K $ R ! :D

Troll
01-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Soooo.... what's your DU name? :D ;)

WILLIAM RIVERS PITT!!!!

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/funny-pictures-ambush-cat.jpg

Jumpy
01-11-2009, 07:25 PM
WILLIAM RIVERS PITT!!!!

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/funny-pictures-ambush-cat.jpg

haha!!! Good answer.

SaintLouieWoman
01-11-2009, 08:14 PM

Beautifully said. :)

Someone has to work very, very hard here to get banned. In all the years that I've been here, there haven't been that many banned.

RobJohnson
01-12-2009, 01:25 AM
I don't even get Fox news, let alone watch it!

Addendum: In fairness to Conservative Underground, the corresponding idealogical extreme to Democratic Underground was previously the ultra-right Free Republic. It has only been recently that, with a change in the administration of CU and the disappointment in the recent elections, CU has taken on all of the attributes of DU. There are still a few members (and mods) who do not mirror their leftist counterparts

Poor CW.......:D

marinejcksn
01-12-2009, 01:47 AM
Quote:

Conservative Underground (CU) is, as its name implies, a conservative board on which members extol the virtues of God (of the Christian variety, of course -- no Muzzies, as they say, allowed),

OK, first off...when has anyone here ever shoved Christian beliefs down other people's throats and said no "Muzzies" allowed? What the Hell is a Muzzie? Is he/she trying to say Muslim? I don't ever recall people here bashing Muslims other then those who support or envoke terrorism. In fact, I've personally read several posts praising moderate Muslims who stand against all the terrorist BS.

CU worships at the alter of Fox News, its dieties manifesting themselves as Shaun Hannity and Bill O'Reilly

2nd...who the &*%$ here "worships" at the alter of Faux News? While I'll be the first to admit, I enjoy Hannity and think he's spot on about a lot of things, I personally feel O'Reilly is an ass-clown Backbencher. So now this moron just generalizes our entire site based on a few Neo-Cons who might be in our midst?:rolleyes:

Lemmie tell you what I think most of us are about, and it's nothing like this dope thinks. We're for the Constitution. Rule of Law. The Bill of Rights. We're about freedom from Government intervention in every area that the Constitution doesn't authorize. We're against the Nanny State. We don't care what color you are, what religion you are, what sex you are or if you're gay or straight: if you're for Freedom and Equality and want to stop the road to Liberalism, a soft Tyranny and ultimately Despotism, we'll welcome you with open arms. We're not for giving Liberals a free ride here. We're here to call them on every lie they tell and to look at things from an open-minded perspective. We don't censor or ban people just because they speak out against our beliefs. We're nothing like DU.

djones520
01-12-2009, 08:49 AM

You always came across to me as an asshole, but this really confirmed it. The "other board" was a direct creation of Gator's power trip an unjustified banning of many good members of this forum. His abuse of his powers is what caused those great members to leave. It really didn't help that when some decided they'd rather not post in a forum where they can be banned for disagreeing with an anti-semite, that they where mocked and ridiculed by others here. The infamous "sex and booze crowd" comment, and others like it is what drove members like Franksolich away.

One year later now, many of those people who left here to go there, are posting here again. On top of that, people from here post there, including Sarasota and StLouisWoman. The hatchet has long been buried by most, but I must say I've seen more people bring the issue up over here lately, then I've seen over there in a long time.

The worst 1% of CU was people like Gator, CW, and LogansPapa. And thankfully, the cool level headed people who now run this place have driven them out.

Phillygirl
01-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Quote:

Conservative Underground (CU) is, as its name implies, a conservative board on which members extol the virtues of God (of the Christian variety, of course -- no Muzzies, as they say, allowed),

OK, first off...when has anyone here ever shoved Christian beliefs down other people's throats and said no "Muzzies" allowed? What the Hell is a Muzzie? Is he/she trying to say Muslim? I don't ever recall people here bashing Muslims other then those who support or envoke terrorism. In fact, I've personally read several posts praising moderate Muslims who stand against all the terrorist BS.

