PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Ban Encouraged...including hands-free sets

AHeneen
01-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Ban Cell Phones While Driving, Safety Council Says
WASHINGTON — A national safety group is advocating a total ban on cell phone use while driving, saying the practice is clearly dangerous and leads to fatalities.

States should ban drivers from using hand-held and hands-free cell phones, and businesses should prohibit employees from using cell phones while driving on the job, the congressionally chartered National Safety Council says, taking those positions for the first time.

The group's president and chief executive, Janet Froetscher, likened talking on cell phones to drunken driving, saying cell phone use increases the risk of a crash fourfold.

"When our friends have been drinking, we take the car keys away. It's time to take the cell phone away," Froetscher said in interview.

No state currently bans all cell phone use while driving. Six states — California, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Utah and Washington — and the District of Columbia ban the use of hand-held cell phones behind the wheel, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Also, 17 states and the district restrict or ban cell phone use by novice drivers..
Finish reading here (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479186,00.html)

jeskibuff
01-12-2009, 07:35 PM
I'd give this a big thumbs up. Also I'd love to see cops issuing tickets to drivers who park themselves in the fast lane(s) and never move over, the biggest cause of congestion and dangerous situations on our roads today.

PoliCon
01-12-2009, 09:00 PM
I'd give this a big thumbs up. Also I'd love to see cops issuing tickets to drivers who park themselves in the fast lane(s) and never move over, the biggest cause of congestion and dangerous situations on our roads today.Our state has a law making it illegal to travel in the fast lane. You're supposed to pass then pull into the right lane. If you travel for more than 2 miles in the fast lane without passing - you can be ticketed.

jeskibuff
01-13-2009, 07:06 AM
Our state has a law making it illegal to travel in the fast lane. You're supposed to pass then pull into the right lane.That's the way it should be. Every state probably has similar laws, it's just that they're not enforced to the extent that they should be. There'd be a dramatic drop in accidents and congestion if they were. Commutes would even be pleasant!

SarasotaRepub
01-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Sorry, thumbs down. Tell the friggen nanny state to go F itself.
See my day thread in the Lounge. :p

PoliCon
01-13-2009, 09:09 AM
See my day thread in the Lounge. :pI agree. I have no interest in extending the nanny state. What I'd like to see is open season on certain types of drivers. I won't name the worst offenders for fear of getting beaten up by a girl . . . . but the group I'm thinking of generally SUCK behind the wheel of a car - and NOT in the good road head kind of way . . . .

Rebel Yell
01-13-2009, 10:56 AM

Exactly. If they're going to ban my cell phone, they should ban all the mothers' little rug rats in the back seat. I'm alot safer driving with a cell phone to my ear than a mother constantly turing around to look in the back seat at her little satan spawn that won't behave.:mad:

cat714
01-13-2009, 01:13 PM

I totally agree. I have seen many drivers without a cell phone or anything to distract them do stupid ass things on the road. Some people just cannot drive...period!

jeskibuff
01-13-2009, 08:33 PM
See my day thread in the Lounge. :pOkay. I read the "day thread" and somewhat agree. I don't necessarily agree with outlawing cell phone use in a car. But there is a real problem with drivers on phones. Every day I lose count of the number of people who aren't paying attention to their surroundings. When I finally get by them, 90% of the time they're on a cell phone. Should nothing be done? Do you think there is no problem whatsoever?

What I'd like to see is open season on certain types of drivers.What exactly does that mean? While I'd love to see the instant demise of some stupid drivers, I don't think the lead projectile solution would go over too well in today's society. So, if you can't shoot them, what's the next best solution?

I totally agree. I have seen many drivers without a cell phone or anything to distract them do stupid ass things on the road. Some people just cannot drive...period!It's a simple case of driving while distracted, whether that's turning around to yell at the kids, reading the newspaper (or map) that's plastered on their steering wheel, shaving (saw a guy doing that this morning), working on the laptop on the passenger seat or chatting on the phone, these people are dangerous. You all don't think these people deserve to pay some fine for their behaviour? You don't think they're the cause of dangerous situations? If you agree that it's a serious problem, then how best to solve it? If you're happy gambling your life on the millions of inconsiderate idiots on the road today, then maybe you think nothing needs to be done.

I would love to see law enforcement pulling people over for failing to keep to the right (except to pass). I would love to see their yellow pads put to good use by ticketing people who can't or won't pay attention to their driving. I would love to see some stricter requirements necessary before driver's licenses are issued. I would love to see more frequent competency and vision tests for elderly drivers. Does that make me a lover of the "nanny state"? I don't think so. We need some good standards and a means of enforcing them. If you're 106 years old with good vision and mental acuity, then I have no problem with you piloting a vehicle.

