PDA

View Full Version : Great another fat bitch drives up our medical costs!

PoliCon
01-13-2009, 11:46 AM
http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=9FBDD960B763946269E1AA23A9153A1E ?contentId=8238387&version=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

magine you need an MRI exam, but you can't get one because you're too big for the machine.

FOX 4 medical reporter Meryl Lin McKean has the story of one woman who says she was told she could go to the zoo for an MRI.

Carolyn Ragan has been through a lot since a tumor was found on her spine, including surgeries and paralysis. But she says nothing was as humiliating as a trip to the hospital to get an MRI two years ago.

She was told that at 5 feet and 275 pounds, none of the MRI machines would hold her. Carolyn says an assistant began searching for one elsewhere that would.

"So he suggested the Kansas City Zoo. I thought, I know I'm big but I'm not as big as an elephant," she said. "And my husband got mad."

Now because this woman will of course SUE - all MRI mechines will have to be made big enough to fit a wildebeest which will make them cost more and drive up our insurance premiums. She needs to admit that she's FAT and that she needs to lose weight and that it's her own fault not the hospitals that she can't fit in the damn thing. ARGGGGHHHHH.

Gingersnap
01-13-2009, 11:57 AM
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this kind of thing. While I understand that people of most sizes need to be accommodated, I don't think that people of all sizes need to be accommodated on the off chance they show up somewhere.

wilbur
01-13-2009, 12:01 PM
http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=9FBDD960B763946269E1AA23A9153A1E ?contentId=8238387&version=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

Now because this woman will of course SUE - all MRI mechines will have to be made big enough to fit a wildebeest which will make them cost more and drive up our insurance premiums. She needs to admit that she's FAT and that she needs to lose weight and that it's her own fault not the hospitals that she can't fit in the damn thing. ARGGGGHHHHH.

Maybe she did. Nowhere does it suggest she will sue. There have been studies that suggested that obese people actually cost less in the long run (same with smokers) because they die earlier... its those healthy people that end up living long through lots of expensive medical complications as they age that cost the most money.

Gingersnap
01-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Maybe she did. Nowhere does it suggest she will sue. There have been studies that suggested that obese people actually cost less in the long run (same with smokers) because they die earlier... its those healthy people that end up living long through lots of expensive medical complications as they age that cost the most money.

A point I have made in vain many times. I don't really care if they die sooner or not, though. It's the idea of retrofitting everything to fit the obese that bothers me. Maybe getting around should be uncomfortable and difficult if you eat yourself into the obese range. There are precious few incentives for people to watch their weight these days.

noonwitch
01-13-2009, 12:48 PM
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this kind of thing. While I understand that people of most sizes need to be accommodated, I don't think that people of all sizes need to be accommodated on the off chance they show up somewhere.

I'm surprised that there isn't a clinic somewhere that has a specially made MRI machine for the overweight. Kansas City is a large community, I would think one of the hospitals in the area would have one. I'll bet one of the Detroit hospitals does-my bet would be Hutzel.

djones520
01-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Especially with the weight they stated. Yeah, 275 is big for being that tall. But it isn't HUGE. The more I think about it, the more I get the feeling that the assistant that made the zoo comment was being an asshole.

Gingersnap
01-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Especially with the weight they stated. Yeah, 275 is big for being that tall. But it isn't HUGE. The more I think about it, the more I get the feeling that the assistant that made the zoo comment was being an asshole.

Uh.....275 pounds on a 5 foot tall woman is enormous. A good rule of thumb is that most women (not athletes and not pregnant women) should weigh around 100 pounds at 5 feet tall and 5-7 additional pounds for every additional inch until she hits around 5'10" when the inch allotment becomes the same as it is for men.

If her flesh is hanging off the table or touching the sides of the chamber, she's too big.

djones520
01-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Uh.....275 pounds on a 5 foot tall woman is enormous. A good rule of thumb is that most women (not athletes and not pregnant women) should weigh around 100 pounds at 5 feet tall and 5-7 additional pounds for every additional inch until she hits around 5'10" when the inch allotment becomes the same as it is for men.

If her flesh is hanging off the table or touching the sides of the chamber, she's too big.