CU worships at the alter of Fox News, its dieties manifesting themselves as Shaun Hannity and Bill O'Reilly

2nd...who the &*%$ here "worships" at the alter of Faux News? While I'll be the first to admit, I enjoy Hannity and think he's spot on about a lot of things, I personally feel O'Reilly is an ass-clown Backbencher. So now this moron just generalizes our entire site based on a few Neo-Cons who might be in our midst?:rolleyes:

Lemmie tell you what I think most of us are about, and it's nothing like this dope thinks. We're for the Constitution. Rule of Law. The Bill of Rights. We're about freedom from Government intervention in every area that the Constitution doesn't authorize. We're against the Nanny State. We don't care what color you are, what religion you are, what sex you are or if you're gay or straight: if you're for Freedom and Equality and want to stop the road to Liberalism, a soft Tyranny and ultimately Despotism, we'll welcome you with open arms. We're not for giving Liberals a free ride here. We're here to call them on every lie they tell and to look at things from an open-minded perspective. We don't censor or ban people just because they speak out against our beliefs. We're nothing like DU.
By and large I agree with you, except with regards to the bolded. I think a lot of people here, perhaps not the majority, but certainly a very vocal number, have huge issues with anyone who is not heterosexual.

One of my issues with the Republican Party in general is that it allows itself to get sucked into that dividing line, and I personally don't see where that should be in play at the federal level. "Rights" with respect to gay marriage, partnership benefits, etc., should be determined primarily at the state level. I think we hurt our cause at the federal level by being involved in such things.

gator
01-12-2009, 10:11 AM
You always came across to me as an asshole, but this really confirmed it. The "other board" was a direct creation of Gator's power trip an unjustified banning of many good members of this forum. His abuse of his powers is what caused those great members to leave. It really didn't help that when some decided they'd rather not post in a forum where they can be banned for disagreeing with an anti-semite, that they where mocked and ridiculed by others here. The infamous "sex and booze crowd" comment, and others like it is what drove members like Franksolich away.

One year later now, many of those people who left here to go there, are posting here again. On top of that, people from here post there, including Sarasota and StLouisWoman. The hatchet has long been buried by most, but I must say I've seen more people bring the issue up over here lately, then I've seen over there in a long time.

The worst 1% of CU was people like Gator, CW, and LogansPapa. And thankfully, the cool level headed people who now run this place have driven them out.

I never banned anyone for personal disagreements. In fact I encouraged the disagreements, big time. I banned some dickheads when their personal disagreements with me flowed over into being a problem with the board, which happen in a few cases. These people donít take responsibility for their own actions and defined the banning in terms of me but that is not the reality.

Anti Semitism by me only resides in the mind of those that cannot defend the immorality and brutality of the apartheid Israeli government. The same country that attacked America and did tremendous damage to our national security through espionage. I make no apologies for explaining the moral clarity of the reasons why the US should not be involved in the support of Israel, which is a political debate, not a religious or ethnic discussion. You are just too goddamn in love with Israel to understand the difference and that is pathetic.

During my time on CU, which goes back almost to Day One, several people left and started their own forum. Some did it because they just wanted to give it a try and that was fine. Many of us joined these other sites, myself included. However, one group of pussies got all bent out of shape because not everybody on CU was towing the NeoCon line. They didnít like to be challenged by someone that could actually articulate what was wrong with New Conservatism so they started their own forum. No problem there until they started to undermine CU by deliberately starting trouble with postings and raiding the membership. Several people got banned over that but it wasnít for their views but the trouble they caused on CU. They are the 1% that it is better that they are not on CU anymore. They can have their little NeoCon love fest site and donít have to worry about being challenged.

I stepped down as an Admin and except for this single post and a few playful jabs at Patriot45 in the recipe forums I donít post much anymore. I made the decision to do this so that CU can reach a comfort level. A level that does not include being challenged hard on Liberalism and Neo-Conservatism because I donít think many people, like yourself, can handle it. You are too fucking immature and like the example in the anti Semite statement above, when pushed in a corner go off the deep end. Because of that we will be hard put to have the old rip roaring discussion that went 1,000 posts. Most people like a more docile CU. A more nurturing and caring CU.

I am not going to respond when you post your stupid reply to this so have it. I could care less about your ideas of CU. I only plan to make one other entry in the next few weeks. I plan to do my annual Martin Luther King Jr Day memorial tribute. I usually post recipes in honor of the great man and discuss the celebration of the national holiday.

biccat
01-12-2009, 10:14 AM
QFT.

CW was a plague on this board, the fact that it took him (and his comrade in arms Eyelids) so long to get banned is a great example of the tolerance at this site, especially relative to DU.

Wasn't there a fly-by-night liberal poster here who wanted to prove to us that DU was more tolerant? His experiment consisted of creating an account at DU and advocating a few mildly conservative positions. He didn't make it past 10 posts. On the other hand, liberal posters like CW and Eyelids can come here, spout their nonsense, and as long as they abide by the rules (or in CW's case break the rules for 6 months), they can stay.

