PDA

View Full Version : 90 year old grease?

Phillygirl
01-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Dyers deep fried hamburgers (http://www.dyersonbeale.com/)

Seriously, I'm not a health food fanatic...but ewww!

Jumpy
01-11-2009, 08:51 PM
It reminds me of one of those Friendship Cakes.. where it could last forever. It really is gross if you think about it.

Phillygirl
01-11-2009, 08:57 PM
It reminds me of one of those Friendship Cakes.. where it could last forever. It really is gross if you think about it.

Yeah. We had one of those starter fruit thingies. I can't ever remember eating it, just having it there.

Jumpy
01-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Yeah. We had one of those starter fruit thingies. I can't ever remember eating it, just having it there.

You stir it once a day.. and babysit it, while it ferments on the counter top. If I recall correctly.. then you use half of it to bake a cake, and you pass on the other half to a friend, who uses your unused half as a starter.

I can't imagine how folks never got food poisoning, or drunk from this.

Phillygirl
01-11-2009, 09:07 PM
You stir it once a day.. and babysit it, while it ferments on the counter top. If I recall correctly.. then you use half of it to bake a cake, and you pass on the other half to a friend, who uses your unused half as a starter.

Now I remember...my mom never made a cake with it...she put it over ice cream. And yeah, you could get drunk off of it.

linda22003
01-12-2009, 07:54 AM

This place was on television last night, on the travel channel. No wonder the South is referred to as the "stroke belt". :eek:

I thought of some of the residents at CU, when a place in Texas was profiled. It's famous for chicken-fried bacon.

Phillygirl
01-12-2009, 10:25 AM
This place was on television last night, on the travel channel. No wonder the South is referred to as the "stroke belt". :eek:

I thought of some of the residents at CU, when a place in Texas was profiled. It's famous for chicken-fried bacon.

Yes, I was watching it. Seriously disgusting. That grease looked awful, I don't care about their claims of straining it and "purifying" it.

linda22003
01-12-2009, 10:28 AM
There were also tons of ads for some guy who's going to competitively eat burgers at some joint in Boston, up against a near-future stroke case. There were baking sheets full of fries in front of them, as well. :eek:

Phillygirl
01-12-2009, 10:32 AM
There were also tons of ads for some guy who's going to competitively eat burgers at some joint in Boston, up against a near-future stroke case. There were baking sheets full of fries in front of them, as well. :eek:

Man against Food. I have just seen a few of his shows. They will make you vomit just thinking about how much he eats!!

linda22003
01-12-2009, 10:43 AM
And it's on at 10 pm. If I wanted to watch guys eat all that crap (a big "if" to begin with), why would I do it at bedtime?

Gingersnap
01-12-2009, 10:53 AM

Because it's a sourdough starter, not a rotting mass of decomposed cellular material. My starter has lived happily in a crock on my counter for a good long time. Starter is a yeast organism. Healthy starters kill non-congenial yeasts and other organisms. If a starter is fed, stirred, and frequently used, it will seldom go over. ;)

Phillygirl
01-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Because it's a sourdough starter, not a rotting mass of decomposed cellular material. My starter has lived happily in a crock on my counter for a good long time. Starter is a yeast organism. Healthy starters kill non-congenial yeasts and other organisms. If a starter is fed, stirred, and frequently used, it will seldom go over. ;)

No, it's fruit compote starter. Lots of sugar and adding fruit. The stuff will make you drunk just opening the jar.

Gingersnap
01-12-2009, 11:03 AM
No, it's fruit compote starter. Lots of sugar and adding fruit. The stuff will make you drunk just opening the jar.

It's still a sourdough yeast organism even if the starter uses fruit instead flour. Fermentation is fermentation and all yeasts produce alcohol. I'm as germ-crazy as anybody but I don't fear healthy starters. Unhealthy starters are easy to identify.

Phillygirl
01-12-2009, 11:06 AM
It's still a sourdough yeast organism even if the starter uses fruit instead flour. Fermentation is fermentation and all yeasts produce alcohol. I'm as germ-crazy as anybody but I don't fear healthy starters. Unhealthy starters are easy to identify.

Ahhh, I knew you'd trip me up on the chemical composition. :)

megimoo
01-12-2009, 11:09 AM

I can't imagine how folks never got food poisoning, or drunk from this.The SourDough bacteria is user friendly .

tacitus
01-12-2009, 11:40 AM

I agree, deep fried burgers are a heart attack waiting to happen. Even with fresh grease. I can't imagine that 90yr old grease as any worthwhile properties other than axle grease.