This nation has been a mess on the roads, permitting incompetent idiots (easily identifiable nowadays with "Obama" bumper stickers) to get behind the wheel. Other nations (particularly Germany) have more stringent requirements and are much more pleasant to drive in. Left-lane discipline is a habit there - you get over only to pass, then move to the right as soon as you can. Now the last time I drove there was many moons ago, so things may have changed, but that's the way it can be and should be!

PoliCon
01-13-2009, 09:09 PM
What exactly does that mean? While I'd love to see the instant demise of some stupid drivers, I don't think the lead projectile solution would go over too well in today's society. So, if you can't shoot them, what's the next best solution? You know how the cars down in the Australian outback all have the HUGE chrome bumpers that wrap around the car to protect from kangaroos right? :cool:

SarasotaRepub
01-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Okay. I read the "day thread" and somewhat agree. I don't necessarily agree with outlawing cell phone use in a car. But there is a real problem with drivers on phones. Every day I lose count of the number of people who aren't paying attention to their surroundings. When I finally get by them, 90% of the time they're on a cell phone. Should nothing be done? Do you think there is no problem whatsoever?

Commie! :D

I think using a cell phone in a car should be allowed if it's hands free. I use mine everyday and have no problem. Now before I had the ear piece control I agree using one could be annoying and potentially dangerous. I just can't stand when some group or the gubmint makes some sweeping rule like NO cell phones in a car under ANY circumstances.

And we all know people will ignore a stupid "law" like this anyway, I would. Don't tell me I can't use a cell phone even if I'm being responsible and using it hands free. Plus what are ya gonna do with all the cars with OnStar???

jeskibuff
01-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Commie! :DPinko fag! ;)

I think using a cell phone in a car should be allowed if it's hands free.I have no problem with that, as long as you can demonstrate that you're paying attention to your surroundings. If you can't, you should pay the price - a nice little fine.

I use mine everyday and have no problem.Perhaps you do. I've used my cell phone in my car too, but am aware that when I do I'm not paying the attention I should to the road. I will pick up an incoming call but I don't like to and I'll try to end the call ASAP. The people surrounding you are the ones who notice the inattentiveness, not you. Just because you haven't been in an accident (yet) because of it is not proof it isn't a problem. Hands-free just ensures the driver's hands are on the controls, not that his mind is still on the road.

Now before I had the ear piece control I agree using one could be annoying and potentially dangerous. I just can't stand when some group or the gubmint makes some sweeping rule like NO cell phones in a car under ANY circumstances.I agree. But if you demonstrate ineptitude while driving and talking (or reading or shaving...), you ought to get a ticket. Cops could videotape driving behavior instead of shooting their radar guns and traffic problems would diminish as a result.

And we all know people will ignore a stupid "law" like this anyway, I would. Don't tell me I can't use a cell phone even if I'm being responsible and using it hands free.Tell that to PoliCon when you see his massive chrome kangaroo bumpers closing fast in your rearview mirror!

Plus what are ya gonna do with all the cars with OnStar???They're made by GM. They'll all be broken and useless in a couple of years anyway.

SarasotaRepub
01-13-2009, 09:40 PM
OK,OK!!!!:D:D
Hillary Lover...

PoliCon
01-13-2009, 10:01 PM
OK,OK!!!!:D:D
Hillary Lover...
That's just plain HARSH!:eek:

JB
01-13-2009, 11:02 PM
But but but, if it saves just one life we should ban them.

jeskibuff
01-13-2009, 11:17 PM
But but but, if it saves just one life we should ban them.No.

PoliCon and SR have been members here for a while. They pose no danger to anyone.

Maybe we should just put them on "ignore" instead! :D

Oh! You meant banning cell phones! :p

Hillary Lover...I just knew that starting this thread would someday come back to haunt me:
http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?t=4315

JB
01-13-2009, 11:35 PM
No.

PoliCon and SR have been members here for a while. They pose no danger to anyone.

Maybe we should just put them on "ignore" instead! :D

Oh! You meant banning cell phones! :pCan't we do both. :p

+1

PoliCon
01-14-2009, 12:41 AM
Can't we do both. :p

+1http://content.ytmnd.com/content/f/d/9/fd91bd5e2ed15f4074e1c02be38a1acf.jpg