There's also the obligatory grave dancing at DU which finds no parallel at CU.

As for whether CNN is left or right wing, that may depend on your perspective. But it is obviously an anti-American organization which broadcasts propaganda fed to it by our enemies.

...and for those that have any doubt that this is CW, all you have to do is look at the front page. He has the same "antique" (third grader's art project) posted there that he claimed to have spent bazillions of dollars on in France.

linda22003
01-12-2009, 10:26 AM
...and for those that have any doubt that this is CW, all you have to do is look at the front page.

That who is CW?? :confused:

Lager
01-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Cold Warrior always seemed fairly intelligent to me. I'm rather disappointed in his assessment of the board, but not surprised. He arrived here with the notion that conservatives were religious zealots and hypocritical, found a few instances where that was the case, and used those to support his inflexible opinion.

Sometimes, when one becomes intoxicated by travel, or in the immersion of grand works of literature, one developes a sense of "refinement" that makes it impossible to understand the nuance of those who hold conservative opinions. It's easier to ridicule them as "backward hicks" or hold that their morals and attitudes are based on a primitive infatuation with a superstitiious religion, rathen than the result of experience or careful thought. When I first traveled to and spent time in Europe, I too came back excited with the contrasts between the culture of such an old and interesting place and my relatively young country. I probably bored a lot of my friends and family with stories illustrating how cool and hip Europe was, how the beer was just awesome, and how great the customs of the people there were, compared to us. I still love the place, and love to travel there, but I love this place too. The only difference now is that I find it easier to see the good and bad in everything. I also found that sometimes when you look a little deeper you see reasons and values, ideas and motivations that aren't always readily apparent on the surface.

Since CW is fond of literature, I wonder if he remembers the "The Great Gatsby". I recall a scene of a library in Gatsby's place. There were all thest great books on display so one could judge how refined Gatsby's tastes were. The only problem was that the pages of those books were never cut, so it would have been impossible for one to have read them.

biccat
01-12-2009, 11:06 AM
That who is CW?? :confused:

The blogger.

linda22003
01-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "the blogger". On CU?

Phillygirl
01-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "the blogger". On CU?

The blogger that is quoted in the OP.

PoliCon
01-12-2009, 11:53 AM
I have often thought the extremes on both sides were mirror images of each other. Interesting read.okay . . . so um . . . where are the rioting violent radical Molotov cocktail throwing conservatives at?
:rolleyes:

PoliCon
01-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Hey CW, Fuck you. :D:pPREACH IT!

PoliCon
01-12-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm with you. I rarely watch O'Reilly or anything else on Fox. In the morning, I prefer to watch Morning Joe on MSNBC. Fox's morning lineup is abysmal.what tiome zone are you in? I love Fox and friends. :) They amuse.

linda22003
01-12-2009, 11:58 AM
The blogger that is quoted in the OP.

oh, okay. I see it now. Yes, of course that's CW's blog; he named it after the poet Dowson, who wrote the poem he quotes from in his title - "Non sum qualis eram bonae sum qualis Cynarae".

PoliCon
01-12-2009, 12:01 PM
oh, okay. I see it now. Yes, of course that's CW's blog; he named it after the poet Dowson, who wrote the poem he quotes from in his title - "Non sum qualis eram bonae sum qualis Cynarae".and he proves once again that he is an elitist.

linda22003
01-12-2009, 12:17 PM
and he proves once again that he is an elitist.

Why? Because the title's in Latin? It's a very famous poem, whether you're familiar with it or not. ;)

biccat
01-12-2009, 12:20 PM
oh, okay. I see it now. Yes, of course that's CW's blog; he named it after the poet Dowson, who wrote the poem he quotes from in his title - "Non sum qualis eram bonae sum qualis Cynarae".
Hm, college dropout, spent most of his time drinking and spending other people's money, lusted after an 11 year old girl, died penniless and drunk in a friend's shack.

Good role model. :rolleyes:

BSR
01-12-2009, 12:26 PM

Your admin came here, tried to pick two different fights with me in the Dome, then disappeared. It's brought up on both sides and is retarded when it is.

linda22003
01-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Hm, college dropout, spent most of his time drinking and spending other people's money, lusted after an 11 year old girl, died penniless and drunk in a friend's shack.