My wifes 5ft tall and when she was pregnant with out son she got up to 220lbs. Even with the huge prego belly, she would have fit easily into an MRI machine. Yeah, theres a bit of a weight differance between the two, but if you figure it's spread out proportionally throughout the body, the actual body size isn't going to be that hugely differant.

Now, theres the possibility that this woman was one of those people who has all that weight just stuck in one area, like her hips or ass. I could understand it then, but if it was proportional weight, she shouldn't have had to have been told she needed to go to the zoo to get an MRI.

tacitus
01-13-2009, 01:34 PM
The bore on an MRI or CT is not all that big and a normal size person would fit comfortably but come close to the top of the bore.

Newer large bore machines (http://www.uihealthcare.com/news/news/2009/01/05mri.html) are reaching the market that have a bore of 2.3' for the overweight population. There are open sided MRI units but the field strength is <1tesla and the IQ is not all that great if you are obese.

linda22003
01-13-2009, 01:37 PM
The bore on an MRI or CT is not all that big and a normal size person would fit comfortably but come close to the top of the bore.

Agreed. I'm a normal size person, and when I was first slid into a regular MRI the curve fit comfortably around me, but there wasn't a lot of extra room. The overall effect was, "Oh, so this is what the inside of my coffin will be like." :o

PoliCon
01-13-2009, 01:49 PM
A point I have made in vain many times. I don't really care if they die sooner or not, though. It's the idea of retrofitting everything to fit the obese that bothers me. Maybe getting around should be uncomfortable and difficult if you eat yourself into the obese range. There are precious few incentives for people to watch their weight these days.Look - I'm not exactly skinny myself - but I'm not the one out there in the press bitching that I should be accommodated. If my ass was so big that I needed two seats on a plane - damn it I'd pay for two seats.

PoliCon
01-13-2009, 01:51 PM

If her flesh is hanging off the table or touching the sides of the chamber, she's too big.I weigh that much and I'm 6'3!!and like I said - I'm not skinny - but it's not like I have dunlaps - YET!

FlaGator
01-13-2009, 02:57 PM

275 pounds is huge if you're only 5 feet tall. I'm 250 pound and I'm 6' 4'' and I am overweight by about 40 pounds. Your wife may carry her weight better that most. My ex was 150 lbs but she was 6' 0'' and appeared much lighter.

PoliCon
01-13-2009, 03:17 PM
275 pounds is huge if you're only 5 feet tall. I'm 250 pound and I'm 6' 4'' and I am overweight by about 40 pounds. Your wife may carry her weight better that most. My ex was 150 lbs but she was 6' 0'' and appeared much lighter.I'm 275 - doc says I'm 25 over weight. Some of us do carry our weight well.:cool:

FlaGator
01-13-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm 275 - doc says I'm 25 over weight. Some of us do carry our weight well.:cool:

I want to be 210 again. That's when I felt most confortable. On top of everything else, I got diagnosed as being diabetic (type 2) and having PAD. Sweeeet :rolleyes: Both of them can be managed with weight loss and exercise so now I've got some motivation to loose the 40 pounds. Went to a physical trainer at work and had her work up a exercise regiment for me to lose the 40 in a year and not drop dead from a heart attack in the process. I'd really hate to cost you tax payers some extra coin.:D

Lars1701a
01-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Agreed. I'm a normal size person, and when I was first slid into a regular MRI the curve fit comfortably around me, but there wasn't a lot of extra room. The overall effect was, "Oh, so this is what the inside of my coffin will be like." :o

oh boy.....I MUST NOT TYPE WHAT I WANT TO TYPE :D

BSR
01-13-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm 275 - doc says I'm 25 over weight. Some of us do carry our weight well.:cool:

:D
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/2383552107_9353346760.jpg

PoliCon
01-13-2009, 06:06 PM
:D
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/2383552107_9353346760.jpg heh. I may be hefty - but I don't have dunlaps. :p

http://media.bigoo.ws/content/image/funny/funny_684.jpg

I make this look good ese.

Zeus
01-13-2009, 06:20 PM
What about portable MRI machines. Seems like they could handle a large object.

PoliCon
01-13-2009, 06:44 PM
What about portable MRI machines. Seems like they could handle a large object.There are open MRIs - we have them here in pittsburgh. My grandmother always had to go for that once since she is DEEPLY claustrophobic.

tacitus
01-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Yes there are open MRI units but they still have image quality limitations because of the low field strength, somewhere around .25 -.35 Tesla. The larger bore units mentioned in the link have a field strength of 1.5 T and superb image quality for obese people.