Good role model. :rolleyes:

He was a poet. Are they supposed to be role models, or are you just making snippy remarks because you never heard of him before? No real need to answer that, of course. :rolleyes:

djones520
01-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Your admin came here, tried to pick two different fights with me in the Dome, then disappeared. It's brought up on both sides and is retarded when it is.

WE can be pretty weird sometimes. We try not to let him out to often. :D

When he gets all that booze that we took outta this place into him, theirs just no accounting for what he may do.

biccat
01-12-2009, 12:59 PM
He was a poet. Are they supposed to be role models, or are you just making snippy remarks because you never heard of him before? No real need to answer that, of course. :rolleyes:
I was just noting some of the defining moment's in his life. I leave it up to the reader to determine if his life history bears any relationship to that of our dearly departed CW. The choice of such a pseudonym suggests similar interests, at least in part.

We've had the "why did you choose your handle" discussion before, and more often than not, the 'name' chosen bears some relationship to the poster's personal life.

megimoo
01-12-2009, 01:04 PM
oh, okay. I see it now. Yes, of course that's CW's blog; he named it after the poet Dowson, who wrote the poem he quotes from in his title - "Non sum qualis eram bonae sum qualis Cynarae".What a cultured cuss you really are ,Even latin !:rolleyes:

Goldwater
01-12-2009, 01:11 PM
I was just noting some of the defining moment's in his life. I leave it up to the reader to determine if his life history bears any relationship to that of our dearly departed CW. The choice of such a pseudonym suggests similar interests, at least in part.

We've had the "why did you choose your handle" discussion before, and more often than not, the 'name' chosen bears some relationship to the poster's personal life.

Van Gogh cut off his ear and died poor. What a no talent bum.

PoliCon
01-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Why? Because the title's in Latin? It's a very famous poem, whether you're familiar with it or not. ;)oh yes. I say that based alone on the fact that the poem is in latin. Anyone who knows latin is an elitist - that's exactly what I am saying. :rolleyes:

biccat
01-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Van Gogh cut off his ear and died poor. What a no talent bum.

I suppose that this would be a relevant post if you had chosen "Van Gogh" as your handle.

megimoo
01-12-2009, 01:29 PM
oh yes. I say that based alone on the fact that the poem is in latin. Anyone who knows latin is an elitist - that's exactly what I am saying. :rolleyes:even the pope ?

wilbur
01-12-2009, 01:29 PM
oh yes. I say that based alone on the fact that the poem is in latin. Anyone who knows latin is an elitist - that's exactly what I am saying. :rolleyes:

Your fuckwittery is truly legendary.

biccat
01-12-2009, 01:31 PM
even the pope ?

The Pope also speaks German, making him both an elitist and a Nazi.

PoliCon
01-12-2009, 01:31 PM
even the pope ?You do recognize sarcasm right?

PoliCon
01-12-2009, 01:32 PM
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd202/penntell/asshole.jpg

Your fuckwittery is truly legendary.

Tu scronium es

djones520
01-12-2009, 01:34 PM
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd202/penntell/asshole.jpg

Tu scronium es

I like google. *chuckles*

linda22003
01-12-2009, 01:35 PM
oh yes. I say that based alone on the fact that the poem is in latin. Anyone who knows latin is an elitist - that's exactly what I am saying. :rolleyes:

The poem is in English.:cool:

PoliCon
01-12-2009, 01:35 PM
I like google. *chuckles*Fun huh :) find the stuff you need and stomp down a massive carbon footprint in the process :D What is there NOT to love? :cool:

asdf2231
01-12-2009, 05:38 PM
I never banned anyone for personal disagreements. In fact I encouraged the disagreements, big time. I banned some dickheads when their personal disagreements with me flowed over into being a problem with the board, which happen in a few cases. These people don’t take responsibility for their own actions and defined the banning in terms of me but that is not the reality.

You banned DJones for calling you "childish" when you blundered into a thread with your usual bullshit about Israel in a thread that had nothing to do with Israel. You were attacking another poster for being a Neo Con Jew Lover. (Pardon me PRO ISRAEL supporter, no anti semitism here, move along you lookie-loos!)

That's it. One comment and you banned him. That was at the height of your mental retardation in the wake of your "great conversion" and the board getting over-run by the Paultards.

If we had the archives still people could see where he asked "Aren't you being a little childish?" followed by his banning.

Nice to see you are keeping busy rewriting history in your retirement though.

Schadenfreude
01-12-2009, 05:47 PM
A better question re: the blogger.... "A sphincter says what?"

Sorry I know no latin, but if I were to speak latin, it would be "A sphincter says quis?" :cool:

Moon
01-12-2009, 06:09 PM
By and large I agree with you, except with regards to the bolded. I think a lot of people here, perhaps not the majority, but certainly a very vocal number, have huge issues with anyone who is not heterosexual.

One of my issues with the Republican Party in general is that it allows itself to get sucked into that dividing line, and I personally don't see where that should be in play at the federal level. "Rights" with respect to gay marriage, partnership benefits, etc., should be determined primarily at the state level. I think we hurt our cause at the federal level by being involved in such things.

Well said, nice lawyer lady.

Phillygirl
01-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Well said, nice lawyer lady.

Take that back.

MrsSmith
01-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Sheesh, someone just mentions CW and gator in the same thread...and it looks like it's headed for the Dome. Come on, people, is it worth it? CW spent most of his time on this board kissing up to a few, and kicking a few others in the teeth. gator is...well, you know. Laugh it off already! :rolleyes::D

SarasotaRepub
01-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Exactly Mrs Smith. :D

Zathras
01-12-2009, 07:38 PM
You banned DJones for calling you "childish" when you blundered into a thread with your usual bullshit about Israel in a thread that had nothing to do with Israel. You were attacking another poster for being a Neo Con Jew Lover. (Pardon me PRO ISRAEL supporter, no anti semitism here, move along you lookie-loos!)

That's it. One comment and you banned him. That was at the height of your mental retardation in the wake of your "great conversion" and the board getting over-run by the Paultards.

If we had the archives still people could see where he asked "Aren't you being a little childish?" followed by his banning.

Nice to see you are keeping busy rewriting history in your retirement though.

Well, Gator does have a lot of free time between bitching about the color of the carpet and attending pro-Hamas rallys in Florida so he has to keep busy you know.

asdf2231
01-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Sheesh, someone just mentions CW and gator in the same thread...and it looks like it's headed for the Dome. Come on, people, is it worth it? CW spent most of his time on this board kissing up to a few, and kicking a few others in the teeth. gator is...well, you know. Laugh it off already! :rolleyes::D

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l307/asdf2231/Motivational/natlhi5day041907.jpg

PoliCon
01-12-2009, 09:02 PM
and kicking a few others in the teeth. CW was a jackass - if you get too close to the ass end of a leftist - you have to be prepared to get kicked.

RobJohnson
01-13-2009, 01:03 AM
The Pope also speaks German, making him both an elitist and a Nazi.

You are killing me!!! :D

Ree
01-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Short and to the point....:D

Ree
01-21-2009, 04:50 PM
A crazy old coot??

BadCat
01-21-2009, 07:35 PM
You all just found out CW had that blog?
It's been there a long time, he's redecorated it fairly recently, since I guess he has some spare time since he's not here.

BadCat
01-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Did you guys catch this snippet at CWs blog?

I'm back, after a year and a half hiatus, posting mainly at my Crazy Uncle's website which, unfortunately in pain and despair resulting from the recent elections, has suffered a severe turn to the right (12/13/2008)

Did you know this place turned to the right?

MrsSmith
01-21-2009, 08:24 PM

Oh, yeah...made a major change. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Or not.

SarasotaRepub
01-21-2009, 08:25 PM

:eek: I'm shocked I tell ya!!! :eek:

RobJohnson
01-22-2009, 12:35 AM

CW would of loved to have changed this into a NU.

Gald we were able to put his dentist girlfriend through college.

Ree
01-22-2009, 01:56 AM
CW would of loved to have changed this into a NU.

Gald we were able to put his dentist girlfriend through college.
I thought he just fucked whores...A girlfriend? and she puts up with him goin to the pros? Right....:rolleyes:

Sonnabend
01-22-2009, 03:28 AM
"Mr Superior" is a historical revisionist.

I admit freely..both my mother and CW have travelled far more extensively than I have.

Both of them have been a lot of places I have never seen.

Both of them came back just as narrow minded, bigoted and smug and superior as when they left. I may not be as "sophisticated:" as CW....but I'd rather be me, warts and all, than a callous, insensitive, vicious creep with an overinflated ego and a superiority complex,always bragging of his "conquests".

He spent half his time kicking Sarah Palin..a woman with more class, intelligence and humanity than he will ever be capable of.

No loss.

SarasotaRepub
01-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Locking this. We have CU and CW has his bloggy.