PoliCon
01-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Yes there are open MRI units but they still have image quality limitations because of the low field strength, somewhere around .25 -.35 Tesla. The larger bore units mentioned in the link have a field strength of 1.5 T and superb image quality for obese people.at the zoo

MrsSmith
01-13-2009, 08:35 PM
The Espree has a weight limit of 550 lbs (http://www.providence-health.org/pmc/body.cfm?xyzpdqabc=0&id=11&action=detail&ref=66)

New MRI Scanner at Kansas City Imaging Center
is First in the Metropolitan Area
August 3, 2006

Thanks to more headroom, more legroom and more elbowroom, patients, especially those who are claustrophobic, can now relax and have less anxiety while undergoing a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) at the new Kansas City Imaging Center. In addition, the new technology offers faster scanner capability and improved quality pictures.

>>>

“What is most appealing is that the new state-of-the-art scanner offers a level of image quality not possible before in Open MRI. Images are equal in quality to scans obtained with the more typical “closed” MR systems.

>>>

Patient Benefits
There are a number of benefits to patients:

• More headroom (No longer will patients feel like they’re nose-to-nose with the scanner).
• More legroom (The machine is unrestricted and expansive for short and tall patients).
• More elbowroom (Most machines have a weight limit of 400 lbs. The Espree has a weight limit of 550 lbs.).

I would bet on a serious communication problem, since there has been a machine available for over 2 years now.

BSR
01-13-2009, 09:07 PM
at the zoo

http://newmedia.funnyjunk.com/pictures/Your_Fat.jpg

PoliCon
01-13-2009, 09:20 PM
http://newmedia.funnyjunk.com/pictures/Your_Fat.jpghttp://pictures.funnyjunksite.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/funny-baby-pictures-55.jpg

lurkalot
01-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Its not the amount of weight per se that is the concern its the body shape. If you are shaped as an ice cream cone there is absolutely no way you can lay your arms across your chest and lie still in an MRI. Even my petite 200+ at four feet 9 inches would have difficulty

(last sentence added just to cheer up Shannon and Ginger) :D

Constitutionally Speaking
01-14-2009, 06:06 AM
I'm surprised that there isn't a clinic somewhere that has a specially made MRI machine for the overweight.

They do. It is called the zoo. It is not unsafe, unsanitary or anything that would cause harm.

AmPat
01-14-2009, 06:14 AM

And pay into insurance longer.;)

noonwitch
01-14-2009, 08:51 AM

My grandma was 5'2" and weighed about 270 at her heaviest, and she could always find whatever treatment she needed in metro Detroit-I don't know if she ever was given an MRI following her stroke in Traverse City, but if she was, Munson Hospital there was able to accomodate her.

I like your standard, considering I'm 5'10"!

marinejcksn
01-14-2009, 09:39 AM

Exactly. Non-smokers on average cost the Government 100K more by the end of their life than smokers do because of the high costs of end of life care.

Gingersnap
01-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Its not the amount of weight per se that is the concern its the body shape. If you are shaped as an ice cream cone there is absolutely no way you can lay your arms across your chest and lie still in an MRI. Even my petite 200+ at four feet 9 inches would have difficulty

(last sentence added just to cheer up Shannon and Ginger) :D

And we thank you.

*preen*

But you still make a great point despite your porkerhood: it's not always the sheer weight that is a problem in these situations as much as it is the volume. Some obese people are fairly dense but a lot of them are not and when they on the table, they spread out a lot. This interferes with the machines.

I'm not saying this woman shouldn't get an MRI if she needs one, I'm just saying that she shouldn't expect every facility to keep size-appropriate and extremely expensive equipment on hand just in case she needs something. It's not unreasonable to be asked to go to a facility that is equipped for size.

Her outrage is the part I don't get. Of course, it would be humiliating to be so huge that you needed veterinary equipment at a medical appointment but discussing your outrage in the press isn't going to lessen the humiliation.

PoliCon
01-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Her outrage is the part I don't get. Of course, it would be humiliating to be so huge that you needed veterinary equipment at a medical appointment but discussing your outrage in the press isn't going to lessen the humiliation.No - but it does set you up for a terrific lawsuit.